advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Was there supposed to be an Apple iPhone announcement today? Or yesterday??
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 09, 2014 08:19AM
Was there supposed to be an Apple iPhone announcement today? Or yesterday?? The wife wants a new iPhone for Mother's Day and I want to cover all my bases before heading out.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Was there supposed to be an Apple iPhone announcement today? Or yesterday??
Posted by: MEG
Date: May 09, 2014 08:43AM
No - it'll come the Tuesday after your buy one ;)

(just kidding - you're safe until the fall)
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 09, 2014 08:44AM
No, apple just spent $3.2Billion of my money on some crappy headphones.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: May 09, 2014 09:29AM
I guess the mystery Apple announcement sensationalized a few days ago in the media was the Beats purchase. Hey, popular expensive headphones company to boost the profits for the company. You should be happy!
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 09, 2014 10:03AM
iPhones seem to be on a fall release schedule.

Target has them on sale w/contract. $30 for the C and $120 for the S w/$20 gift card.

IMHO don't bother with the C. Get the S.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 09, 2014 10:04AM
3d
Hey, popular expensive headphones company to boost the profits for the company. You should be happy!

I can't really be happy about Apple's newest business partner. I think that it may be a short term benefit, but I don't see them ever recouping the investment. I would like to see them make a version of iTunes for Android though.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2014 10:08AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 09, 2014 10:18AM
I wonder about the outcome of a non-Apple branded product being integrated into the "Mac" "i-whathaveyou" product lineup.

Will it remain "Beats" or will it get renamed somehow - "Beats by Apple" "iBeats" "iSounds" etc.?

Has Apple ever purchased an outside retail hardware product manufacturer and kept the products original name/brand?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 09, 2014 10:19AM
read this a few days ago:

Apple plans ‘enormous’ iPhone upgrade event this week to boost sales

Apple is planning to hold an “enormous” iPhone-related event in its stores this week in order to boost sales, according to a source with knowledge of the initiative. Beginning May 8th, the source said, Apple will be contacting upgrade-eligible iPhone users with older iPhone models via email to come into their local Apple Store to update to a new iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c…

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 09, 2014 11:03AM
jdc
iPhones seem to be on a fall release schedule.

Target has them on sale w/contract. $30 for the C and $120 for the S w/$20 gift card.

IMHO don't bother with the C. Get the S.

Verizon has the 5S for $99.99 with 2-year contract. Is there a reason to get it at Target if it works out to the same price. Do I avoid the $30 activation fee by buying it at Target (or Walmart/BestBuy/...) ?
Date: May 09, 2014 11:20AM
graylocks
read this a few days ago:

Apple plans ‘enormous’ iPhone upgrade event this week to boost sales

Apple is planning to hold an “enormous” iPhone-related event in its stores this week in order to boost sales, according to a source with knowledge of the initiative. Beginning May 8th, the source said, Apple will be contacting upgrade-eligible iPhone users with older iPhone models via email to come into their local Apple Store to update to a new iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c…

Hmmm,,, no eMail yet here. 12noon EST.
"Apple plans ‘enormous’ iPhone upgrade event this week to boost sales dump excess inventory before iPhone6"
Posted by: decay
Date: May 09, 2014 11:42AM
The rumor mill and the sites that regurgitate these dodgy reports are to blame.

---
Date: May 09, 2014 11:42AM
3d
"Apple plans ‘enormous’ iPhone upgrade event this week to boost sales dump excess inventory before iPhone6"

i didn't get an email either but i wouldn't characterize this move as 'dumping.' A dump is when a company tries to wipe out inventory on a product that failed miserably. Apple isn't hurting judging from its last quarterly report:
Apple’s big moneymaker is always the iPhone and Wall Street expected Apple to sell 37.7 million handsets during the second quarter, though estimates varied by a wide margin. Actual iPhone sales came in at 43.7 million units.

I'm sure stockholders are pleased by the company's effort to continue forward momentum on current inventory in the advance of upcoming releases.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 09, 2014 12:16PM
graylocks
3d

i didn't get an email either but i wouldn't characterize this move as 'dumping.' A dump is when a company tries to wipe out inventory on a product that failed miserably. Apple isn't hurting judging from its last quarterly report:
Apple’s big moneymaker is always the iPhone and Wall Street expected Apple to sell 37.7 million handsets during the second quarter, though estimates varied by a wide margin. Actual iPhone sales came in at 43.7 million units.

I'm sure stockholders are pleased by the company's effort to continue forward momentum on current inventory in the advance of upcoming releases.

Well,,, the previous gen iPhone (4S) is currently free with 2 year agreement. The 5S is $99. So when the iPhone 6 comes out it's safe to say that the 5S will be free. It's better to "dump" the 5S now and make a bit of money rather than making no money (free) on the 5S in a few months.
Date: May 09, 2014 12:25PM
I think it's the 5 that will be free when the 6 comes out. won't matter much to me as I doubt I'll ever go under contract again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2014 12:26PM by graylocks.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 09, 2014 12:44PM
3d
Well,,, the previous gen iPhone (4S) is currently free with 2 year agreement. The 5S is $99. So when the iPhone 6 comes out it's safe to say that the 5S will be free. It's better to "dump" the 5S now and make a bit of money rather than making no money (free) on the 5S in a few months.

I doubt your wife will know the difference between any of them?

As for the activation fee -- you pay for activation? Ugh. Just call and say 'since Im a long time customer, can you wave my activation fee please..."

I havent paid one, ever. Helps if theres a woman operator and you are chatty and can get her giggling. Easy peasy.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: decay
Date: May 09, 2014 04:01PM
Here is your EVENT.

[9to5mac.com]

“It’s a beautiful time for an upgrade. You may be eligible for upgrade pricing on a new iPhone. And if you bring in your old iPhone to be recycled, you could get credit toward a new one. Ask us for details.”

---
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 09, 2014 06:31PM
no phones are free. Carries pay Apple big bucks, and you pay them with interest over the next 24 months.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: May 09, 2014 06:45PM
3d

That's not how it works. Apple already sold the phone to the carriers at x dollars. Pretty sure Apple sells to retailers and vendors and generally refuses to take back excessive inventory. I thinknyoubmeant carriers/vendors trying to dump inventory, not Apple.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 09, 2014 08:07PM
For people here, I hope there will be an iMac announcement first. From all the noise Boy Genius Report is making, I would guess the iPhone 6 is likely to drop before Memorial Day.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 10, 2014 06:47AM
decay
Here is your EVENT.

[9to5mac.com]

“It’s a beautiful time for an upgrade. You may be eligible for upgrade pricing on a new iPhone. And if you bring in your old iPhone to be recycled, you could get credit toward a new one. Ask us for details.”

Woah. SWEET!

"Apple is getting employees to check customers’ eligibility for an upgrade, inform them about the iPhone Reuse and Recycling program and push recently increased trade-in values for iPhone 4s and iPhone 4. Apple is now offering up to $99 for an iPhone 4 and $199 for an iPhone 4s. With that value put toward the purchase of a new iPhone 5s, Apple is promoting the deal as being able to upgrade to an iPhone 5s for as little as $0."

I guess I'll be getting a new iPhone 5s!!! Ohwait... about that Mother's day thing for the wife... :/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020