advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $94.68 ( +0.74 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How do I remove rust from a non-stick baking pan?
Posted by: trisho.
Date: October 01, 2006 05:05PM
I have a non-stick baking pan that has started to develop rust due to cuts in it from a delicious sheet cake incident. How can I remove this? Is it an oil curing process? It was just orange before but this week I forgot about it soaking in the sink and now it's really rusted/busted. I really like this pan especially because it has one of those plastic covers so it can travel to parties.

I hope my trusty rusty pan is not a goner.

Thanks all,

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How do I remove rust from a non-stick baking pan?
Posted by: mrthuse
Date: October 01, 2006 05:14PM
Ya got rust, you're always gonna have rust. No way to recoat. Trash the pan and get a new one. If the new one's non-stick, use plastic or wooden utensils to turn out whatever's in it. Slicing in a pan's never a good idea; a worse one when chips of non-stick coating get onto the brownies.

Ever watch the guys in the pizza shop? They turn out the pie from the oven to a box via a huge wooden paddle. Slices are accomplished in the box, not on the paddle (and the paddle's wood).
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: October 01, 2006 05:41PM
Try to find an aluminum cake pan, with lid. They're hard to find, but my husband finally turned one up at an Ace Hardware store.

I'm sorry, but there are just some things that require a knife, and I really resent that most of the baking pans available have to be treated with kid gloves. Snarl.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 01, 2006 05:43PM
The paddle is wood so that it doesn't get as hot as metal, when removing the pies. And by the by not all pizzarias use wood paddles.

And it's pretty awkward to try and cut pizza on the paddle, anyway. Cut the pie there and it's tougher to get into the box.

Nothing to do with non-stick.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 01, 2006 06:00PM
We used aluminum peels at Domino's. They are called peels, not paddles FWIW.

ANd i have a coveted aluminum 9x13 cake pan with lid that was my grandmothers. It is older than I am, and i will pass it on to someone when i am too old to use it. (I have her roasting pan as well)

Best bet is to clean the pan well with a sponge, and towel it dry, and wipe a wee bit of olive oil over the scratched portions. Vegetable oil, like corn, will oxidize and thicken and get sticky over time.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 01, 2006 06:07PM
by non-stick you probably mean that it was teflon coated. well, once the teflon coating gets scratched its only going to get worse. aluminum would be a good choice for something that goes in the oven - it doesn't work well on burners because it doesn't transmit heat well.

its my impression that teflon is for people that don't know their way around the kitchen too well. it just doesn't take a beating that well loved kitchen gear should.

Chelsea market has a nice kitchen supply shop although i'm not sure what their prices are like. Otherwise chinatown might be worth exploring for kitchen supplies. maybe its delancy street.

VTPKL it!
Date: October 01, 2006 06:16PM
Teflon coated pans are fine, but you have to be anal about their care, and never ever take anything teflon coated to a potluck or a party. I guarantee you that at least one idiot will dig in with a knife to cut, or a fork to jab out a portion. Even if you have a nylon spatula in the pan. All it takes is one time.
Date: October 01, 2006 06:19PM
It is Teflon coated mattkime and I'm darn good in the kitchen. The plastic travel cover had me at hello.

I think I will try the Chinatown and Bowery restaurant supply stores for an aluminum 9 x 13 sheet pan. Most likely the cover will fit over a new pan because it's the new size. Thanks for those good suggestions although buying almost anything at Chelsea Market requires a bank loan.

Y'all, are there any good brands I should pursue?

trisho.
----------------
Date: October 01, 2006 07:14PM
The problem with removing "rust" is that depending on the pH of when it was formed, the oxygen concentration in the water and other ions dissolved in the tap water, some very stable and insoluble iron oxide compounds can be formed.

This is from memory, I have not tried it recently. Heat the pan to about 180 F in the oven. and microwave some distilled vinegar to almost boiling in a microwave safe (like Pyrex) cup. Put on some heavy rubber gloves, pour the hot vinegar in the pan, and rub gently with a nylong scrub sponge. Wash the pan and hand dry it. To attempt to recoat the formerly rusted spots, bake it in the oven at about 400 F after coating it with oil.

in tha 510.
Posted by: grad
Date: October 01, 2006 07:20PM
Time for a new pan. Sorry!
sad smiley

Date: October 01, 2006 07:42PM
"Y'all, are there any good brands I should pursue?"

use your judgement. look for and feel the quality.

For non-coated stuff, look at restaurant supply stores. You may pay 2-3x as much, but your grandkids will be using it, like I am with my mother's and grandmother's stuff.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: October 01, 2006 09:26PM
Yeah, I'd chime in, but it's already been said.

Any Williams Sinoma stores near you? They have sturdy cooking stuff in both the traditional and non stick stuff. Expensive, as Racer X said, but worth it.

I love my peel that I got from there. Have been wanting to get their "portable" butcher's blocks that they sell, just don't have the room in my apartment kitchen for one. Oh well.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 01, 2006 10:05PM
listen to Racer; restaurant supply store, though they need not all be too expensive... some Costco's used to have impressive restaurant supply sections, though I haven't been to the ones that I knew of for a few years to know if they're still set up that way, but last time there the prices and selection were great. well stocked here now because of those Costco's for future generations.
Date: October 01, 2006 10:41PM
What exactly is a peel?

Filliam, thanks for the recovery suggestion...

trisho.
----------------
Date: October 01, 2006 11:17PM
I was correcting mrthuse. The implement that is used to remove pizzas from an oven, especially a brick oven, is called a pizza peel, not a pizza paddle. It looks like a paddle, but so does a spatula, and a bamboo folding fan, for that matter.

I also mentioned that many are aluminum, and not wood. I worked at Domino's for 6 years as a driver-trainer, and ran the ovens in one store for a year when I lost my driving privileges.

We used the metal ones at Domino's

I can still flip a pizza with 3 full revolutions, and it has been over 15 years. Some useless skill you never forget.

And Costco has had some really nice baking stuff over the years. it is usually season, near the holidays, so now may be a good time. They had a great deal maybe 2 years ago for 2 1/2 sheet pans, 2 cooling racks, and 2 plastic covers, for under $20, and I am still pissed off at myself for not getting them. They were heavy weight, and the cooling racks fit inside the pans, for draining fries or whatever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2006 11:24PM by Racer X.
Date: October 02, 2006 03:05AM
its my impression that teflon is for people that don't know their way around the kitchen too well.

BS, but you're entitled to your impressions.

Many very good cooks and bakers use non-stick (Teflon® isn't the only non-stick coating) pans.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

of evil men.

Posted by: 3d
Date: October 02, 2006 11:22AM
There's a restaurant supply store in the Chelsea Market on the Westside. All the way in the back. It might be worth a visit.

[www.bowerykitchens.com]

You might also want to bring your kitchen knives to have them professionally sharpened while you wait. There's a lady with a small booth in the back who'll sharpen your blades to ridiculous razor sharpness.

Good luck in your search.
Date: October 02, 2006 08:00PM
Oooh, thanks for that knife tip 3d. A lot of my knives have become dull lately.

trisho.
----------------
Date: October 02, 2006 10:22PM
if the knives are in a bag, then they are legally considered concealed weapons, so when you get on the subway, hold them in your hands if you want to stay legal.

I'm just trying to keep you out of jail.
Date: October 03, 2006 01:33AM
POMTL, Racer.

How 'bout carrying them in cross-your-heart bandoleers?

Slightly less threatening, while lifting and separating.

Urban chíc.

of evil men.

Date: October 03, 2006 03:57AM
Oh, and in many cities, blades over X inches are also illegal. Snap them into 2 or 3 pieces to stay legal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login