The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[RYF] BlueAir air purifiers on sale at Costco.com
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 03, 2014 06:42PM
[RYF] BlueAir air purifiers on sale at Costco.com

Hi everyone,

My wife and I both have allergies and run air purifiers in our apartment 24/7. We had to go with multiple units due to the size of our apartment and how rooms are located within it and very high ceilings. One air purifier alone needs to cover about 500 or so sq feet, across an L shape. The other units are in our master bedroom and spare bedroom, respectively. We have a RabbitAir Minus A2 model in our bedroom. Very quiet, even on the higher speed settings. It does a great job. But, it’s pricy and definitely doesn’t have the horsepower to handle the living room/kitchen/main hallway.

Our living room and kitchen are adjacent to each other, in the shape of an L with a huge doorway between them and a hallway that runs parallel to the kitchen. We’re talking nearly 500+ square feet and that’s not accounting for the foyer. We’d been using a _very_ noisy Honeywell model to cover both rooms and the hallway for the last 1.5 years. Unfortunately, it was too small for the area and had to run on its highest setting to even come close to beginning to do the job well. The noise was getting _very_ annoying. So, we decided to replace it. After some research, I decided I wanted a model from BlueAir and was just about ready to buy one of the 500 series models. But, before I bought it, I contacted BlueAir for some information. The rep was fantastic and steered me in the direction of the 555EB from Costco.com.

The BlueAir 555EB from Costco.com is $699.99 and includes an extra set of filters. Definitely a very good price for a solid model from one of the better manufacturers even at normal price. We paid full price for ours about two weeks ago. Currently, Costco.com has Blueair air purifiers on sale. The 555EB and extra set of filters is now $499.99. The other BlueAir models are on sale as well. I contacted Costco.com and they refunded me the $200.00 difference. Actually, they refunded the extra tax, too. Way cool of them!

My wife and I really like the BlueAir 555EB, which we’ve nicknamed Big Blue because it’s about the size of an end table. We placed it near the inner corner of the L, where the living room and kitchen and hallway meet. Big Blue amazingly quiet on the lowest setting. It’s barely audible even when it’s just a few feet away. Even the middle setting is pretty quiet. Definitely loud on the highest setting. Not as surprise since it’s moving and filtering a tremendous amount of it. That and the automatic mode works nicely. The particle and odor sensors are sensitive enough that brewing a cup of coffee, cooking dinner or farting anywhere within the general vicinity of the machine will make it bump up to a higher speed setting temporarily. You don’t have to be standing next to it. You can literally be on the other side of the room. Trust me on this. I leave Big Blue on medium or high during the day when nobody is home and throw it on automatic the rest of the time. Although we’ve only had the BlueAir 555ES for two weeks or so, I can say that my wife and I like it quite a bit. Definitely very happy we bought the model.

The 555EB has a five year warranty but it’s critical to replace the filters every six months to maintain it. Otherwise, the warranty becomes invalid. Annoying. Also, it has two different sets of filters. The set in the air purifier itself and the spare set are the standard true hepa particle filters. No activated carbon. BlueAir also offers SmokeStop filters for this model (and other 500/600 series units). They cost twice as much money but include carbon for odors and such. We’re sticking with the standard particle filters since neither my wife and I smoke and odors aren’t an issue in our apartment. The unit uses a set of three filters. Costco.com has a very good price on both types of replacement filters.

I should also mention its an energystar product and uses very little electricity. It’s designed to run 24/7 and I think the amount of juice it uses when running on its highest speed is similar to that of a 75 watt light bulb. Not too shabby! It uses _much_ less juice on the lowest setting - we’re talking LED bulb levels of energy usage if I remember correctly. I’m goign to check with PSE&G of Long Island to see if there are any rebates available for the air purifier since they are energystar appliances. Our other air purifiers are energystar appliances as well. It’s too late to get one for the RabbitAir Minus A2 but not for the Winix, which is the other recent aquisition.

Here is a link to the sale at Costco.com for the BlueAir models:

[www.costco.com]

And a link to all of the BlueAir products sold by costco.com:

[www.costco.com]

The 555EB is sold by costco.com but ships directly from BlueAir in Illinois. I contacted BlueAir prior to purchasing the 555EB and was very pleased by their customer service.

I believe the sale is good until May 31, 2014 but can’t say so with certainty.

The other new air purifier is a Winix Plasmawave 5000

We needed a quiet model for our little bedroom but since we’d just bought Big Blue, we couldn’t afford to spend another $350+ for an appropriate unit. Unfortunately, less expensive air purifiers that work well are very noisy. But, I bumped across a deal on a refurbished Winix Plasmawave 5000 for $114.00 shipped. It’s a solid model that gets generally good reviews on Air-Purifier-Power.com and Winix is a reputable manufacturer. The 5000 has since been replaced by a newer model but the replacement lacks some of the benefits of this one. Here is a link to the refurb 5000 from Premium Juicers sold via Amazon.com:

[www.amazon.com]

Premium Juicers packs it in a box in a box and the unit looked brand-new when I opened it. Again, a very quiet unit, energystar rated air purifier and appears to work nicely. But, it is definitely only suitable for smaller rooms, i.e. 200 sq feet. We liked it enough to buy another one to give as a gift to my mom, who has severe allergies just like me. Keep in mind, the 5000 is an older model and has since been replaced by the 5300 and 5500 series. Although the replacements are only a bit more expensive, they don’t ship with the same features. Also, the 5000 has some features lacking in the 5000S and 5000B models.

At some point, I'll post full reviews of all three air purifiers. I can say with certainty my wife and I are _very_ happy with the RabbitAir MinusA2. We also very happy with the BlueAir 555EB and Winix 5000. But, we've only had the BlueAir for a couple of weeks and the Winix unit for about a week. Based on what I've read, though, both should be hardy models that ought to serve us well for a very long time. Even the refurb Winix.

Robert

P.S. Very important! Take the CADR and room size ratings from the manufacturers with a grain of salt. They are always generous. For example, the BlueAir is rated for 600 or so sq feet but in reality I'd say it's more appropriate for a smaller space, i.e. 475 to 500 sq feet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 07:11PM by Robert M.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [RYF] BlueAir air purifiers on sale at Costco.com
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: May 03, 2014 07:47PM
For this post, RYF = 'Read You Fools'

; )

These are a great deal though. I have a different brands, but I have eyed these in the store for a long time now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 07:48PM by onthedownlow.
Date: May 03, 2014 08:23PM
Hi everyone,

A followup... $50.00 rebate on energystar rated air purifiers for PSE&G customers on Long Island. The list on the web site has many outdated models and current models. The BlueAir 555EB is a new model and not on the list. I'm going to try and get a rebate for it anyway. The Winix model is an older model. It's replacements - the 5300 and 5500 - are on the list. I'm going to try for the rebate anyway. smiling smiley

So, the Costco.com deal may be even better than I thought!

Robert
Posted by: decocritter
Date: May 04, 2014 09:11PM
I have one of those blue airs I bought at an estate sale and it has an extra set of filters, I think I will bring it up to my bedroom. It has smokers filters.

I am just getting over pneumonia and the pollen has been wicked in Atlanta.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 05, 2014 09:31AM
I have some Blueairs and they work nicely, quietly. My only gripe is the 403 units and all BA units lack a prefilter. Even a cruddy filter can catch coarse dust. I bought a carbon prefilter from amazon, cut it up and put it on all the intake vents. Works great, I vacuum the prefilters once a month. Not only does this make the filter last longer, it is catch the micro stuff not the macro coarse dust. A $5 prefilter makes the pricey HEPA filter last much longer. New BA units ship with a countdown timer and I ignore it now that I have prefilters.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: May 05, 2014 12:01PM
pRICE,

You can get HEPA filters with the carbon filter in them for the BlueAir units. They're called Smokestop filters and are expensive but definitely available. Bear in mind, you are voiding the warranty by not replacing the filters per their schedule. If there is an issue within the first five years, you need to have documentation for the replacement filters.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 12:02PM by Robert M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018