advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New Indian Scout - Wow!
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: August 04, 2014 09:45AM
Looks pretty damn good, 100 hp and 72 foot/pounds of torque with a wet weight of 538 pounds (no fuel), and only $10,999:

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New Indian Scout - Wow!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 04, 2014 09:57AM
Don't drive it to a Redskins game...
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 04, 2014 10:04AM
Wouldn't "no fuel" be the dry weight?

Shouldn't make too much of as difference as bikes rarely hold much gas.
Date: August 04, 2014 10:05AM
testcase
Wouldn't "no fuel" be the dry weight?

Shouldn't make too much of as difference as bikes rarely hold much gas.

Yeah, weird wording, I just copied the text from the press release.

Posted by: PeterW
Date: August 04, 2014 10:13AM
It's water cooled. That's what the dry weight refers to.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 04, 2014 11:11AM
That tan seat looks like an afterthought. Looks out of place to me.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 04, 2014 11:20AM
IDK, the brown seat reminds me of a saddle. I kinda like it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: steve...
Date: August 04, 2014 11:38AM
100 hp?

My VW Bug only had 50.

driving smiley

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: August 04, 2014 11:44AM
HiHo Silver,
Get'um up Scout,
Here comes Tonto
With his . . . shirt tail hangin out.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 04, 2014 11:54AM
538 lbs!? You sure aren't going to be slinging that through any corners. Purely a drive in a straight line bike. I don't get the appeal of these things. I like agile bikes.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Schpark
Date: August 04, 2014 12:17PM
I will never get another MC with a single front disc.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 04, 2014 02:26PM
Good looking bike.

neophyte
That tan seat looks like an afterthought. Looks out of place to me.

I'm wondering where they cut corners to get to that price. I'm thinking the seat might be one such place.

davester
538 lbs!? You sure aren't going to be slinging that through any corners. Purely a drive in a straight line bike. I don't get the appeal of these things. I like agile bikes.

Ditto. I have my eye on the Sukuzi V-Strom 650. It wouldn't break my heart to find that Indian parked in my garage, though.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: August 04, 2014 02:44PM
Phsaw. Wow is right. Many people buy more motorcycle than they need.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: August 04, 2014 03:38PM
Love the look. Worried about the exhaust pipe next to my right foot. If you can add a passenger seat, would they be toasty also?
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: August 04, 2014 04:17PM
Are they taking reservations for these?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 04, 2014 05:28PM
Yoyo,

Love the bike! I agree with the others. A straight line bike. But, being that it's a cruiser, it makes sense. I wouldn't expect it to have the agility of a sport bike. 'course, I like cruisers. So, for me, I'd take it over a sport bike in a heartbeat. For example... You'd never see me on a Suzuki V-Strom. It ain't the bike for me. Nice bike despite that, though. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: August 04, 2014 05:33PM
Robert M
So, for me, I'd take it over a sport bike in a heartbeat. For example... You'd never see me on a Suzuki V-Strom. It ain't the bike for me. Nice bike despite that, though. smiling smiley

You wouldn't catch me on a sport bike, either - these old bones couldn't take it.

Having said that: The V-Strom ain't no sport bike.

It is what it is.
Date: August 04, 2014 05:43PM
N-OS,

Agreed. Not even sure how to classify the V-Strom. Seems almost a cross between a sport bike and an off-road bike.

Robert
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 04, 2014 06:01PM
It's a cruiser, and I get it. It's my type of ride and the kind of bike I would buy. Maybe that's why I don't get the appeal of a sports bike. I wouldn't EVER consider getting one of those.

Hmm. Nearest Indian dealership is 64 miles away from me. That's a deal killer right there.

I think the price is very affordable for what you get. It's a sharp looking bike and I hope Indian does well with it.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: August 04, 2014 06:33PM
Robert M
N-OS,

Agreed. Not even sure how to classify the V-Strom. Seems almost a cross between a sport bike and an off-road bike.

Robert

It's classified as an adventure bike - calling it a cross between a sport-tourer and an off-road bike wouldn't be too far off.

It is what it is.
Date: August 05, 2014 12:18AM
So, what exactly is the appeal of these "cruiser" bikes? It's difficult to understand. For me, riding on the freeway sucks (due to both boredom and danger), no matter what type of bike I'm riding. I can't see any other purpose other than riding on the freeway for such an enormous bike, so the corollary is that it sucks riding a big bike. Enlighten me as to why it would be fun to ride this bike.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: billb
Date: August 05, 2014 12:27AM
They're for people with balls, Dave.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 05, 2014 01:43AM
538 lbs!? You sure aren't going to be slinging that through any corners.

It's wheel base and steering geometry are far more important than the weight.

My bike is much heavier and loves corners. Looking at the wheel base and rake and trail would be more telling than the weight alone. CG is lower than some bikes, too.

Given the H-D style, I doubt that it was designed for hard cornering, but I bet a moderately competent rider can get through a curve at a brisk pace.

Many people buy more motorcycle than they need.

Many people buy more of a lot of stuff than they need. It's not always about need.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Worried about the exhaust pipe next to my right foot. If you can add a passenger seat, would they be toasty also?

Not to worry. Those pipe very likely have a metal shell/facelle/guard mounted on the actual heat-carrying exhaust pipe that will insulate the the rider from the heat. That and the guard is in open air so it's probably a lot cooler that it looks. T

he mufflers might be problematic for a passenger but I'd like to see a passenger configurations before hazarding a guess.

I don't know how many of you actually put some miles on bikes but I've seen a lot of cruiser types handle twisty curvy roads just fine at brisk speeds. They just lean the bike, it goes through a curve. Not as fast as a sport bike, but a lot of people just aren't in a hurry.

The biggest thing about any bike is the ergos. Many cruisers have the foot pegs mounted farther forward that even a touring bike. On a long ride riders are always wanting to stretch their legs, something of an issue with sport and sport-touring bikes. The reach to the bars combined with the forward foot pegs could be a problem for some people.

I'll ride 300-400 miles in one day. Long Distance riders will do double, almost triple that, easy. Cruisers may be happy with 200 a day. Not every curve is a decreasing radius off-camber reverse hairpin turn needing a Mike the Bike 250cc six-cylinder screamer violating speed limits by 30mph.

Anybody who truly enjoys riding a motorcycle doesn't need to explain why to anybody who truly enjoys riding a motorcycle.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Oh, and Wow!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 05, 2014 02:15AM
That is a really nice looking ride.

It's a really nice change from the many reply-racers that dominate the landscape.

While it has the chrome V-twin look, it's also sleek looking. The starting price $11,000 MSRP is surprisingly low. The huge radiator has a bulky look to it though.

But I could easily learn to over-look it.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 05, 2014 02:42AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Ditto. I have my eye on the Sukuzi V-Strom 650. It wouldn't break my heart to find that Indian parked in my garage, though.

Wouldn't break my heart to have a garage.
Date: August 05, 2014 02:53AM
RAMd®d
Many people buy more motorcycle than they need.

Many people buy more of a lot of stuff than they need. It's not always about need.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think the implication from such a statement, "Many people buy more product-x than they need." is people don't really know what they need; thus, the over purchase. I.e. People could do with less if they could properly factor all values. While I'm sure some people understand all the various details and still go up model, just for the heck of it, but I think this is rarer than people would hope.

Even so, if someone wants a big bike, I'm sure they will find a way to budget for it. It's their money after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2014 03:06AM by silvarios.
Posted by: Wags
Date: August 05, 2014 09:00AM
Nice looking bike, but what's the point without a 2-up seat?

Date: August 05, 2014 09:32AM
RAMd®d
Anybody who truly enjoys riding a motorcycle doesn't need to explain why to anybody who truly enjoys riding a motorcycle.

Bingo, best comment in this thread!

Date: August 05, 2014 10:18AM
RAM,

Quoted for truth! Besides, any attempt to put into words how I feel about riding a motorcycle, preferably a cruiser, would prove woefully inadequate.

Robert
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 05, 2014 12:59PM
> It's difficult to understand

The tiny one can't take a hint.

He doesn't understand. He is small.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: August 05, 2014 02:04PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
RAMd®d

Bingo, best comment in this thread!

Doesn't compute. The people asking about the purpose of this type of bike are already into motorcycles, just not this one. So yes, explanation of the benefits of this model could help. I don't have a care in the world when it comes to motorcycles, so I would not downplay any particular type of bike, but clearly others who are into the scene have questions. Seems weird to discount such reasonable responses.
Date: August 07, 2014 06:26PM
silvarios
Doesn't compute. The people asking about the purpose of this type of bike are already into motorcycles, just not this one. So yes, explanation of the benefits of this model could help. I don't have a care in the world when it comes to motorcycles, so I would not downplay any particular type of bike, but clearly others who are into the scene have questions. Seems weird to discount such reasonable responses.

Agreed. I asked a relatively simple question, to be enlightened as to the appeal of this kind of bike, since I frankly don't see the appeal. Most of what I got back was flak, defensiveness, and insults, but no explanations or enlightenment (I exclude Ramd@d from this, since he did explain that comfort was a biggie and that agile cornering was not a necessity for the type of riding he likes). For the other folks, would it be so hard to respond with something like "I like the look of big bikes", "I like to go out on the salt flats and feel the raw acceleration", "they're comfy and I'm not into speed and twisties", or "they make me feel like a tough guy"?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 06:29PM by davester.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 300
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018