advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone bought thumb drives in bulk with logo on for promotion?
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: April 28, 2014 05:09PM
Convinced my friend to get away from burning his stuff to dc/dvd for clients. He's on board with the thumb drives and is (indirectly) looking for suggested place to buy. Thanks for inout in advance.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone bought thumb drives in bulk with logo on for promotion?
Posted by: dmann
Date: April 28, 2014 05:13PM
Where are you located? Do you have a promotional products person you work with already? I'll let you know the factories you can trust (and in the interest of full disclosure, I rep a promotional flash drive company with a great reputation, but we can't sell to you directly.)

Most of what you see online will be through a promotional product company but I'll be happy to refer you to someone in your area if you need.

DM
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: April 28, 2014 05:22PM
Unlike USB flash drives, CDs/DVDs have the virtue that once they leave your control, they can't be contaminated by viruses prior to their being used.

Just food for thought since people love to find someone to blame and the promotional USB drives have that inviting logo on them.
Date: April 28, 2014 05:37PM
Not sure what kind of info will be on the drives, but many of them can be passcode enabled. Extra charge, of course, but it is available in the promo world.

DM
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 28, 2014 05:51PM
I usually take those flash drives, reformat them and use them for personal stuff.

How about pre-printed CD/DVDs? Depending on volume, you can have them done or even buy a $100 inkjet and print them yourself...

[www.meritline.com]

[www.discmakers.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: April 28, 2014 06:30PM
Thanks for the input. He has a product manufactured that he includes a couple of assembly/instructional videos with. He's just gonna dump them onto the drives maybe with a document or two. The bonus was that after they use the info, then they will likely reformat the drives or use them for persona stuff and maybe gain some additional advertising if people use them around others or share them (as opposed to a one off burned cd/dvd).

He's in Flagstaff, AZ if that makes a difference. He has searched online and found some suppliers but thought I'd ask here. I have no idea what kind of quantity he's looking at, but it won't be huge. It's a niche item in his industry. Like maybe (purely a guess) 50 or so to start? No idea.

Thanks again
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 28, 2014 06:36PM
If hes already googled it then he should have costs figured out -- but with such a small qty you are probably talking $6 eachish for even a small 256 MB drive. $300 easy.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: April 28, 2014 07:41PM
Most companies have a 100 piece minimum. If he is only looking for 25-50, it might actually be cheaper to buy them retail and have a local pad printer put his company name on them.

For a 100 qty buy of 2GB drives from the line I rep, the cost per drive is running between $7.50 and $9.00 depending on the drive style. There is a $56.25 set up charge for imprinting.

If you look at places like Branders or 4Imprint, they are the promotional product companies I referred to. They all buy from the same suppliers (like the company I rep) and resell to customers like you. It's the way the promotional industry is structured. If you look at a company like Leeds (leedsworld.com) they are supplier company, not one I rep, and they supply companies like Branders and 4Imprint. The prices on the Leeds website are the suggested retail and they will not sell to you direct.

It's a somewhat antiquated way of doing business, but keep in mind that these companies stand behind the products they sell and represent. If the drives fail, they'll honor the warranties. Too many companies out there won't and I know this because my customers come back to me to save the day when their customers think they have saved a buck or two by going direct. Companies that are part of the promotional products industry will often have an ASI, PPAI, UPIC or SAGE identifying number or logo on the website.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
DM
Date: April 28, 2014 07:51PM
Thankee :-)
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: April 28, 2014 10:58PM
I've used FlashBay before, and they were great quality and the price was comparable, but cheaper, than other places I checked into. If you are ordering drives with a logo (which most would), they have a minimum order quantity of only 25 units. When I last used them (in 2012), there were no origination/setup charges and screen printing included up to 4 spot colors. They charged me a $19 delivery fee, but that was fine as I received the drives in just a few days.

[www.flashbay.com]

I still have my pricing list (PM me, if needed), and the prices obviously varied with quantity ordered, but the minimum 25 quantity prices basically ranged from $7-$8.50 for a 1GB drive (depending on model - there was a wood model that was around $10, but I won't include that in the range). They had sizes up to 32GB. Remember though, this was two years ago, so I would imagine the prices are cheaper, or are probably the same, but the storage size is larger starting out (2GB minimum, instead of the 1GB I had in 2012).

For comparison (from dmann's pricing), the 100 unit minimum for a 2GB drive, back in 2012 from Flashbay was between $5.68 to $6.50 (most of the drive models were $5.68 per unit).

You can request a demo/sample kit and they'll send you within the next day or two, basically, a pop-out briefcase sort of thing that has all of their flash drive offerings in it (free to keep), although just blanks (no actual storage inside). Great for showing and seeing which one you'd want to get or if others are interested. Many other companies offer the same style of drives, so when anybody asks me for a recommendation, I just pull these out and ask people what they'd prefer.

The rep I worked with was Marcus Quincy (probably just randomly assigned when I requested a quote) and he was very helpful and no pressure, but would follow-up from time to time. I am pretty sure he is still there, as I have received email from him recently asking if I might need drives for anything. I've received just a couple emails like that a year from him, and I don't mind it - reminds me of them and their service that I will use again, eventually.

I have no affiliation with this company, nor know anybody that works for them. I was just a regular customer, but would recommend.

Here is a site that has an average 9.9/10 satisfaction rate with them (2700+ reviews!): [www.trustpilot.com]

(the first review, right now, even notes they "overnighted a nice sample pack of the drives they sold." - so they still do that)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 11:11PM by onthedownlow.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: April 28, 2014 11:56PM
As I remember, Punkindrublik was in the "business." You might get in touch with him by PM if he still watches the forum.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: April 29, 2014 01:05AM
Thank you all very much. I'll pass on the info as well as inquire about what quantity he may be looking for (or tell him what he needs to go with ;) )
Date: April 29, 2014 08:37AM
GeneL
As I remember, Punkindrublik was in the "business." You might get in touch with him by PM if he still watches the forum.

Yes, he is GeneL! Good memory. His company does produce flash drives but like the companies I rep, he can't sell directly to the public. He's on the supplier side, not the distributor side.

DM
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 29, 2014 11:28AM
FWIW, I got a couple of these at a very high-end conference I went to, and they were generic crap that died within 2 years. Left me with a bad taste in my mouth.....
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 29, 2014 12:32PM
These days you probably have to go w/ at least 4GB, preferably 8GB, to get the mileage out of the "continued advertising..." IOW, people are gonna be way more inclined to *actually* repurpose a 4GB or larger flash drive, than a 2GB or smaller unit in this day and age. You're more apt to realize a return on the advertising dollars from more of the slightly larger flash drives being reused, than from being thrown out, or tossed in a drawer because they're too small.
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: April 29, 2014 12:58PM
anonymouse1
FWIW, I got a couple of these at a very high-end conference I went to, and they were generic crap that died within 2 years. Left me with a bad taste in my mouth.....

Yes, this is an issue. Like anything else, there are different levels of quality. You used to be able to ask about "Tier 1" chips, but that classification holds less meaning since so many companies lie about what they use. If nothing else, find out about warrantees, return policies and operational guarantees before purchasing.

DM
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: April 29, 2014 09:53PM
anonymouse1

Agreed - all depends on the supplier.

The FlashBay drives are retail quality and are actually just rebadged Lexar, Sandisk, etc. drives. If you check out their site, you'll see the different models, although they probably have at least one 'crap' drive in the options, that is a generic/cheaply made one. The prices are pretty similar across the models, so just don't choose one of those. lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 201
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020