advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OPEN SOURCE laptop recovery software?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 03, 2014 05:35PM
I want to install one of these, I have a license for LoJack but I think it is only for a limited time after which I need to pay. I know about Orbicule/Undercover, apparently someone here got their laptop back a few years ago because of this. Still, I remember reading about some open source software like this, it may not have all the bells and whistles of LoJack or Orbicule/Undercover, but it should be better than nothing for some friends who I help with their computing needs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 05:36PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OPEN SOURCE laptop recovery software?
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 03, 2014 10:34PM
I was hoping someone would chime in. Funny thing is, I do remember there was a free open-source version of recovery software. Stranger yet, I downloaded it and even installed it on the kids' Macbooks. But since then, one of the Macbooks has been sold and the other no longer has it installed. And I've forgotten the name of the software and can’t find any record of it. Sorry.

-update-

A ha! You probably already did this, but I just googled and found it right away. At least the one I'm thinking of. It's called Adeona. And apparently it's defunct.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: July 04, 2014 06:58AM
I think that you are looking for prey at preyproject.com for laptops and all the mobile ones, I put it on after an ipad was stolen from my house (right next to a touchpad that wasn't taken-not sure what that says about the thieves). I used this because I did not find any other mobile options at the time.

Mark Dobbs
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 04, 2014 07:34AM
Thanks both of you.

yes, if I remember correctly, it was probably an open source project hosted on some univeristy web site, although I don't recall the name. Could have been Adeona or something else. too bad to hear that Adeona is no longer developed.

and thanks for preyproject.com, I will give it a try. I have several friends and family members on low budgets and using something open source or low cost should help a lot.

perfect, thanks. have a great holiday!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018