advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
These are the Drones we used as Kids
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 24, 2014 07:29PM
And they were MASSIVELY fun, until they got all crashed up.

Spent HOURS doing WAR. Sometimes recreating classic battles they taught us about in school. I hated to lose a good man.

The dirt in front of our apartment right next to the curb of Main Street didn't stand a CHANCE, while I leveled land for Malls, Airports and Train Stations. I had WORK to do. Stay outta my way.

And don't let me get my hands on a SUPERBALL. I Was a bouncing FOOL. Kept me in good shape because one bad bounce meant that I had to run about a half-mile down the street to retrieve it.

The smell of burnt caps was satisfying after I faux murdered my best friends. So much fun for so little money.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: These are the Drones we used as Kids
Posted by: BernDog
Date: June 24, 2014 07:40PM
This was my drone:

I picked out the same kite every year for like ten years. Eyes in the sky!
Posted by: davester
Date: June 24, 2014 07:45PM
vision63
And they were MASSIVELY fun, until they got all crashed up.

Spent HOURS doing WAR. Sometimes recreating classic battles they taught us about in school. I hated to lose a good man.

The dirt in front of our apartment right next to the curb of Main Street didn't stand a CHANCE, while I leveled land for Malls, Airports and Train Stations. I had WORK to do. Stay outta my way

And don't let me get my hands on a SUPERBALL. I Was a bouncing FOOL. Kept me in good shape because one bad bounce meant that I had to run about a half-mile down the street to retrieve it.

The smell of burnt caps was satisfying after I faux murdered my best friends. So much fun for so little money.

Those were all great toys that I played with all the time. I also had a chemistry set, which would no doubt be illegal today, and tons of legos (though they only came as red and white bricks and green and grey baseplates, and with zero instructions).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 07:46PM by davester.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: June 24, 2014 07:50PM
I paid the extra 3 cents and got the one with the rubber band.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 24, 2014 07:55PM
Vision, I had ALL of that stuff plus more. Loved those balsa wood planes, but they were oh so delicate. If I had a few extra coins, I'd opt for the rubber band powered propellor version.

There was another plane type toy that we bought often back when I was a kid. I think for about a dime you would get a small plastic plane with a rubber band launcher. We'd pull that sucker back, launch, and then watch it fly away at terrific speeds, high in the air, never to be seen again.

And about the superballs, I watched a neighbor kid throw one down on our sidewalk, which came back and tagged him in the nose. Worst bloody nose I ever saw! Good times!! smiley-excited001

Edit: pic of the plane described above.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 08:02PM by Rick-o.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 24, 2014 07:56PM
Chakravartin

Whoa! Beat me to it!

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: June 24, 2014 08:02PM
Rick-o
Chakravartin

Whoa! Beat me to it!

Money well spent. Money well spent. Now I wanna go play with Davester's Chemistry set. What can I melt or dissolve?
Posted by: Black
Date: June 24, 2014 08:05PM
When I was little these were the toy people:

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: June 24, 2014 08:11PM
Black
When I was little these were the toy people:

When I was little, these were space ships.

These were landing pads.

Posted by: M>B>
Date: June 24, 2014 08:22PM
Had this one...

Launched with a huge rubber band on a stick. Could really gain the altitude before the wings opened!

Thanks for the memory from my youth.
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: June 24, 2014 08:27PM

After you got tired of those cap pistols, you could do something quite daring indeed with the caps.
First, grow a decent thumbnail.
Then, slowly drag it along the strip, seeing how many could be set off.
A very characteristic second-degree burn blister would form on the skin just below the thumb, if you did it right.

Eustace
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 24, 2014 08:28PM
I had them with and without the rubber band.

Low end drones but higher end shootin' irons complete with Shootin' Shells.

For times when less-lethal was called for. It used ping-pong balls.

During rain or cease fire.

I had all three frogmen, the sub, and the PT boat. As I was a little older, these were science experiments, not toys.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 24, 2014 08:43PM
eustacetilley

After you got tired of those cap pistols, you could do something quite daring indeed with the caps.
First, grow a decent thumbnail.
Then, slowly drag it along the strip, seeing how many could be set off.
A very characteristic second-degree burn blister would form on the skin just below the thumb, if you did it right.

Eustace

I totally remember doing that! I remember loving the smell of those things. I can remember it exactly right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 08:44PM by BernDog.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: June 24, 2014 08:48PM
Good toys, all!

We figured out that hammering caps was good fun. Then we figured out that hammering an entire roll of caps with a sledgehammer was even better!

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 24, 2014 08:56PM

I love listening to you old guys drone on reminisce.
Date: June 24, 2014 09:28PM
What did you enjoy when you were a boy Steve G? Maybe Kites.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 24, 2014 09:36PM
Erector Set, Mr. Machine, Water Rockets, and Lionel Trains were some of my favorites.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 24, 2014 09:40PM
The greatest past time ever and the start of the nanny government…

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: June 24, 2014 09:47PM
Ombligo
The greatest past time ever and the start of the nanny government…

Banned from my house after we smashed a few windows with them.

(Not deliberately. Just throwing them over our shoulders to see how far we could blindly fling them.)
Date: June 24, 2014 09:55PM
GGD
Erector Set, Mr. Machine, Water Rockets, and Lionel Trains were some of my favorites.

I can smell those trains right now! And those water rockets were the bomb. I loved them.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 24, 2014 10:03PM
I'm only kidding you oldsters.

I actually played this with my cousins when i was a kid.

Posted by: jh
Date: June 24, 2014 10:34PM

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 24, 2014 11:16PM
did all of those, including the rocks on caps trick.

you forgot: "someone is going to lose an eye!!"

also this, if anyone remembers. one day, dad came over and mumbled something about them being no good for us and took it away. ah, the smell as we inhaled the vapors from blowing them up. :-/

Posted by: Don C
Date: June 24, 2014 11:37PM
Ah, what great memories!

Lionel trains? Nah. Trains don't run on three tracks. Gilbert trains ran on two tracks just like the real ones. Had a pretty good setup in the room that had once been the coal storage room; it provided birthday and Christmas presents for my brother and me for years! Cleaning the track with gasoline he very nearly burned the house down on the Friday after Thanksgiving. The NEW room had space for a new HO setup but that one never captured our hearts like the Gilbert set.

Hammer were our primary instruments of impact for caps. Guns had too many duds and we could run down a row of caps pretty fast. I had forgotten about the finger nail process; we did that too!

The submarine which used baking soda for power came in a cereal box but I'd be hard pressed to remember which cereal it was. Probably Wheaties, since that was my goto breakfast, but we could well have gotten something else just to get the submarine.

Great thread!!!
Date: June 24, 2014 11:48PM
Don C
The submarine which used baking soda for power came in a cereal box but I'd be hard pressed to remember which cereal it was.

Cap'n Crunch had the memorable one for me. It came in colors so you could have competitions.

Corn Flakes had the baking soda divers. Frosted Flakes and Fruit Loops had a plainer baking soda submarine and a baking soda "steam" boat.

Although I remember the Crunch version as the first I have read that it was really Corn Flakes that had the first one right around WWII and then Rice Krispies had a popular one in the 1950s.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 25, 2014 12:45AM
Chakravartin

I stayed away from those. Additional point of failure.

It is what it is.
Date: June 25, 2014 12:47AM
Great thread! Best in a LONG time here.

It is what it is.
Posted by: steve...
Date: June 25, 2014 01:32AM
I spent hours and hours playing with that Fort Apache set in jh's post.

We had an American Flyer electric train and once in the summer, my brother and I took it out on the sidewalk and raced our friend's Lionel train. We had about ten feet of strait track and from a standing start, the Lionel was the winner.

I still have the train.

Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: June 25, 2014 03:20AM
Lionel trains were the best. At first, my folks only brought them out for Xmas, but later, they let us just play with them, since they were indestructible. We had other things in mind than circling the tree.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 25, 2014 04:56AM
My dad's coworkers at Buick bought me a Lionel train set after the accident in which I lost my arm.

Don't forget Este's model rockets…

WIZ-Z-ZER tops

SSP race cars

clacker balls

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: billb
Date: June 25, 2014 05:38AM
jh
]

Had those and a similar set ( I don't think they were Bayco ) that built a skyscraper.
outgrew the lincoln logs and tinkertoys

my first train was an S gauge 4-4-2, might have been an old triple track. I remember the high trestles for the elongated figure 8 layout better than the number of rails the track had.
Thn HO trains and cars. No big slot cars though.
We would rewire the little round HO car engines with bigger wire to make them go faster. If you used really heavy wire they would melt and burst into flames if you could keep it on the track long enough.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 05:42AM by billb.
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: June 25, 2014 05:49AM

Clackers.
They really put an end to in-season Horse Chestnuts contests, because when properly Clacked, they really could put an eye out.

Eustace
Posted by: Pam
Date: June 25, 2014 09:42AM
I remember and played with most of those toys! Good times and memories smiling smiley
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 25, 2014 10:12AM
Man, you guys must be old to remember these toys!

Some of the bigger retailers published special toy catalogs after Thanksgiving each year. I know I drooled over that Fort Apache set many times. I did have a very nice set of Civil War soldiers, though. They were appropriately colored in blue and grey. We also had the exact Erector set pictured above that included a 110 volt motor.

It seems like the simpler toys of yesteryear offered more opportunities for creative play than today's stuff. As someone mentioned earlier, a set of Legos were mostly just plain bricks. It took a lot of imagination, but I spent endless hours laying on the floor making all kinds of things with them. Now they come with instructions that must be dutifully followed in order to make whatever the kit is designed to be. old fogey smiley

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 10:16AM by Ammo.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 25, 2014 10:28AM
And some things that were not intended to be toys.

And our early 3D technology, the ViewMaster,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 10:44AM by GGD.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 25, 2014 10:40AM
Speaking of matches, did anyone ever do the match heads-in-empty-CO2-cartridge rocket?

It was "the thing" for about a week until someone decided to try using strike-anywhere match heads, and it went off in the kid's basement during assembly. emoticon-tv-015

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 10:41AM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 25, 2014 11:38AM
WOW! Sooooooo many great memories here! I (and my siblings) had many of these toys, Between my Gilbert Erector sets, Lionel Slot Car set up, building blocks, Lincoln Logs and so much more, we had hours and hours of fun. It's truly a shame that today's kid are pretty clueless about being able to entertain ~ educate themselves with simple things. It also wasn't unusual for me to be reading a wide variety of books iof I wasn't playing with my toys.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: June 25, 2014 06:52PM
remember them all. The SSP racers were the best.

Bryan
Date: June 25, 2014 07:06PM
Ombligo
WIZ-Z-ZER tops

Dude, I used to LOVE my Wizzer tops!!! I think I actually owned that orange and black one.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 07:07PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: June 25, 2014 07:09PM
Ammo
Some of the bigger retailers published special toy catalogs after Thanksgiving each year.

The arrival of the Sears and Toys-R-Us catalogs were the official harbingers of the Christmas season for us kids back in the day. It's hilarious to think back on how much time I spent poring over them.

It is what it is.
Date: June 25, 2014 07:13PM
SSP racers were great, but I always preferred my Sizzlers cars.

It is what it is.
Date: June 25, 2014 07:16PM
Another childhood favorite: the VertiBird helicopter toy!

EDIT: Commercial for the VertiBird!: [www.youtube.com]

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 07:31PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: June 25, 2014 10:22PM
N-OS X-tasy!
SSP racers were great, but I always preferred my Sizzlers cars.

I think Tesla needs to get in on the retro branding.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: June 25, 2014 10:29PM
eustacetilley
...A very characteristic second-degree burn blister would form on the skin just below the thumb, if you did it right.
Eustace

ha..ha - I was just thinking that - I still remember the massive blister I got, and how I learned never to try that again. Musta been around 40 or so years ago.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: June 25, 2014 10:34PM
mrbigstuff
...also this, if anyone remembers. one day, dad came over and mumbled something about them being no good for us and took it away. ah, the smell as we inhaled the vapors from blowing them up. :-/

Yup - same experience, but it was mom who took it away, along with the glow-in-the-dark balls (hollow, about the size of a softball, and coated on the inside with glow-in-the-dark stuff). This was shortly after an Uncle (her sister-in-law's husband) passed away from stomach cancer; she got rid of all sorts of stuff around the house.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 25, 2014 10:49PM
Man, you guys must be old to remember these toys!

Not me.

I was channeling grandpa's tales told 'round the digital fireplace.

Many's the time he told us tall tails of primitive toys like the Vue-Master in brown or red, the Whirly-Birds helicopter available from mail order, or Eldon slot cars.

Such stories! Why, once he even told us that in his day his family and grandpa would go out into the wilderness and still around an actual fire while he told unbelievable stories, too.

How people could actually live like that, I'll never know!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 25, 2014 11:16PM
RAMd®d
How people could actually live like that, I'll never know!

Old people like to tell funny stories.

My parents told me that when they were kids there were no area codes for phone calls, watches ran on coiled springs, sodas cost a nickel, there was no such thing as home air conditioning and cars didn't have seatbelts.

I think they're making it all up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015