advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
mac pro 3,1 re-booting self: re-install 10.6.8 or go 2 mav?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: June 10, 2014 10:16AM
my mac pro 3,1 8-core is my final cut pro 7 edit machine.

the os is 10.6.8.

it has been a workhorse and is very stable.-no-none-issues.

sadly, until now.

i had a gig in april that caused the mac pro to spit up system memory issues in fcp7 even though a lesser mbp 17" with less ram was able to handle the gig.

the common web suggested thought was there was a still image used in the show that was too big (too many pixels across for fcp7 is verboten) for fcp7 to swallow and then something was corrupted and now the mac pro got flaky.

and by flaky i mean the mac pro now re-boots itself and re-boots itself and then doesn't and then does again.

so i'm thinking of re-installing 10.6.8 or maybe the better idea is to move up to mavericks.

for those with mac pros, has mavericks been kind?

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

be well.

rob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 10:26AM by robfilms.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: mac pro 3,1 re-booting self: re-install 10.6.8 or go 2 mav?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 10, 2014 10:52AM
Presumably you have several disks installed. If so, reinstall Snow Leopard, and try Mavericks on a different drive on an experimental basis. Mavericks has some issues with improper disk ejection (externals), Mail, multiple monitors, and more.

If you feel you need additional aggravation, though, just go for Mav alone.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 10, 2014 11:11AM
Try a new user account first?

Disk Warrior?
Posted by: rz
Date: June 10, 2014 01:15PM
rob,
I have the same machine. Several months ago, I had some RAM go bad on it. Don't remember the exact symptoms, but that's what it turned out to be. Might be worth checking.

Also, I just did the SL->Mav transition. It's been very positive for me. The biggest reason I switched was because I couild move to a non-flashed 2GB video card ($139), and install a $25 USB 3 card. Both are working fine in my machine.

I did have a potential issue with improper disk ejection on an external drive when I was "test driving" Mavericks on a spare hard drive, but haven't seen the issue since then. I saw the Mail issue when I switched over (search was broken) but I deleted the envelope files as suggested by our friend Chakravartin in an earlier post and that solved the issue. I have two monitors hooked up to my new video card and haven't seen any issues, so I don't know what problems people have been having with that.

ka jowct's suggestion of running it on an experimental drive is a good idea, and as I said I did that too. Main reason I did it was to test out running SL as a VM in Parallels. I use a few programs that broke when they went to Mavericks. I wanted to be absolutely positive they'd run as a VM in Parallels before updating. I'm happy to report that they run flawlessly. Once I verified that, I took the plunge and did a straight update from my exisiting drive. I bought a new SSD, cloned my SL instance to it, then updated. I kept the old SSD as backup, in case I need to boot directly into SL for some reason. Haven't had a reason to yet, and it's been about a month.

good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: June 10, 2014 02:26PM
Have you cleaned it lately?

Meaning, if you've got an air compressor, unplug the machine, take it outside, and blast the insides with compressed air. Take out the memory sticks or RAM trays, video cards, hard drives and sleds, and get all the dust out of the case.

Then put it all back together.

Jeff
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: June 10, 2014 06:29PM
You've got a hardware problem.

Reinstalling or upgrading the OS will only mask the problem for a brief time at best and will hose your boot vol at worst.

Try a safe-boot and if you can login then check the Console for panic logs.

Look for your original install discs. One should indicate that it has a Hardware Test volume on it. Pop that disc in the drive and reboot with the "D" key held down on your keyboard and run the extended tests.

The video cards on those things do not age well. My guess if it's not bad RAM is that your card is flaking out or overheating - maybe the fan on the card stopped spinning.
Date: June 11, 2014 05:55AM
Chakravartin-

Interesting idea.

I will work on it today.

How do I test for bad ram?

Thanks in advance.

Be well.

Rob
Date: June 11, 2014 07:31AM
To check the RAM, you can use Rember.

A thorough cleaning sounds like a good starting point, especially if you keep your MP on the floor. I acquired a used Mac Pro a few months ago that had 10GB of RAM installed. Only 5 were recognized. I pulled the RAM cards and discovered a pretty good coating of crud on some of them. After cleaning and re-installing the DIMMS, all the RAM was recognized.
Date: June 11, 2014 08:48AM
ka jowct
To check the RAM, you can use Rember.

A thorough cleaning sounds like a good starting point, especially if you keep your MP on the floor. I acquired a used Mac Pro a few months ago that had 10GB of RAM installed. Only 5 were recognized. I pulled the RAM cards and discovered a pretty good coating of crud on some of them. After cleaning and re-installing the DIMMS, all the RAM was recognized.

very helpful.

thank you.

the extended d boot hardware test is going on.

it looks like it will take at least an hour.

i will then re-start, download rember and spend the afternoon testing the ram.

i actually keep my mac pro off the floor so the dust bunnies won't take root and to vastly improve the reach of the wacky airport device which is installed in a poorly designed spot-low and behind a wall of aluminum.

ymmv

be well.

rob
Date: June 12, 2014 07:56AM
the extended d boot hardware test took quite a bit of time.

the results: everything passed!

i downloaded rember.

i ran it twice.

that took a really long time!

the result: everything passed!

now what?

ignore until the issue is raised again?

since this is my video edit machine, one suggestion was to move to the highest mountain lion and install a much better video card which due to ml doesn't necessarily have to be apple-blessed.

something like this:

[www.newegg.com]

the firepower and cuda support would be helpful for the adobe products plus the 3gb of vram should help fcp x.

it is always something...

...c'est la vie.

ymmv

be well.

rob
Date: June 12, 2014 10:38AM
Did you pull the graphics card and blow out any accumulated crud? Also, you didn't say much about your machine's specs. How much free HD space is available to apps that like to have plenty of cache space? How much RAM is installed?

A clean install of Snow Leopard wouldn't hurt: start fresh on a different HD and see what happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2014 10:45AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: loveshine
Date: June 12, 2014 05:11PM
I put Mavericks on one of my 1 TB internal drives in my 3,1 MacPro and then couldn't boot back into Snow Leopard. Apple generously offered free support for this Mavericks issue... yet it's been hell.
I wasn't expecting Mavericks on a completely separate drive to change (virtually corrupt) my snow leopard drives (internal main and back up drives).

After weeks of installing and reinstalling Snow Leopard and Mavericks under Apple tech support guidance, a friend suggested I pull the Snow Leopard drives out and use them as external boot drives. I now have this as a workaround but no one yet knows why this happened to my Snow Leopard Final Cut Pro 7 work station in the first place??

As far as Mavericks and Final Cut 7, I did a lot of research and then finally started using Mavericks instead of Snow Leopard. The good news is that the only issue I have is that I have to keep reentering my serial number but have not had time to trouble shoot that yet.
Re: video cards for Mavericks??
Posted by: loveshine
Date: June 12, 2014 05:29PM
How did you hear about this one?
The $200 price looks attractive as long as it will not have any issues now or down the line.

>[www.newegg.com]
the firepower and cuda support would be helpful for the adobe products plus the 3gb of vram should help fcp x.
Date: June 13, 2014 09:51AM
loveshine
I put Mavericks on one of my 1 TB internal drives in my 3,1 MacPro and then couldn't boot back into Snow Leopard. Apple generously offered free support for this Mavericks issue... yet it's been hell.
I wasn't expecting Mavericks on a completely separate drive to change (virtually corrupt) my snow leopard drives (internal main and back up drives).

After weeks of installing and reinstalling Snow Leopard and Mavericks under Apple tech support guidance, a friend suggested I pull the Snow Leopard drives out and use them as external boot drives. I now have this as a workaround but no one yet knows why this happened to my Snow Leopard Final Cut Pro 7 work station in the first place??

As far as Mavericks and Final Cut 7, I did a lot of research and then finally started using Mavericks instead of Snow Leopard. The good news is that the only issue I have is that I have to keep reentering my serial number but have not had time to trouble shoot that yet.

That is a really unfortunate situation: it just shouldn't happen, one would assume. I have played with Mavericks on a guinea-pug external drive, and haven't had trouble with my internal drives (three Snow Leopard, one Mountain Lion) in terms of being able to boot From them. One, however, reboots in a not quite right state until I boot it a second time. And I also ran into a problem that has been plaguing some Mavericks users, which was that an external FW drive suddenly would not spin down and in fact could not even be shut off using the on/off switch on the (OWC) enclosure. I had to shut down completely, and disconnect the drive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020