The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any snowboarders here?
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: April 04, 2014 08:13PM
Poll
Do you:
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
15 votes were received.
Snowboard 4

27%
Downhill Ski 7

47%
Both 3

20%
Neither, but I'd like to learn. 1

6%

My daughter and I went snowboarding for the first time a few weeks ago. We went to Blue Mountain in Pennsylvania. We had group lessons that we could go in and out of all day long, rental equipment, and access to the learning hill, a green (beginner) hill, and its lift.

We never made it off the learning hill, but really enjoyed ourselves. I've become obsessed with snowboarding! I read the snowboarding.com forum, watch YouTube videos, visit snowbard shops, etc.

I can't wait till next winter rot go again!

Any other snowboarders here?

I grew up in Illinois, and never went downhill snow skiing. I did a fair amount of water skiing, and cross country skiing, and I was a bit of a skateboarder. I really want to go downhill skiing, and will probably try that next winter.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any snowboarders here?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 04, 2014 08:31PM
I'm M A V I C.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: kj
Date: April 04, 2014 08:34PM
Both, and telemark too. The second time I snowboarded it was in Sun Valley. My bro talked me into it, but actually chickened out without telling me (he brought his skis), so that's what I showed up with . I got better really fast winking smiley Snowboarding is a blast, but a drag on the cat tracks. Skiing is harder, but has it's good points too (I can ski a lot faster). kj.
Posted by: rz
Date: April 04, 2014 08:51PM
I live in Florida so that I don't have to subject myself to snow anymore. So no.
Posted by: mikebw
I've been into Snowboarding for a few years now. First lesson in Stevens Pass, WA which was really hard, but fun. It does get easier. Hardest thing to get over is the tendency to lean back to keep from going too fast- it doesn't work, you just fall over more. Focus on learning how to turn, (connect turns) and the speed doesn't matter.
Posted by: Kraniac
Grrrrr.

Not usually but in the Olympics this year I stalked a couple of 'em.

Yes, warrants.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 04, 2014 09:25PM
Tried snowboarding for the first time about 15 years ago, on my own without lessons / training (after decades as a downhill skier). I'm lucky I didn't kill myself! Tried it again a few years later but, took a class. Instruction made all the difference in the world. I was able to board under control after basic instruction. Didn't manage any slope time this winter but, I got out downhill skiing last winter after severals years of not skiing. Skiing and snowboarding are great sports. I really enjoy the times I'm able to get out on the slopes!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 04, 2014 09:29PM
My name is Mark and I am addicted to skiing....every non-working day from Halloween to Memorial Day in most years. In most years I get in about 120 days. Currently I am on a streak of skiing 43 months in a row.

And yeah, I can snowboard too, but choose to ski. I do a lot of tele skiing in the summer. I guess addicted to snow is a better statement. smiling smiley

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 04, 2014 09:44PM
148 days straight of skiing only.*

*OK, in 1990. Not sure if snowboards enve existed yet. Lived/worked in S lake Tahoe. 0 days since then.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2014 09:45PM by jdc.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: April 04, 2014 10:03PM
A few things off the top of my head:
- "falling leaf" is a good way to start, until you can figure out how to link your turns without catching an edge
- always keep your weight on the upslope edge. If you're going fast and catch an edge, you'll be on the ground before you know what happened
- I like Flow bindings (negates the need to do the usual sit down and fasten your bindings after getting off the lift)
- I like the Boa laceless system for boots: time saver, and you can easily tighten/loosen them
- I like Thirty Two boots (very lightweight - you won't realize the importance of this until after you've used heavy boots)
- ALWAYS wear a helmet
- Get gloves with a removable lining - makes drying them out much easier
- consider wearing wrist guards; it's hard to break the instinct of trying to break a fall with your hands
- cotton socks are a no-no
Posted by: davester
Date: April 04, 2014 10:14PM
I'm a long time skier. I took lessons and tried snowboarding a few years ago because my kids wanted to do it. I've probably been snowboarding a total of 7 or 8 times but I never really liked it nearly as much as skiing. Having both feet tied to the board seemed so limiting. Skiing just seems so much more versatile and you can enjoy yourself doing different kinds of things in highly varied conditions both on and off piste, often in places where you never see snowboarders. I suppose I could be biased because I'm an advanced skier but only a beginner/intermediate snowboarder, but I think I'm done with snowboarding.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: DavidS
Date: April 04, 2014 10:49PM
I've only skied on two planks. I go our West for 3-5 days per year, so I'd rather not spend half of that time on my butt. However, friends who have taken up snowboarding say they'll never go back to regular skis.
Posted by: kj
Date: April 05, 2014 11:31AM
SDGuy
A few things off the top of my head:
- "falling leaf" is a good way to start, until you can figure out how to link your turns without catching an edge
- always keep your weight on the upslope edge. If you're going fast and catch an edge, you'll be on the ground before you know what happened
- I like Flow bindings (negates the need to do the usual sit down and fasten your bindings after getting off the lift)
- I like the Boa laceless system for boots: time saver, and you can easily tighten/loosen them
- I like Thirty Two boots (very lightweight - you won't realize the importance of this until after you've used heavy boots)
- ALWAYS wear a helmet
- Get gloves with a removable lining - makes drying them out much easier
- consider wearing wrist guards; it's hard to break the instinct of trying to break a fall with your hands
- cotton socks are a no-no

Good points. It took me a little while to realize it is helpful to be turning, even if it's just a little, all the time. It keeps the edge where it should be.

I second the helmet +100. Not only is it safer, but the comfort is way beyond any hat I've ever had for snowboarding, skiing, whatever. Plus, maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a special way to fall when snowboarding, that makes you into a whip with your head at the tip. kj.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 05, 2014 12:11PM
I have done both. If you are thinking of trying it out, make sure you have done a few dozen crunches every day for the two weeks before. My abs were killing me after the first day getting back up after falls.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 08, 2014 01:25PM
I've been snowboarding for well over 20 years. Had a chance to go pro, but I would have had to drop out of college and I didn't want to do that. I like snowboarding a lot more than skiing because of powder. Skiing has seen the rise of fat skis, but it's still not the same feeling and doesn't work as well.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020