advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
winter and summer tires
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 17, 2014 10:25AM
Every winter and summer I have the toyota dealership switch my tires. Last year I bought wheels for the extra set so they don't have to be mounted every season change. My question is, can I do the switch myself or does the dealership have some magic they do? I guess I have several questions.
1) Should I buy a jack to use at home for this purpose? Toyota Solara convertible, basically a camry.
2) I accidentally bought a set of impact sockets not too long ago. Should I buy an impact driver for the change? If so which one? I have a DEWALT D55140 1-Gallon 135 PSI Max Trim Compressor. [www.amazon.com]
3) Do I need to mark the tires in some way to do the rotation correctly?

Thanks for any info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 10:27AM by davemchine.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: winter and summer tires
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 17, 2014 10:39AM
Having a garage change out your wheels is usually a good idea, because then they get checked for balance and rotated properly. You *can* do them yourselves...

At a minumum you would need:
A halfway decent jack.
A pair of jack stands.
A long socket wrench with a breaker bar (long piece of pipe) to help with the torque
Technically, you should have a large torque wrench to be sure you torque the lug nuts properly.

Your compressor will *not* run an impact wrench. They need much more airflow than yours can provide.

I've done it myself, I have all the tools. I just don't like doing it anymore. So I don't.

Ed: neglected to mention that I have a weight limit on my right arm, so I'm technically not supposed to do it anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 10:44AM by cbelt3.
Posted by: BillMac
Date: March 17, 2014 10:42AM
You CAN and SHOULD do it yourself! I do it every season on my own car, I have for years. I use a standard hydraulic jack, 4-way wrench, and a torque wrench.

I do not mark my tires. I have an AWD Subaru. The fronts wear slightly faster than the rears. Every changeover, I just put the better ones on the front to even them out.

-Bill
Posted by: billb
Date: March 17, 2014 10:42AM
1.) floor jack ( unless yo wife has popeye biceps and you trust her not to drop it on you )
2.) whatever it's your money ( although if tugging on a breaker bar/torque wrench is tough on your spine air might a worthy expense )
3.) just track the serial numbers in excel or your favorite ios app equivalent

oh and change the tires on April 2 at 5:45 PM

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 10:54AM by billb.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 17, 2014 10:49AM
I take mine to Discount Tire and have them do it. Since I've bought tires there, it's free, all they have to do is take off the current tire/rim combo and bolt on the upcoming season's tire/rim combo. I've done this for years.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 17, 2014 11:24AM
I have snow tires on their own rims, a floor jack and a torque wrench. I can get all four swapped out in an hour. I have everything written down so that I don't have to remember/relearn all the tricks to working efficiently.

Bought my first set mounted on the rims from TireRack, shipped to my door.

Bear in mind directional tires...I've had to re-swap when I rotated but forget to account for that.

And, I have been advised to not store the torque wrench set to tension, but to relax it between uses so that the spring calibration does not change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 11:28AM by Acer.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 17, 2014 11:28AM
4.) requisite pin-up calendar near tool box

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 17, 2014 11:45AM
You CAN and SHOULD do it yourself!

NO WAY. This is true for a healthy person, but davemchine (aka lazy days) had BACK SURGERY and it is really not worth it to injure his back to save $20 or so a cheap garage would charge to do this job.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 17, 2014 11:57AM
My back has been slowly improving. I am able to do most things as long as it isn't on the ground. I guess tires are on the ground aren't they? I'll have to rethink this. I just hate hauling them all the way to the tire store for 15 minutes of their time and then hauling the other set back.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 17, 2014 12:05PM
All my vehicles have plain steel rims for the snow tires. The summer tires might have alloy rims. I swap them myself each season as needed. It takes about an hour, maybe two. If you're intent on rotating the tires to keep the warranty squared away, then have someone else do it professionally.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 17, 2014 12:13PM
BillMac
You CAN and SHOULD do it yourself! I do it every season on my own car, I have for years. I use a standard hydraulic jack, 4-way wrench, and a torque wrench.

Health permitting, agreed. I've been doing this for years. I don't use jack stands because I do one corner at a time and the wheel is off the ground for a couple minutes at most. An impact wrench might save you a few minutes, but it's never been worth it to me. You still need a torque wrench.

I would suggest marking your tires and then rotating them the next season. My rear tires sometimes wear faster than my front, on one car, so it's good for me to just rotate them rather than going by what's worn.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: March 17, 2014 12:36PM
One important thing to remember is to lightly sand the hub mating flange and put anti-seize on the centering hole. Otherwise, you may end up with a flat one day and completely unable to remove the wheel because the galvanic reaction between the alloy wheel and steel hub center has essentially welded the two together (ask me how I know this).

...and yes, as MAVIC says, you need a torque wrench (unless you love warped brake rotors and that nice pulsating foot massage feel).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 12:36PM by davester.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 17, 2014 01:48PM
"One important thing to remember is to lightly sand the hub mating flange and put anti-seize on the centering hole. Otherwise, you may end up with a flat one day and completely unable to remove the wheel because the galvanic reaction between the alloy wheel and steel hub center has essentially welded the two together (ask me how I know this)."

VERY true. I have "welded" aluminum brake drums to the steel hubs a few times, until I figured out to sand and anti-seize. Before anyone says aluminum brake drums? Yes, Buick, and some other GM G body cars had aluminum brake drums with an iron sleeve that the shoes wore against. Saved 9 pounds a corner over full iron. Improved acceleration and brake cooling.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 17, 2014 04:57PM
I do the change for 3 vehicles... every year.

so, I am seriously considering something like this:

[red-viper.com]
Date: March 17, 2014 07:39PM
mrbigstuff

[red-viper.com]

How is a dolly going to help you to change tires?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 17, 2014 08:04PM
Some winter tires are directional and need to be installed on the correct side of the vehicle.

Does your car have tire pressure monitoring system? If so, you may need a special tool to program the rims to the car each time you switch them.

If you can load the tires into the car to take them to be installed, I would think that demounting and remounting them would be less of a physical demand. Just use a good breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts or get an electric impact wrench.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 17, 2014 08:07PM
davester
mrbigstuff

[red-viper.com]

Once you jack the vehicle up, you could snug the dolly up to the wheel, take the lugnuts off, slide the dolly with the wheel out and lower it. Reverse the process to position the tire in place to mount. This would minimize the need to lift the tire. You could also spin the tire on the rollers to line up the lugs with the holes in the rim.
Date: March 17, 2014 10:41PM
macphanatic
davester
mrbigstuff

[red-viper.com]

Once you jack the vehicle up, you could snug the dolly up to the wheel, take the lugnuts off, slide the dolly with the wheel out and lower it. Reverse the process to position the tire in place to mount. This would minimize the need to lift the tire. You could also spin the tire on the rollers to line up the lugs with the holes in the rim.

That still doesn't make any sense to me. You only save having to lift the wheel by an inch, maybe, and you can always spin the hub instead of the wheel. Add to that the complication of dealing with the dollies and storing them and I see a no win situation. Seriously, how difficult is it to change a tire?

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 18, 2014 10:05AM
davester
mrbigstuff

[red-viper.com]

Easy. You put those on, jack the car up, take a tire off, then the car slides off the jack and the rotor goes crashing into the floor.

Oh. Wait. That doesn't make things easier. Nevermind. ;)

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020