advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: My first Mac was...
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 24, 2014 12:21PM
March 1985 Macintosh 512 + External 400K Floppy + ImageWriter. Included MacWrite and MacPaint and in addition to manuals there were some audio cassettes with tutorials.

A few years later did upgrade to 512Ke with the 128KB ROM upgrade and 800K internal floppy drive.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 24, 2014 12:26PM
Performa 400 around 1990 I think?

I finally got tired of all the unfulfilled promises that Atari was making at the time and switched. Never looked back.

My most expensive Mac? A Powerbook Duo 280c. I think that puppy set me back $3300. smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 24, 2014 12:27PM
Mac LC, 80MB HD, 2MB RAM (I took it to 10!), 12" RGB monitor, c.1991-92, I think.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: January 24, 2014 12:29PM
Performa 575
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 24, 2014 12:32PM
abevilac
Mac SE in 1987. Still have it and it still works.

Ditto. Bought only used Macs until the clones came along. Macs were too expensive.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: billb
Date: January 24, 2014 12:42PM
Buzz

as memories aren't always chronologically accurate I could have sworn I had my first one long before 1967

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: jardster
Date: January 24, 2014 12:48PM
Mac- 1991 SE/30

Apple- iiGS years before the SE/30

Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 24, 2014 12:54PM
Performa 6400 which just last week was set out on the curb for bulk trash pickup. I was silly to keep it around as long as I did, but I had a hell of a lot of fun upgrading it thanks to you guys back on the dealchat forums, and it was useful for years beyond what one might expect.

Posted by: timg
Date: January 24, 2014 12:56PM
1989 - Mac SE FDHD

Bought it used with an aftermarket HD upgrade. Still have it.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Bo
Date: January 24, 2014 01:07PM
Quadra 840AV in 1993

Bought it when I graduated college for just north of $4000. I vowed never to pay a premium for the fastest machine ever again.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: January 24, 2014 01:18PM
Classic II. Quickly returned it to MicroCenter and swapped it for the equally crippled, but color enabled, LC II. Think this was late 1992, but maybe on closeout in early 1993. Got rid of the LC II in 2012.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 01:26PM by silvarios.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 24, 2014 01:22PM
GuyGene
I don't remember seeing a thread like this here, and since it's Mac's 30 birthday...

We've had them before, but it's been a while and it is the Mac's 30th birthday, so let's do it!

First Mac used: Mac SE (1986)
First Mac owned: Quadra 610 (1993)

Observations:
- the seven years between when I first used a Mac and when I first owned one were an ETERNITY
- I still own and use the Extended II Keyboard purchased with my first Mac.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 24, 2014 01:25PM
TheTominator
Performa 6200

Mine too (a 6205CD to be precise).
Posted by: montana
Date: January 24, 2014 01:29PM
1986: MacPlus

First non-beige Mac for $1,800. I lived in Germany at the time, near Heidelberg.
Date: January 24, 2014 01:30PM
OWC Jamie
How about back even further. Here's my running list smiling smiley

Apple //e 1982
Apple //GS 1986
Mac IIcx 1989
Mac IIsi 1991
PowerBook 140 1992
PowerBook 165c 1993
PowerMac 8100 1994
PowerBook 540c 1995
PowerMac 6100 1995
PowerMac 9500 1995
PowerBook 3400c 1997
20th Anniversary Macintosh 1999 (Bought after discontinued, still have, still working, still stops people in their tracks to look at in my office...)
PowerBook G3 Lombard 1999
PowerBook G3 Pismo 1999
PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth) 1999
PowerMac G4 Cube (2000) (still working)
PowerBook G4 500MHz 2001
PowerBook G4 17" 2003
PowerMac G4 Mirrored Drive Doors 2003
PowerBook G4 17" 2004
PowerMac G5 2005
MacBook Pro 17" 2006
Mac mini 2006
MacBook Pro 17" 2008
MacBook Pro 17" 2009
Mac mini 2009
iMac 27" 2010
MacBook Pro 17" 2011
Mac mini 2012

Show-off! winking smiley

(From 2000 or so on, my list would look very similar to yours.)

It is what it is.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 24, 2014 01:51PM
Mac Plus
Mac IIci
PowerMac 7500
PowerMac G4/450 dual
PowerMac G5
MacBook Pro 15" Core2Duo
27" iMac / MBA for work

Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: January 24, 2014 01:53PM
Macintosh TV, still have it.

I will buy a converter box for it someday. winking smiley
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 24, 2014 01:56PM
billb
Buzz

as memories aren't always chronologically accurate I could have sworn I had my first one long before 1967

Mickey D's was around before then, but IIRC the national Big Mac roll out was in 1968... I just remember it as my old childhood buddy that worked at the not-quite-local-to-us store, telling me about it, and that I had to come try it out. It took me probably about three weeks to finally get around to do so. They came w/ a card stock ring around 'em, wrapped in foil paper.

Computer-wise, my little brother worked at Apple starting a few years pre-Mac, so I had a pretty impressive laundry list of early Mac ownership.

==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: RonT
Date: January 24, 2014 02:05PM
I still have my original 128K Mac along with a 512K that I picked up along the way. Also have 2 image writer 1's with spare ribbons, one external floppy drive, and all the original software MacWrite, Paint, Draw etc that came with the 128 along with the original v1.0 floppies of Microsoft Word and Excel.

Both computers still boot up however the libricant on the internal drive on the 128 has hardened an it takes some coaxing with a paper clip to get it to eject occasionally.

I'm thinking it's getting nigh~onto time to put everything on eBay and downsize.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 24, 2014 02:11PM
Carnos Jax
TheTominator
Performa 6200

Mine too (a 6205CD to be precise).

Ours too, a Performa 6200CD "Road Apple"

My first Mac that actually seemed like I could actually get some work done on was a G4 533mhz Dual aka: the DA = Digital Audio Mac.

$tevie I haven't gotten up the nerve to throw my 6400 out yet.

Grateful11
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 24, 2014 02:30PM
$tevie I haven't gotten up the nerve to throw my 6400 out yet.

I still have my 6500, complete with Zip drive and a 27G Maxtor HD. (I think the original HD was 10G.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 24, 2014 03:00PM
Mac Classic in 1990.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 24, 2014 03:06PM
Whew, y'all boys have had some Macs! I didn't mean Apple I, II, etc., just Macintosh (maybe I should have spelled it out to keep McDonald's out...). Today is the Mac's birthday, not Apple's. A few years different.

OWC Jamie, I see you're about two years behind now. Ye'd better go get a new Mac! Me too.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 03:07PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 24, 2014 03:23PM
First Apple was Apple II+ with 48k ram and floppy drive. First Mac was the first Mac and the list goes on from there.
Posted by: JPK
Date: January 24, 2014 03:27PM
SE Dual Floppy drives & ImageWriter II. Bought it at the University of Iowa Computing Center and it was their first SE delivered. My roommate had a 512kE. We had two macs in our dorm room which of course led to some late night Mad Dog 20/20 induced Dark Castle tournaments!

JPK
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: January 24, 2014 03:44PM
Buzz

There's one in every crowd!

OK, OK, I admit it was funny

Mac Classic
Performa 475
Performa 6200
Powermac 6500
Sunflower iMac 800
IMac 27" 2.8 1gh video

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: January 24, 2014 03:48PM
GuyGene
Whew, y'all boys have had some Macs! I didn't mean Apple I, II, etc., just Macintosh (maybe I should have spelled it out to keep McDonald's out...). Today is the Mac's birthday, not Apple's. A few years different.

OWC Jamie, I see you're about two years behind now. Ye'd better go get a new Mac! Me too.

Oh, I know... I really REALLY like the 17" machines. But will be changing to a Retina 15" very soon, shall see how I like it. May even migrate back if it's not what I am comfortable with. Speed is not everything at this point smiling smiley An i7 of any flavor is fast enough for the majority of what I am doing or I use a 2nd machine for compressing video or other tasks.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Zachdog-
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 24, 2014 04:34PM
My partner at work (who really introduced me to Mac) did the same thing with his SE- upgraded it to an SE30...and damn! that thing was fast!

I remember laughing when I saw how quickly the control panel and extensions icons popped up when it booted...
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 24, 2014 04:46PM
N-OS X-tasy!

Does someone actually make an ADB-to-USB adapter? Wouldn't think there would be a lot of demand.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: silvarios
Date: January 24, 2014 04:55PM
mrlynn
N-OS X-tasy!

Does someone actually make an ADB-to-USB adapter? Wouldn't think there would be a lot of demand.

/Mr Lynn

Used to be a few on the market.
Posted by: WI Boilermaker
Date: January 24, 2014 05:07PM
SE with 4MB's of RAM and a 20MB HDD.

That was expensive.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 24, 2014 05:24PM
My first transformative Mac experience was with a shared SE/30 in fall of 1988. I was converted in one hour, as I needed to make a science poster in grad school. I finished what was days and days of work the ol' fashioned way - in one night.

My first personal Mac was an SE made from 4 different dead Macs in the winter of 1989 as I recall; great deal, all I need to purchase was new RAM. I used it for at least 5 years at work - I was the ONLY grad student with their own Mac! Worked great because our department installed Apple Talk in every lab.

My first Mac purchase was a Mac IIci - 1991 or so. I used it for years, and it was inherited by my first graduate student.
Posted by: Frank
Date: January 24, 2014 05:48PM
llsi

Then...
Power Mac 7200
G3 300 (had 3 of these)
iBook G3
G4 Quicksilver 867
PowerBook G4 1GHz
G5 Tower dual 2GHz
MacMini
iMac 3.2, i3

there may have been more, can't remember
Posted by: flareslow
Date: January 24, 2014 05:50PM
128K - May 1984
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: January 24, 2014 05:55PM
In late 1996, I believe, I bought my dad's LCIII for $300. He replaced it with a Performa 6230, or something...it had a built-in TV tuner! The LCIII was my first Mac. That was when I first found DealMac, too (this forum's predecessor).

A couple years after I bought a Motorola Starmax 5500. That was the first "Mac" I bought new.

Then, just before my daughter was born in early 2003 I bought my first new real (non-clone) Mac, an MDD 867.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: January 24, 2014 06:10PM
At work, 1985 or so, a little Mac with 2 floppy drives: was that a 512? I just don't recall anymore. It was soon replaced with a Mac Plus.

The first one I owned was a wonderful SE/30 — a 1989 Mother's Day gift from my husband and then-2-year-old son. Still own the machine, but haven't turned it on in many years.

Cue song: Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance forever and a day...
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 24, 2014 06:35PM
PowerBook 140 1992
Date: January 24, 2014 07:25PM
OWC Jamie
An i7 of any flavor is fast enough for the majority of what I am doing

Yup. My 2011 15" i7 MBP is more than fast enough for the tasks I use it for. In another year or so I will replace the stock HD with an SSD of similar capacity -- the performance increase will be so great it will be like getting a new computer!

It is what it is.
Date: January 24, 2014 07:28PM
silvarios
mrlynn
N-OS X-tasy!

/Mr Lynn

Used to be a few on the market.

I believe they pop up on eBay from time to time. I purchased mine new way back in 2001. It's worked flawlessly with every Mac desktop I've owned since then (2 PowerMac G4s, a PowerMac G5, and three iMacs).

It is what it is.
Date: January 24, 2014 07:30PM
sekker
My first transformative Mac experience was with a shared SE/30 in fall of 1988. I was converted in one hour, as I needed to make a science poster in grad school. I finished what was days and days of work the ol' fashioned way - in one night.

An SE/30, MS Word, MS Excel and Cricket Graph were the only tools I needed to earn my BSME back in the early '90s.

EDIT: Add Disinfectant to that list. College computer labs were notorious cesspools for virii back in those days -- scanning the SE/30's HD with Disinfectant was a mandatory step before inserting my data floppies.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 07:33PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: January 24, 2014 07:33PM
Quadra 650

and then
Desktop PowerMac G3/266
Graphite iBook G3/466 SE
Titanium PowerBook G4/1.0
iBook G4/1.0
MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.2... still chuggin' hard

... still have all of them.

• back to confinement

Re: Zachdog-
Posted by: zachdog
Date: January 24, 2014 07:35PM
pdq
My partner at work (who really introduced me to Mac) did the same thing with his SE- upgraded it to an SE30...and damn! that thing was fast!

I remember laughing when I saw how quickly the control panel and extensions icons popped up when it booted...

I loved that machine! It's the only one I kept. I gave the rest to family members or sold them on sleazebay.
Re: Zachdog-
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 24, 2014 07:37PM
zachdog
pdq

I loved that machine! It's the only one I kept. I gave the rest to family members or sold them on sleazebay.
We had an SE/30 in daily service as a key server until 2005 or so. One of the capacitors blew on the mother board.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: January 24, 2014 07:55PM
I came late to the Mac scene... as a youngster I was more interested in Music & Girls & Surfing & Partying than working (or anything that seemed remotely like working). The year was 1997 and the Mac was a hand me down SE HD with 4MB of RAM and 20MB internal HD that my mom gave me for "my kids".

Within a month of that SE entering my house I had purchased a Quadra 650 on eBay and then went through the litany of every upgrade possible, as I slid rapidly down the slippery slope and into the black-hole of Macdom forever..... smileys with beer

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 24, 2014 07:58PM
First Apple was a //c, bought in 1984 shortly after it was introduced with my Bar Mitzvah money. I decided on the //c over an IBM PC Jr. b/c we had Apple //+ and //e in school. I got the Monitor ][ instead of the little monitor for the //c, though.

First Mac was not a Mac at all, but a Power Computing PowerBase 200MT in 1996. I upgraded the 603e processor to a G3 via daughter card a few years later. A college roommate had a Mac Plus (made lots of fake IDs with MacPaint and a Color Imagewriter printer) and a later roommate had an SE. Lots of Macs in the computer labs also.

BOTH computers are still in my basement in their original boxes. I even have the unused, multi-color Apple stickers with the //c.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: January 24, 2014 08:15PM
Mac Plus. And the phenomenally expensive ImageWriter. I probably have the receipts somewhere.
Posted by: rapayn1
Date: January 24, 2014 09:12PM
Performa 550CD
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 24, 2014 09:32PM
My first Mac was a PowerMac 6100, I still have the Installation DVD CD! 1st wife kept in in the divorce, so I downgraded to a used SE/30 (still have it. Dunno if it works. Then got a Powerbook G3.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: polychrome
Date: January 24, 2014 10:44PM
Mac Plus in 1986.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 24, 2014 11:45PM
Speaking of expensive ImageWriter printer. I bought StyleWriter Pro, OMG that thing was high.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020