advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Netflix vs Verizon FiOS solution...maybe.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: March 17, 2014 10:10AM
My recent posts about the lag that I experience with Netflix and Verizon has another wrinkle. I figured that Verizon was limiting my bandwidth, I could try to upgrade to FiOS extreme (faster speeds).

After upgrading to FiOS extreme, I noticed that the Netflix would still lag at around 30 minutes, but then it would pick up nearly immediately. I would guess that Verizon has a CPU somewhere upstream to me checking and throttling back. When it finds out that I am a FiOS extreme user, it allows the content to stream.

Once I get more experience, I'll report back...but I think this is the solution...pay more to Verizon.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Netflix vs Verizon FiOS solution...maybe.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 17, 2014 10:39AM
or use a VPN.
Date: March 17, 2014 11:08AM
Bill in NC
or use a VPN.

I tried unblockus, openDNS, and while it intermittently helped, it really did not resolve the issue. I suspect that Verizon simply does a downstream counter to determine if they want to throttle you back.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 17, 2014 11:38AM
I the VPN is properly configured and you're sure the Netflix device is using the VPN, Verizon would have no reason to throttle speeds. They wouldn't know what you're doing.

The current alternative is to use Netflix with AppleTV. Netflix sends those users content through a different CDN: Level 3, not Cogent. Cogent is who Verizon has a beef with, not Level 3.

If Netflix doesn't stream well that way, there's another network problem, maybe your LAN, not throttling.
Date: March 17, 2014 02:34PM
deckeda
I the VPN is properly configured and you're sure the Netflix device is using the VPN, Verizon would have no reason to throttle speeds. They wouldn't know what you're doing.

The current alternative is to use Netflix with AppleTV. Netflix sends those users content through a different CDN: Level 3, not Cogent. Cogent is who Verizon has a beef with, not Level 3.

If Netflix doesn't stream well that way, there's another network problem, maybe your LAN, not throttling.

When I experience the lag, my other network functions work just fine--but youtube will also occassionally slow down. Wouldn't verizon be able to throttle down all downstream packets to me? Would they simply target specific upstream carriers like Cogent?

Date: March 17, 2014 03:38PM
Wouldn't verizon be able to throttle down all downstream packets to me?

Sure they could. But only ISPs with hardly any bandwidth to offer do that. Sprint/Clear etc.

Would they simply target specific upstream carriers like Cogent?

That's why I said Netflix via AppleTV works fine--Netflix sees the AppleTV client and routes its traffic through Level 3, a different CDN. Verizon sees the Netflix traffic but has no (current) beef with Level 3, and so lets it sail through.

Oh man ... that's what all the news has been about! Verizon wants money from Cogent. Says Cogent is costing them money due to Cogent sending heavy Netflix content to Verizon. And so to retaliate, they slow down Cogent traffic when it carries Netflix. Cogent and other CDNs will be squeezed out of the market as ISPs deal directly with content providers (like Comcast just did with Netflix.)

The precedent for that scenario was set years ago, with TV shows. Cable company wants to carry shows customers want, and so must pay for it. Then, the cable company said that in order to reach their customers, the content providers must pay. Ever have a TV show disappear during one of these spats? That's the closest thing to slowing down content from one provider, making it painful to use Neat, huh? Our bills go higher, either way.

I'm going to keep on saying it: A major reason our ISPs have us by the short hairs is because we previously empowered them (or their predecessors) to do so with subscription TV dollars.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 17, 2014 03:59PM
deckeda

That seems like a great suggestion, but the long, long, long threads regarding Apple TV Netflix problems on Apple's boards suggests this is NOT a magic bullet to solve Netflix streaming problems.

Edit: I had my share of woes with Netflix on Apple TV with two different ISPs, frustratingly, the Apple TV was the only device of a half dozen or more with the problem, so…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 04:06PM by silvarios.
Date: March 17, 2014 06:08PM
I wonder if that was back when Level 3 instead of Cogent was the bogey. Somebody, Netflix or one of the ISPs had a big fallout with them at one time.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 17, 2014 07:31PM
deckeda
I'm going to keep on saying it: A major reason our ISPs have us by the short hairs is because we previously empowered them (or their predecessors) to do so with subscription TV dollars.

Yes. Which is why I don't have a cable sub anymore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020