advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pre diabetes Diagnosis, fine but trying to sort out info
Posted by: decocritter
Date: May 26, 2014 05:22PM
About a month ago, I went to doctor with what I thought was bronchitis, but turned out it was pneumonia, Doc asked me if anything else bothered me. I said I had been sick a lot in the last year, and just felt like I needed thyroid and diabetes check. I was having some vision changes several times in a day, feet hurt, tired all the time, even after 8 hours of sleep.

Test said I was 6.1 - pre diabetes. Doc said I could get on some meds, if needed, but to start with losing some weight, start exercising and balance diet. I was trying to get over pneumonia with antibiotics and predinsone for 3 days. Wasn't too worried about anything else, but planned to get exercising asap. During this time I had little appetite and had to make myself eat.

Monday, I had a bad dizzy spell at work, and I was kind of out of it all day. I almost passed out. My linear thinking was off. Ate some oatmeal , drank a little juice, and a few hours later ate half a sandwich. I have had headaches upon waking, dizzy spells all week, but eating seems to calm things down. Vision changes are still going on. I am nearsighted but sometime see better without the glasses. Spent several days barely being able to function and very irritable.

Went to doctor on Thursday because I was having racing pulse, dizzy, feeling of doom and sadness for no reason and not being able to go on with my routine. I saw a different doctor and she said my numbers were not high 6.1 and it was just part of aging. I insisted she tell the other doctor, and that I wanted to find out what was wrong , then. I asked her if I should monitor sugar, she said no. The original Doc ordered 2 blood test, Insulin and C peptide - no results yet.

I am not a breakfast eater but I have to eat something immediately upon waking even before coffee or I get very dizzy. Having been trying to eat better, some fruit, no white bread, cookies, baked goods, more protein, less simple carbs. It seems I have to eat 4 or five time a day, small snacks and meals. I am not that hungry. The diet is a little confusing, as far as controlling the ups and downs.

I did manage to take 2 walks with a neighbor, but am afraid to go by myself

Other than that I am fine.

Any good apps or websites that simplify diet, or advice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 05:22PM by decocritter.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pre diabetes Diagnosis, fine but trying to sort out info
Posted by: Stavs
Date: May 26, 2014 05:34PM
I wish I had 6.1 AIC. I have ranged from 6.5 to 13.8 or so depending on how well I take care of myself. Right now to maintain a 6.5, and reduce my insulin intake, I had to change my diet. I do two meals a day of protein shakes (2 carbs) and fruit. The third meal is usually whatever I want within reason. You will find all different answers about what is considered good blood sugar. I gauge it based on my numbers when I wake up. I hover between 85 to 105. I'm happy with that considering that I used to be in the 200s to 300s. If you have any specific questions, I am happy to answer them here or in a PM.

As for the side effects you are experiencing now, I would chalk it up to the prednisone. Its bad stuff and it raises your blood sugar. When I was on it I had to double up on insulin. It also gave me those side effects you mentioned. I would be cautious, but I dont think you are in real danger.
Posted by: Stavs
Date: May 26, 2014 05:35PM
Oh, and regarding diet, cut out the carbs like you have been doing. You will feel better, and it doesn't take long. The majority of carbs I take in now are fruit, which doesn't spike my blood sugar.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 26, 2014 05:39PM
Well - YMMV, but for myself, my doctor pretty much gave me two pieces of advice:
- eat a low glycemic diet
- get regular cardio exercise (I put in 20 minutes minimum daily on a stationary bike).

Once you get used to it, it's not that bad - in general, avoid corn, eat only whole grains (NEVER "enriched", aka as in white bread), and sugar; vegetables should be green.

The hardest part (at least for living in the US) is avoiding corn - it appears in the most unlikeliest of places (pretty much every single breakfast cereal for starters, and nearly everything in the snack food aisle). For munchies, I've gotten used to wheat thins, peanuts/cashews, and Trader Joe's "Inner Peas"

nutritiondata.self.com has a nice website where you can input the brandname of a food and find out what its glycemic load is - I do this sometimes when I come across something I'm considering buying while at the grocery store.

On the positive side, one nice side effect of all this (cardio and low glycemic diet) - the excess body fat pretty much melts away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 05:40PM by SDGuy.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 26, 2014 06:16PM
"start with losing some weight, start exercising and balance diet."

Yup, especially losing the extra pounds.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: May 26, 2014 06:22PM
Your second doc is an idiot. I don't think I am being harsh but I can't see your symptoms being part of "aging". She should have taken into account ALL of your symptoms rather than just one indicator.

You can wait for the tests but if I were you I'd not only set up an exercise and diet regimen but get off my ass and execute it. NOW.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 26, 2014 07:40PM
Never accept "aging" as a reason for anything. My mother had a doctor blow her off with this excuse for years, and it turned out she has fibromyalgia. I see red when I hear that a doctor says this because it's lazy and dismissive.

Date: May 26, 2014 09:02PM
$tevie
Never accept "aging" as a reason for anything. My mother had a doctor blow her off with this excuse for years, and it turned out she has fibromyalgia. I see red when I hear that a doctor says this because it's lazy and dismissive.

Yep, I guess "seeing red" was sort of what I felt too. The OP's symptoms are frightening and certainly nothing that seems to be part of "aging".
Date: May 26, 2014 09:20PM
Thanks for the info.

Yes the substitute doc was blowing me off. She said "What can I do for you today" I was already confused and worrying about the frequent dizzy spells. Made me feel like I was pill shopping or something. I told her I have never been dizzy, except on the rare occasion I was totally drunk. I rarely even drink anymore, just don't think about it. Dizzy is not normal, a headache every day is not normal. Blood pressure of 130 over 90 is high for me, but 30 lbs overweight on small frame 5'4" is probably not helping,

She did tell me not to under estimate how hard pneumonia is to completely get over. I wondered if the 3 days of 60 mg prednisone had anything to do with it. First day of it I was full of energy, cleaned porches and house, but there was a crash, second two days not quite as extreme but no good feeling. I was also on Symbicort.

All of my symptoms including extreme thirst, cotton mouth while sleeping, came well after I started getting better. My feet have been hurting for a while, but lately they burn if I am on them too long. Started wearing mainly birks and dansko

I am not on any meds right now except half a zyrtec sometimes. Was a little worried about possible stroke or heart attack. Grandfather had several strokes by the time he was 46. Food and sitting still for a while seems to solve my spells.
Date: May 26, 2014 10:32PM
30 lbs over on a 5'4"? So, 170 lbs then?

I've seen that before. Not on me personally.

When it comes to pneumonia...it's bed rest for 3-4 days. I know because I had that and it was not fun.

Anyways, you have got start watching your diet and exercise.

My 84 yr old Dad just had his A1C, 6.7. He has fluctuated between 6.5 and 6.7 for the last two years. He is doing a lot better than I would have expected given that all he does is walk some and watch his diet.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 26, 2014 11:06PM
I went through this journey. A1C and fasting blood sugar are part of the diagnosis , but not all of it.

I bought a glucometer and tested myself five times a day, and wrote down all that I ate, and how I felt , and what exercise (walking ) I got for a week . I learned that I swap between hyper and hypo glycemic. Too low and I'm wobbly . Too high and I pass out. 6.1 is at the low end of " pre-diabetic". Usually not medication dependent . Diet and exercise will help you regain your balance.

Definitely agree on more levels .. Vision can mean hypertension , thyroid, etc. Prednisone messes up all your readings for some weeks after .. It's like burning a blowtorch on your system .

Stay cool, get good advice . I liked testing myself ( except for the finger sticks). Having real data makes it science !!
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: May 26, 2014 11:34PM
Check out this movie, lots of good info on managing sugar and its effects:

[fedupmovie.com]

Date: May 27, 2014 12:11AM
160 lb on a 5'4" frame. Female, small boned, wrists are child size. Ideal weight is 125. Doc said I should be 130 ish

I love potatoes and white rice. I have already switched to brown rice and no white bread, sugar. I went gluten free for a year so i know I can do this.

Everyday at work there is candy, cakes cookies. I have been leaving this alone since about 2 weeks ago. I don't do any diet foods or faux sugar. I gave up cokes (3 a week) and switched to water and ice tea. I have started to drink a few ounces of O.J. when I feel dizzy.

I love Mexican , so corn and flour tortillas will be tough
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 27, 2014 07:48AM
Deo-
You don't have to go carb free. It's all about moderation. I strongly urge you to measure and record your feelings, food intake, exercise, and blood sugar for at least a week, and look at the trends. You will learn a lot about your metabolism, and also give yourself some hard data to take to your first doctor.

There are a lot of things that drive your metabolism OTHER than your Pancreas. And a lot of those things can get wonky. Take data !
Posted by: fauch
Date: May 29, 2014 05:10AM
Consider taking Metformin, besides the potential stomach issues it causes (which usually go away) it can be a wonder drug for sugar control, costs $4 at Walmart and even has cancer preventing qualities... It is not dangerous like some of the other stuff they are pumping out today...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 190
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018