advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
any worthwhile Eur-rail type passes nowadays?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 23, 2014 04:27PM
looking at two or three country travel, and a maximum of four rail trips with a group of 4. I'm mainly interested in the convenience but wondering if only a few trips would warrant any passes.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: any worthwhile Eur-rail type passes nowadays?
Posted by: particleman
Date: April 23, 2014 06:01PM
Perhaps a Eurail Saver Pass.

One example: Four Country (Germany, France, Benelux) Select Saver Pass with 5 days of travel is about $2000 for 4 people traveling together in 1st class.

1st Class Regional passes for two adjacent countries about $1600 for 4 days of travel for 4 people. 2nd class is about $1300. There are some specials through April 30th that add an extra travel day on certain Regional passes.
Posted by: Billiken
Date: April 24, 2014 12:38AM
I am the owner of a travel agency in Europe specializing in rail travel.

A Eurail-type pass is almost NEVER a good value these days. If you have a set itinerary, prebook single-journey tickets and you'll be far ahead.

Such passes are an especially bad value for travel in France, where supplements are required and must be paid for. Further, the number of places for Eurail pass holders is limited, and if the places for your desired train are gone, you must by a standard ticket, even if you have the pass!

Send me a PM if you have questions!
Posted by: billb
Date: April 24, 2014 12:16PM
When I was planning a Europe vacation with a London to Venice adjunct via rail two years ago pre-purchased multi-passes didn't add up. Plus the changing routes and times complicated trying to plan too far in advance.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018