AAPL stock: $100.75 ( +0.64 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Near record Copperhead killed in NC.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 29, 2006 12:30PM
[www.salisburypost.com]

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2006 12:58PM by Grateful11.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Near record Copperhead killer in NC.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 29, 2006 12:48PM
I realize that they are poisonous, but it seems sad somehow. Here's this snake, going along and minding his own business, and BAM he is killed by somebody just for being what he is. sad smiley

Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: September 29, 2006 12:50PM
What a damn shame that their first instinct was to kill it.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Date: September 29, 2006 12:58PM
I know. I usually try to pick up the snakes here on the farm and move them further back
somewhere. I did catch a small copperhead in my basement when we first moved in 11
years ago, I drew the line with that and smashed it. Outside is one thing inside is another.
We used to have a huge black snake living in the ceiling of the milk barn, we just let it be
and it took care of the rats and mice for us.

Grateful11
Re: Near record Copperhead killed in NC.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: September 29, 2006 02:30PM
Stephanie's gonna have a fit.

Athens, OH
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: September 29, 2006 03:03PM
I don't like the fact that most people's reaction to a snake is KILL IT!

Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 29, 2006 03:13PM
Ditto all of the above. Sadly.
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: September 29, 2006 07:16PM
Gratefull11, if possible, try calling local orgs (animal control or any wildlife rescue places) before killing a snake. Most venomous bites occur when someone's trying to kill the snake. And, snakes can recover from some amazing injuries. I have a bullsnake whose head was crushed as a baby because the person who found him thought he was a rattlesnake. Point is, it might not be dead just because you smashed it. Their heads can actually retain consciousness (if intact) for a while after the body has died.

& yes, it's the "kill first, ask questions after" attitude that I try so hard to counteract by doing educational programs with my snakeys!

Too bad there aren't more educators out there who could teach these folks a thing or two...
Date: September 29, 2006 10:10PM
Stephanie
Gratefull11, if possible, try calling local orgs (animal control or any wildlife rescue places) before killing a snake. Most venomous bites occur when someone's trying to kill the snake. And, snakes can recover from some amazing injuries. I have a bullsnake whose head was crushed as a baby because the person who found him thought he was a rattlesnake. Point is, it might not be dead just because you smashed it. Their heads can actually retain consciousness (if intact) for a while after the body has died.

& yes, it's the "kill first, ask questions after" attitude that I try so hard to counteract by doing educational programs with my snakeys!

Too bad there aren't more educators out there who could teach these folks a thing or two...

I'm sorry if it bothers you that I've killed one snake in about 11 years but if I find another
venomous in my basement I will kill it too before it has a chance to hide somewhere.
Believe me it was dead. We have nursed chipmunks, rabbits, squirrels and others back
to health so they can be released into the wild. When you live on a farm you have to
come grips that somethings have to be done whether one likes it or not including the killing of foxes,
raccoons and other varmints. I gave up hunting years ago but I'm glad there are those
who still do it. Some of us have to make life and death decisions on a monthly and
sometimes daily basis. If our livestock is in danger appropriate action can and will be
taken. I may sound cruel and heartless but we once had a dairy cow for over 20 years,
she gave no milk and could not breed but we kept her and fed her just the same as
everyone else. She would come up to us when the weather started getting cold and rub
up against and we knew she wanted in the barn for the night and that's where she went.
We lost her a few years back and it was very hard on my wife as she raised her from a
calf, her name was Gizmo we called her "Giz". So as you can see we are compassionate
about life of animals but sometimes you must do what you have to do.

[forums.macresource.com]

[forums.macresource.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: September 30, 2006 01:14AM
um, no need for hostility. I was trying to point out that it's really not the safest thing to do!

I'd rather NOT see anyone bitten by a venomous snake because they were messing with it.

if you're close enough to kill it with a hoe, you're close enough to stick it into a garbage can to keep it from escaping.
Date: September 30, 2006 11:58AM
You must be reading hostility into it, no hostility was intended. I was apologizing to you for upsetting you.
I don't have a problem with snakes, venomous or non, outside but they're not living in my basement.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login