advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oh great. Now MY eBay account got hijacked.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: October 01, 2006 04:22PM
This morning, I had three alerts from from the UK eBay saying my account had been suspended because my listing of Chanel handbags were a trademark misuse. I logged into my eBay account and, sure enough, my account had been suspended. I immediately changed my PayPal and e-mail passwords but couldn't log in to change my eBay password. After about 30 minutes of Live Chat with eBay my account is now active again.

The eBay person claimed that "usually accounts are compromised through spoof emails." Now, I know enough to NEVER click a link in an e-mail. So what the heck happened?

Here's the only suspicious thing that's occurred in the last couple of months. I ordered two CDs via an Ebay auction from a UK company a few months back. A day or two after I ordered the CDs, their account was suspended, despite having 98% positive feedback (half of their negative feedback has come in the last month). I eventually received the CDs and now their account is active again. So, could this have been the connection to my account being hijacked?

Anyhoo, no harm seems to have been done. But I think I'll start changing my passwords on a regular basis now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oh great. Now MY eBay account got hijacked.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 01, 2006 04:33PM
Does that mean you have go back to selling those Chanel handbags out of your trunk over in the Costco parking lot? tongue sticking out smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: October 01, 2006 04:38PM
I'm switching my base of operations over to the Fry's parking lot in a couple of weeks.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 01, 2006 04:42PM
Ooo, thanks for the heads up. I may need a bunch of those purses for Christmas gifts.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 01, 2006 05:22PM
sometimes it is brute force, and they guessed your password.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: October 01, 2006 05:28PM
the irony is that bootleg Chanel bags are made in China, by the same laborers, and are no worse quality than the expensive bag.
Posted by: volcs0
Date: October 01, 2006 07:57PM
Are you sure you really logged into your ebay account?

I hope you didn't click the "ebay" link in the email you got...
Date: October 01, 2006 09:29PM
Like I said, I never click a link in an e-mail to log into my account. I always go to the eBay site and then log in.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: October 01, 2006 10:00PM
Mike,

Use a program like ciphsafe to generate a really good password. Mine is so scrambled, that it looks like Klingon!

GL

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 01, 2006 10:11PM
I know how that feels. Mine got hacked about six months ago. Someone had listed a
Macbook Pro on my account and it was in the UK. It took about a half an hour to get it removed
and another hour or so change email addresses and all misc. passwords. They
told me that someone had to have figured out my password.

[forums.macresource.com]

Grateful11
Date: October 01, 2006 10:29PM
But if the program generates such a complex password, there's no way you can remember it so you have to have it written down or in a text file on your computer. Seems to me, that in itself is a potential security breach which defeats the purpose of an uncrackable password. Obviously, fewer people would have potential access to your passwords, but it's still not safe.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 01, 2006 11:32PM
Mike Sellers
But if the program generates such a complex password, there's no way you can remember it so you have to have it written down or in a text file on your computer. Seems to me, that in itself is a potential security breach which defeats the purpose of an uncrackable password. Obviously, fewer people would have potential access to your passwords, but it's still not safe.

I would never write a password into a text file, that would definitly defeat the purpose. However, if you are the only one in your house, writting the password down and taping it to the monitor is relatively safe. Far safer than having an easy to guess password. Personally, I would make a tough password that is relatively easy to remember and then write it down and put it in a safe for when/if you forget what it is. Thats probably the safest way to go. Besides, if someone has access to your house that wants your password you are probably not safe anyway.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 02, 2006 03:28PM
I keep all my passwords writen down in a spiral bound notebook.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015