Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
8 dead, 37 wounded in shootings across Chicago
Posted by: DP
Date: April 21, 2014 07:51AM
It's not just Detroit...

Easter weekend was no holiday from violence, with shootings claiming the lives of eight across Chicago and leaving 37 wounded.

On Sunday night, five children were injured in a drive-by shooting near Marquette and Michigan on the South Side. An 11-year-old girl was shot in the neck and taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition, police said. A 15-year-old girl, who had a gunshot wound in her right arm, also was taken to Stroger.

A 14-year-old girl was shot in the abdomen and taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in serious condition, police said. A 14-yera-old boy, who was wounded in his left leg, also was taken to Comer. A 14-year-old girl later walked into Saint Bernard Hospital and Health Care Center with a graze wound in her buttocks, police said.

On Sunday afternoon, a shooting left two men dead in South Lawndale. About 1 p.m. Sunday, an orange Hummer blocked a Lincoln Navigator head-on at the corner of 28th Street and Sawyer Avenue, Chicago Police at the scene said. Two people with guns then stepped out of the Hummer and fired nearly a dozen bullets at the Navigator, right under a police “blue light” camera.

[www.suntimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 8 dead, 37 wounded in shootings across Chicago
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 21, 2014 07:53AM
Just another day in the USA.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: April 21, 2014 07:57AM
Where are John Carpenter and Kurt Russell when you need them?
Posted by: haikuman
Date: April 21, 2014 08:06AM
"Just another day in the USA." Sad to say sad smiley

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 21, 2014 08:19AM
They take their holidays seriously.

(WMC-TV) – A fight over a golden egg during an Easter egg hunt landed one Memphis mother in jail after she allegedly attacked another parent with a hammer.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 21, 2014 08:19AM
Reading down a little further:

On Saturday morning, two teens who were found dead in an apartment building Saturday morning were killed over a dispute that played out on Facebook, according to the mother of the one of the victims.

Jordan Means, 16, and Anthony Bankhead, 18, were found dead just after 10:30 a.m. Saturday in an apartment in the 8200 block of South Houston Avenue on the South Side, according to police and the medical examiner’s office. An autopsy revealed they were both shot in the head.

“An argument led to this, that’s crazy,” said Camille Cochran, 42, Jordan Means’ mother. “Now, I don’t have my son no more.”
Posted by: rz
Date: April 21, 2014 10:15AM
it's the baddest part of town.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: April 21, 2014 11:33AM
rz
it's the baddest part of town.

Boy, it wasn't always like that. I grew up on the South Side. The heaviest artillery were usually sparklers on the 4th of July with an illegal firecracker now and again.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: April 21, 2014 11:47AM
You won't see Atlanta "totals" of dead and injured, because they beak it down by area, county, etc. Crime here is horrible. But that is kept quiet by the local governments. It is played down

Teens broke out in gunfire yesterday at a party at Stone Mountain (Atlanta suburb) It took dozens of police to calm the party down, 2 girls shot in head, condition unknown.

2 carjackings last week that I can remember hearing about.

A security guard shot someone, then shot himself.

3 Killed at cobb county apartment complex.

A convenience store worker is shot weekly.

2 men fighting over a car, drove thru the front door of a Kroger grocery store, injuring at least 3.

Several children reporting that a man tried to get them in a car in the last few weeks.

Assault at local malls is an almost daily occurrence.

Burglaries are so often it is disturbing, even in "good" areas.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 21, 2014 01:54PM
There is nothing else I can add to this thread that wouldn't get it immediately moved to the other side.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 21, 2014 05:10PM
Chicago covers an enourmous amount of land. 234miles2 according to Wikipedia for the city proper. The Chicago Metropolitan area covers 10,000+miles2 and has a population of 9million+ people. That's 9 times the land area and 9 times the population of Rhode Island. We can all agree that 8 dead and 37 wounded is too much but statistically, it isn't quite as bad as it sounds. Chicago's murder rate is nearly 4 Xs that of NYC. (NYC=4 homicides/100k citizens, Chicago is 15.2/100k citizens)

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: haikuman
Date: April 21, 2014 10:35PM
"We can all agree that 8 dead and 37 wounded is too much but statistically, it isn't quite as bad as it sounds."

Ztirfry that is so wonky my friend. I suggest you seem me in the morning for some shock therapy and a fishing trip with nurse Ratchet devil smiley secret smiley

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 10:36PM by haikuman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018