advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Returning User Folders to larger SSD
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: March 17, 2014 10:12AM
A few years ago, I began booting my iMac with an external SSD, but it was smaller and I put only the system and applications on that drive, while housing my User Folders on an external drive. It has worked well.

With SSD prices coming down, I upgaded to a large enough SSD to boot *and* hold my User Folders. My problem: How to move the User Folders back.

Simply moving the folders, I run into all kind of permissions problems. When I did a clean install of the new SSD and ran Migration Assistant, it worked, but it continued to "see" the User Folders on the existing external drive.

I'm confounded I'm all backed up, but this is proving tricky. I have a MacBook Air I could use, and plenty of external drives, if that helps. Does anyone have a suggestion of the easiest way to do this?

Thanks.

Todd
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Returning User Folders to larger SSD
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 17, 2014 10:48AM
If only you would have left the users folder where it belonged and made alias to your data on the other drive inside those folders. Then you could have deleted the alias and copied the original folder back in.

Hopefully one of the forum members who keep recommending relocating the users folder has an easy idea on how to fix this.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Black
Date: March 17, 2014 11:39AM
C(-)ris
If only you would have left the users folder where it belonged and made alias to your data on the other drive inside those folders. Then you could have deleted the alias and copied the original folder back in.

Hopefully one of the forum members who keep recommending relocating the users folder has an easy idea on how to fix this.

I can't help as I did my DIY fusion as Chris described. Not sure how you got it to work that way-- I was not able.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: IronMac
Date: March 17, 2014 01:59PM
Actually, a few years back several articles and OWC themselves recommended doing it the way Todd did.

I'd be very curious as to how to switch back too.
Date: March 17, 2014 05:45PM
I'm weighing a couple of options:

- being sure I'm backed up, then deleting the user account but choosing the option to save it (hopefully on boot drive; not sure I have a choice). Then follow instructions to revive a deleted account.

- using my MacBook Air with migration assistant to import the user folders from the external drive; then delete the user accounts on the new SSD and use migration assistant to bring them back from MacBook Air.

Any votes before I proceed?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 17, 2014 06:00PM
Here is what I would do, since no one else is chiming in.

Start up from a different user and delete the user selecting the keep in place option. Then use terminal to copy the folder from one drive back to the correct place in the other. Verify the short name is correct and then create a new account.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 17, 2014 06:52PM
Booting from the new SSD...

1. Create a new user account on the new SSD using the same shortname as you had on the old home folder.

2. Enable root on the boot vol.

3. Login as root, remove the contents of the new home folder on the new SSD and replace the contents with the stuff from the home folder on the old SSD.

4. Run chown on that home folder in the Terminal, substituting the shortname on your home folder where you see <shortname>...

chown -R <shortname>:staff /Users/<shortname>

5. Reboot, login with admin credentials and disable the root account. (Same place in the Directory Utility as you enabled it.)
Date: March 18, 2014 01:35PM
For those interested, I went with the export/import Users Folders from MacBook Air rout. Perhaps more time consuming, but it seemed less complicated than messing with the terminal.

It took overnight but I migrated to laptop, then migrated back to new SSD that boots that iMac.

Had to iron out a few things but it worked well.

As others have said, perhaps next time I'd explore the aliases ... moving hefty Users Folders can cause some grief if you ever decide to go back the other direction.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Todd
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020