Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Migrating to "new" iMac
Posted by: steveroberts
Date: January 24, 2014 09:52AM
Friends,

Just received my "new" mid-2011 iMac. I'm going to wipe the drive then fresh-install Mountain Lion, which is also the OS on my current iMac.

After that, it's migration time. My plan is to connect the computers with an ethernet cable and then run migration assistant.

Is that the best course of action, or would you recommend a different approach?

SR
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Migrating to "new" iMac
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 24, 2014 10:29AM
Sounds perfect to me -- unless you want to start fresh for some reason...?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: clay
Date: January 24, 2014 11:17AM
should be fine, especially if it's a similar machine with the same version of OS. But....plenty of folks will tell you that migration assistant is the source of unexplained issues that go away when a fresh install is done after going the route of migration assistant.

I just did a fresh install of 10.9.1...first fresh install in several years. I've had plenty of good experience with migration assistant, but sometimes it's a good thing to just start over, especially if you've migrated between a few different machines or versions of OS. Unneeded files are bound to get brought along in migrations, and sometimes its good to start fresh to get rid of possible 'gremlins'.

But...you should be fine with a migration if that's the route you choose.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 24, 2014 01:33PM
I've never been a big fan of MA - I've heard too many stories of people having problems with new installs after using it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 24, 2014 01:43PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I've never been a big fan of MA - I've heard too many stories of people having problems with new installs after using it.

MA is absolutely perfect when doing a minor jump, but anyone thinking that going from 10.6 to 10.9 in one jump should take LOTS of precautions.

I've never had a problem on any personal machine - I've must have done a dozen MA transfers for my stuff alone. Not one problem. I've done 100 at least for others - not one problem. But I almost always am upgrading just to the very next level.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 24, 2014 05:55PM
I'd use this transition time to give Mavericks a try.

My experience has been good, though not perfect, with that non-cat Mac OS.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 24, 2014 08:33PM
Might be faster with a different connection. Do both iMacs have FireWire, or maybe a FW to Tbolt connection?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 146
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020