Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can't migrate PC data to new MBP
Posted by: dmag
Date: July 19, 2014 04:28AM
Hi,

Bought a MBP for a birthday, and was told that migrating the PC data from their laptop would be a breeze. So far, not so. They're coming back in about three hours and I wanted to have it done.

Downloaded Migration Asst. to the PC. Installed okay. MBP running 10.9 (will update to 10.9.4 once migration is done.).

Ran Migration Asst. on Mac, got the six-digit number that is supposed to show on both computers.

However, Migration Asst. on the PC is showing nothing, just says "waiting for the Mac to connect." Tried on my MBP and it's the same. Can't get past first base.

The PC is seeing the network and Firefox works, etc.

Not much more to add. Any advice you can offer? I know I can do this manually but I want the account, email, bookmarks and all the rest to come over at one time. Still hoping.

Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2014 04:30AM by dmag.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can't migrate PC data to new MBP
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 19, 2014 05:01AM
What email client do they use? What browser? Grabbing bookmarks and files manually should be pretty easy. I generally do these steps manually. It isn't hard if you have a drive to dump everything on to and then sneaknet it to the new computer.
Date: July 19, 2014 05:36AM
Gmail and Firefox.

25 gigs of data, which isn't that much.

I'd just hoped to migrate smoothly and have everything in its place by the time the birthday person got home.

Thanks.
Date: July 19, 2014 05:48AM
Gmail in a browser? There's nothing to migrate, so that step is done. smiling smiley

You should be able to grab the Firefox data easily enough, or better yet, have you tried enabling Firefox sync?
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: July 19, 2014 05:51AM
[macs.about.com]

This is the procedure for Lion. I has things listed in a specific order. I would think it holds true for Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

HTH

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: July 19, 2014 06:15AM
Thanks for the above. Question...

I have an external drive I can hook up to the PC, but it's already got Mac data on it. Can I pull data off the PC with that, or do I need to get another one, formatted for PC?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2014 06:23AM by dmag.
Date: July 19, 2014 06:23AM
If you have an HFS driver for the PC you can read/write the Mac drive, otherwise you need to reformat. NTFS is the native format for Windows, but the Mac can only read that file system out of the box, which is fine for this use case. FAT32 could work, but there's a drive and file limitation. exFAT can work as well, read and write supported on modern versions of Windows and OS X and eliminates the low ceiling for drive capacity and file size.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 19, 2014 07:15AM
dmag
Bought a MBP for a birthday, and was told that migrating the PC data from their laptop would be a breeze.

Who said this? Did they ask you complete and competent questions to make sure everything would work? If not, see below.

So far, not so. They're coming back in about three hours and I wanted to have it done.

Go back to the same people that said it would be easy and demand they do it.

If it was an official Apple store, demand to see the manager. When you get to the manager, demand to contact the regional director. Make a stink and make sure they know that you are doing this because it makes Apple look bad.

This is one of the reasons I made this -

Edit: I would expect it to take about three hours unless all the data was already in "The Cloud" or the person you bought it for was employed as a cross-platform IT worker.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2014 07:20AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: July 19, 2014 09:03AM
Export the Firefox bookmarks which will give you an HTML file. Transfer that file to the Mac and import the bookmarks.

Gmail via a browser should be in the Gmail account already; just log in to Gmail.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 19, 2014 03:02PM
JEBB
Export the Firefox bookmarks which will give you an HTML file. Transfer that file to the Mac and import the bookmarks.

Gmail via a browser should be in the Gmail account already; just log in to Gmail.

You can grab the entire Firefox profiles folder. It is cross platform.

But really, that type of conversion is anything but easy.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: July 19, 2014 06:05PM
Thanks, guys.

Actually, synced Firefox...and grabbed all the docs, pics, videos and music via the external. Went really fast.

Migration Assistant is very flawed where a PC is involved. I've used it with another Mac before and it worked better.

Got a new Mac user now, pretty excited. IPhoto is bl

Much appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 220
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018