advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2002. 2014. Wish OSX Had an AZZ Card App/Software
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 06, 2014 01:18PM
Is there anything like this for OSX? Loved using it in 2002.

[www.azzcardfile.com]

azzCardfile is Windows program that helps manage any personal information like addresses, phone numbers, references, notes, recipes.
It can serve as personal organizer, contact manager, address book, rolodex, personal information manager (PIM) or small database software. Replaces Microsoft Cardfile.
Modern customizable user interface, ease of use and extensive features makes this information management software equally suitable for business office or home use.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2002. 2014. Wish OSX Had an AZZ Card App/Software
Posted by: archipirata
Date: July 06, 2014 01:31PM
iDatabase: [www.apimac.com]

Athens, OH
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: July 06, 2014 01:44PM
chopper
Is there anything like this for OSX? Loved using it in 2002.

[www.azzcardfile.com]

azzCardfile is Windows program that helps manage any personal information like addresses, phone numbers, references, notes, recipes.
It can serve as personal organizer, contact manager, address book, rolodex, personal information manager (PIM) or small database software. Replaces Microsoft Cardfile.
Modern customizable user interface, ease of use and extensive features makes this information management software equally suitable for business office or home use.

Just for the confused, the censored word is AZZ.
Why is it censored? Only the repulsive self-loathing Coprophile in charge of censoring things around here knows for sure.

Eustace
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 06, 2014 03:53PM
chopper
Is there anything like this for OSX?

There are many. Besides the one mentioned by archiprata, check out:

[www.idatapartners.com]
[www.devontechnologies.com]
[plausible.coop]
[www.circusponies.com]
Date: July 06, 2014 03:56PM
It was a cool piece of software ... acted like an old index card. I'd look up a guy's name, and knew his DOB, and other contact details, right away. Could have loads of text in the file.
Date: July 06, 2014 04:06PM
First, thanks.

I have to be at a 7 year old's birthday party in a few mins ... looked those potential alternatives to AZZ quickly ... and it's interesting how seemingly none of them are as simple to use, and immediately start using, as AZZ was. I wish I had a screen grab of my old Windows AZZ file ...
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 06, 2014 05:57PM
eustacetilley
Why is it censored? Only the repulsive self-loathing Coprophile in charge of censoring things around here knows for sure.

Eustace

And now it's no longer censored. Whoever is in charge, didn't create the list, and is pretty reasonable if you ask for a change, and cite a thread like this one where the benign usage can be seen in context.

Just use the Report this Post link and politely ask, and there's a good chance that it will be addressed fairly quickly. That's what I did when I saw the first post, and now it's been adjusted.

Thanks Admin whoever you are for being reasonable and responsive.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: July 06, 2014 07:10PM
This works well for me:

Yojimbo

Mike
Date: July 06, 2014 11:54PM
GGD
eustacetilley

Eustace

And now it's no longer censored. Whoever is in charge, didn't create the list, and is pretty reasonable if you ask for a change, and cite a thread like this one where the benign usage can be seen in context.

Just use the Report this Post link and politely ask, and there's a good chance that it will be addressed fairly quickly. That's what I did when I saw the first post, and now it's been adjusted.

GGD, you are a very nice and extremely attentive participant, but you aren't quite getting my point.
In my lonely opinion, the software is wrong, and the reasoning behind the software is wrong, and the decision behind installing said software is wrong.
I think that I have used "Report this Post" link twice, and both times it was for blatant abuse. Never ever for the use of a questionable word.

I don't think that we want to become a bunch of language bullies, reporting posts about appropriate or inappropriate wording to Nanny for a decision, on a daily basis. Nanny has better things to do.

But that is my lonely opinion, and I'm sure that nobody shares it.

Eustace
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 07, 2014 02:49AM
I think we see things differently.

While I don't like the filtering and like you, wish it were never implemented, I accept that we're all guests here and don't get to make the rules. I also view the admins as the ones who are here to address issues with the forum itself, and they're not the one who made the rules.

So, I think it is appropriate to contact them to request adjustments of the filter list on a case by case basis (they did ask for feedback on the contents of the list when first implemented). I don't view this as being a language bully, but rather a request to make the forum better by fixing a filter when there's an excellent example of why it should be fixed. It has nothing to do with the person who posted it, just that their post would make a lot more sense if we could actually read the words that they wrote.

Since the admins don't read every post, "Report This Post" is a very efficient way to accomplish, the number of time's I've used it for this purpose could be counted on one hand. I more frequently use it to report forum spam by a first time user late at night with links to somewhere unrelated to this forum's focus.

eustacetilley
GGD
eustacetilley

Eustace

GGD, you are a very nice and extremely attentive participant, but you aren't quite getting my point.
In my lonely opinion, the software is wrong, and the reasoning behind the software is wrong, and the decision behind installing said software is wrong.
I think that I have used "Report this Post" link twice, and both times it was for blatant abuse. Never ever for the use of a questionable word.

I don't think that we want to become a bunch of language bullies, reporting posts about appropriate or inappropriate wording to Nanny for a decision, on a daily basis. Nanny has better things to do.

Eustace
Date: July 07, 2014 06:58AM
GGD
I think we see things differently.

While I don't like the filtering and like you, wish it were never implemented, I accept that we're all guests here and don't get to make the rules. I also view the admins as the ones who are here to address issues with the forum itself, and they're not the one who made the rules.

So, I think it is appropriate to contact them to request adjustments of the filter list on a case by case basis (they did ask for feedback on the contents of the list when first implemented). I don't view this as being a language bully, but rather a request to make the forum better by fixing a filter when there's an excellent example of why it should be fixed. It has nothing to do with the person who posted it, just that their post would make a lot more sense if we could actually read the words that they wrote.

Since the admins don't read every post, "Report This Post" is a very efficient way to accomplish, the number of time's I've used it for this purpose could be counted on one hand. I more frequently use it to report forum spam by a first time user late at night with links to somewhere unrelated to this forum's focus.

eustacetilley
GGD
eustacetilley

Eustace

Eustace

Thank you, GGD, you have been more than patient with me. If the software had been properly implemented, and the list started out small, maybe fifty words at maximum, I would have no problem with it, and maybe even contributed a couple of juicy ones.
It's easy to remember 50 or so no-nos.

Here is the pertinent quote, from the pertinent thread, that we both participated in way back when:
[forums.macresource.com]

"There are about 800 words. While some included words may have an approved context use, they are in there because of an inappropriate usage and the potential for reported posts that could contain them, and these words are not typically used in the correct context."

800 words. That's maybe ten percent of the average adult's working vocabulary.
Oh, I'm sure that it has been pruned since, because of diligent efforts from people like yourself. Maybe the list is down to 750 words, most of them so obscure that it would take a mind far dirtier than mine to appreciate them.
I actually downloaded the github repository back then, and many a chuckle was had in combing over the code.

Also, note the poll results.
Only 18% approved of the new censoring back then. I doubt that a new poll would be allowed.

You are quite right of course on something else; we are guests here, and we must abide by House Rules.
If only we knew what those rules actually are. It shouldn't be too much trouble to post the revised list somewhere, if not here.

As others have pointed out before, and as I have pointed out in my first post in this discussion, there are many ways to get around the silly censor, and those ways can be abused in other ways, if abuse is what is wanted.
There are really only a couple of posters here who thrive on abusing others, and the filter has done a damn poor job of reining them in.

Eustace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 262
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018