advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mavericks is free but iPhoto requires a paid upgrade?
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 23, 2014 07:12PM
Can this really be true? I upgrade to Mavericks for free but have to shell out $15 to get a compatible version of iPhoto - and that version is ONLY available through the Mac App Store!

(Or, I suppose, get a new Mac with the new iLife software included...?)

In this case I have an air-gapped workstation that cannot be connected to the general internet and therefore, even were the additional cost of acquiring iPhoto not an issue, it could not get the software because it cannot grab the package from the Mac App Store.

How does one get an App-store delivered app onto a non-networked machine?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mavericks is free but iPhoto requires a paid upgrade?
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 23, 2014 07:17PM
gabester

Mavericks is also an App-store delivered app, so use a similar method.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 23, 2014 07:38PM
welcome to the New Apple.

---
Date: January 23, 2014 07:45PM
GGD
gabester

Except, once downloaded to an internet-connected Mac, I can copy the "Install OS X Mavericks.app" to a thumb drive and move it to the air-gapped Mac in question...

A bit of searching around suggests that iPhoto 9.4.3 may work... But it'll be a while before my ~800MB download finishes for me to be able to report back about it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 23, 2014 07:56PM
9.4.3 should be much better than the iPhoto from Mac App store, just look at those reviews.

Apple butchered iLife and iWork with the latest updates.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: January 23, 2014 08:06PM
gabester
Except, once downloaded to an internet-connected Mac, I can copy the "Install OS X Mavericks.app" to a thumb drive and move it to the air-gapped Mac in question...

...If and only if you originally downloaded it from the App Store on a work computer that you are the sole user of.

[www.apple.com]

If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/legal/ itunes/ww/) (“Usage Rules”), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

(i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Lion or OS X Snow Leopard (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control;

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software for use either: (a) by a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Apple Software on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use the Apple Software on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library; and

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, non-commercial use.
Date: January 23, 2014 08:07PM
The idea of having everything come from an app store instead of traditional file downloads... I suppose it's time to look into Linux again.
Posted by: MEG
Date: January 23, 2014 08:31PM
If you have any computer with iPhoto 11, you can transfer iPhoto 11 to another of your computers for free. iPhoto 09 (i.e., iPhoto v8.x) will work with Mavericks so you'll only need to pay for an upgrade if your copy of iPhoto is older than 5 years or you really want to get the features of the current version. Of course, if the app store detects even just a trial copy of the apps from iLife 09 you can download the current version for free...just sayin' ;)

gabester

Well, from a bandwidth challenged Mac standpoint you can do the same with iPhoto too. However if the hiccup is getting it to verify on the new Mac (with your AppleID account), that I don't know what you'd do. sad smiley
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 23, 2014 09:25PM
gabester
The idea of having everything come from an app store instead of traditional file downloads... I suppose it's time to look into Linux again.

Yeah, I tried that Linux route - no more! Whew, what a mess that was trying to do just a bit of what my OS X can do.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: January 24, 2014 07:13AM
OK, good news, I was too quick to panic and see the iPhoto 9.5 for $15 upgrade route but in fact downloading 9.4.3 as indicated above works just fine.

Not sure why one would want iPhoto 9.5 then... Some terrible reviews.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 06, 2015 09:32PM
gabester
GGD
gabester

A bit of searching around suggests that iPhoto 9.4.3 may work... But it'll be a while before my ~800MB download finishes for me to be able to report back about it.

Thanks, this really helped me out!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020