advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
the desolation of smaug
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 21, 2014 10:07PM
I have to admit I expected more even after hearing the poor reviews. Unfortunately the movie is completely buggered. Story is all wrong, characters are all wrong, ridiculous CGI, and worst of all the playful tone of the Hobbit is nowhere to be seen. I am trying to be positive and enjoy it but wow, what a miss.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: the desolation of smaug
Date: March 21, 2014 10:32PM
Hah, found this just a few minutes ago. Hobbit Bonsai

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 21, 2014 10:37PM
As usual with movies-from-books, I TRY to judge the movie on it's own merits...
As a fantasy action movie, it wasn't bad... But it certainly wasn't The Hobbit!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: March 21, 2014 11:45PM
I think the song at the end of the movie was the best part. I enjoyed THAT quite a bit. Maybe the third movie will be better.
Posted by: Phy
Date: March 22, 2014 12:33AM
Hey, I loved that film!
I am in awe of Peter Jackson's creativity— even if he did not follow the book very closely in some areas. Even though Tauriel wasn't in the book, she adds some zest to the film.

"Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry." -William Butler Yeats
Posted by: Black
Date: March 22, 2014 02:10AM
davemchine
I have to admit I expected more even after hearing the poor reviews. Unfortunately the movie is completely buggered. Story is all wrong, characters are all wrong, ridiculous CGI, and worst of all the playful tone of the Hobbit is nowhere to be seen. I am trying to be positive and enjoy it but wow, what a miss.

The CGI was what I liked least about it. They found everything I don't like about animation and found a way to insert it into a live action film.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: March 22, 2014 02:53AM
I think the river scene was the most difficult to watch. It was a wide divergence from the book and it was almost all CGI. It was like watching a cartoon with a crazy elf jumping around. Oh well, they can't all be winners!
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: March 22, 2014 09:19AM
A (paraphrased) comment that I like a lot, from another board: I enjoy these films not as the original story brought to the screen, but as lovingly crafted fan fiction.

Sounds perfect to me!
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 22, 2014 11:18AM
Was better than the first Hobbit movie... Just consider it separate from the books as noted.
Posted by: raz
Date: March 23, 2014 04:18PM
A-Polly
A (paraphrased) comment that I like a lot, from another board: I enjoy these films not as the original story brought to the screen, but as lovingly crafted fan fiction.

Sounds perfect to me!

Perhaps, but I usually don't have to shell out $10 and 3 hours of my life for fan fiction.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020