advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Comcast, Time Warner boost net speeds in Google Fiber city – COINCIDENCE?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 02, 2014 05:09PM
Here=> [www.theregister.co.uk]

Comcast and Time Warner will hike their broadband speeds in Kansas City, which just so happens to be the first place Google Fiber rolled out.

The pair of telco giants will boost transfer rates without a price increase, the Kansas City Star in Missouri reports. Kansas City is one of the few US markets where Comcast and Time Warner have real broadband competition beyond phone company DSL: the Midwest metropolis is the home of Google's first Fiber broadband project.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Comcast, Time Warner boost net speeds in Google Fiber city – COINCIDENCE?
Posted by: MEG
Date: August 02, 2014 05:16PM
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 02, 2014 05:38PM
AT&T was caught doing this in Austin. They had publicly stated that high speed was not possible with thei installed hardware.

Within weeks of google announcing Austin as a city, AT&T had magically figured out how to up the speeds. Indeed, they beat google to the punch.

This is what's so wrong with the FCC ending net neutrality. It's essentially ending such competition options.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 02, 2014 05:49PM
sekker
AT&T was caught doing this in Austin. They had publicly stated that high speed was not possible with thei installed hardware.

Within weeks of google announcing Austin as a city, AT&T had magically figured out how to up the speeds. Indeed, they beat google to the punch.

This is what's so wrong with the FCC ending net neutrality. It's essentially ending such competition options.

Those are really two different things. Net neutrality is treating every packet the same as every other packet. Lack of local competition, which is the case in most markets (telco monopoly vs. cable monopoly, which intentionally do not compete with each other on price) is at least as serious of a problem. I'd argue it's far more serious, as it inhibits improvements in service, price, speed, bandwidth, you name it, but that's just me...
Date: August 02, 2014 06:19PM
Will, the new rules will make competition far less likely with the proposed rules that ends net neutrality.

That was supposed to be the point of my comment.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 02, 2014 08:18PM
sekker
Will, the new rules will make competition far less likely with the proposed rules that ends net neutrality.

That was supposed to be the point of my comment.

Yep. Let's also remember the FCC is looking into trying to curtail local/state governments from signing laws that ban competition. Of course, people are trying to stop such FCC "overreach" as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2014 08:20PM by silvarios.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 02, 2014 09:30PM
If I take Google Fiber, will it make and keep me regular?
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 03, 2014 12:26AM
Google is negotiating with San Antonio for Fiber, and whadaya know, ATT announces Giga something coming!
[www.att.com]

Now That is Capitalism / Competition. What we have had is local monopoly's running everything into the ground.

It is completely separate from "Net Neutrality".

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: August 03, 2014 01:01AM
Rolando

Sort of, the absence of competition meant the lack of net neutrality was particularly worrisome. Who are you going to switch to if your current ISP is jerking around your connection?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 03, 2014 07:22AM
Duh. DUH. DUH!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 03, 2014 12:08PM
Rolando
Google is negotiating with San Antonio for Fiber, and whadaya know, ATT announces Giga something coming!
[www.att.com]

Now That is Capitalism / Competition. What we have had is local monopoly's running everything into the ground.

No, not really. The FCC has proposed new rules that couples ending net neutrality and making competition harder.

These COULD be independent, but Uncle Sam has connected them.

This is why every concerned citizen should be following and commenting during the public comment period we are in.

This connection by the FCC is very damaging IMHO. I think it sets us up for the ISPs to act like cable companies.

In my experience, there is no worse industry because most towns don't really have an option besides broadband cable. My DSL here is terrible and not via able - getting verizon LTE is faster.
Date: August 03, 2014 04:18PM
sekker
In my experience, there is no worse industry because most towns don't really have an option besides broadband cable. My DSL here is terrible and not via able - getting verizon LTE is faster.

With ultra low caps. LTE on most carriers is an incredible rip off. Who needs the speed if our cap is 4GB or less? Even HomeFusion from Verizon isn't much better. $60 for 10GB. $20 if you add to.an existing, most expensive plans in the industry, line of Verizon service. No thanks.

If I were already paying for a plan that offers tethering, it would make sense to use the service (in actuality, I do), but paying extra for capped LTE?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020