advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can I leave cords from a DVD player plugged into the TV and stereo receiver at the same time with an RCA Y?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 15, 2014 03:39PM
(All of the equipment mentioned is from the 90's before HDMI, flat TV screens, etc.)

I play DVD movies, music CDs and MP3s from a Sony DVD player, but I have to switch the RCA yellow, red, & white cables between the front of the TV and the back of the receiver. They're in a cabinet, so it's a big hassle. If I got some RCA Ys and left the cords plugged in to the TV and receiver at the same time, will it cause interference hums or anything else negative?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can I leave cords from a DVD player plugged into the TV and stereo receiver at the same time with an RCA Y?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 15, 2014 03:41PM
Loss will be a factor. There are commercial audio/video switches available. They used to be very common before HDMI world.

Here is an example

[www.amazon.com]
Re: Can I leave cords from a DVD player plugged into the TV and stereo receiver at the same time with an RCA Y?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 15, 2014 03:48PM
Loss won't matter much unless it's big. I can unplug the TV cords while I'm listening to music, but not the other way around.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 15, 2014 03:55PM
I was in a similar position some years ago, and I went with a switch. It worked nicely. I never had to get in the dusty hell hole that was the back of my set ever again. Or fiddle around with RCA plugs.
Posted by: MEG
Date: July 15, 2014 04:00PM
On my old 90's era setup I had the digital output from the DVD connected to the receiver and the analog outputs to the to the TV. Worked like a charm - no plugging/unplugging necessary.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 15, 2014 04:33PM
cbelt3
Loss will be a factor. There are commercial audio/video switches available. They used to be very common before HDMI world.

Here is an example

[www.amazon.com]

I've been using this Sima model, been very happy with it:

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 15, 2014 05:14PM
Just don't cross the steams. NEVER cross the streams.

It is what it is.
Posted by: dk62
Date: July 15, 2014 05:38PM
Yes you can. Been there, done that. If you get any problems, you are out a couple of bucks only - just try it.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 15, 2014 05:57PM
You can even get one with a remote for a couple bucks more! (I used to have an HDMI switch w/remote in the days of paucity of HDMI inputs - ended up programming my Harmony remote to do the switching for me based on what activity i was doing....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 16, 2014 09:59PM
It will be fine. I once hooked up a DVD player to two TV's at the same time, composite video with a splitter, no problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 183
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020