Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
External monitor not communicating
Posted by: dmag
Date: August 15, 2014 05:05PM
Hi,

I work with an MBP hooked up to an external Samsung monitor. Today, the external is not coming up. In fact, I'm getting nothing but a blinking power light.

Without the VGA connected, normally you get the little power save box floating around the screen. The Samsung is giving me nada.

I switched VGA connectors and that didn't work. To test the cords, I replaced the monitor to an old one, and it worked fine. But the Samsung is the preferred unit if I can get it working.

Have you seen this type of thing before?
Is there a reset for monitors?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: External monitor not communicating
Posted by: hal
Date: August 15, 2014 05:12PM
Restart while zapping the pram - perhaps the computer is asking for an improper resolution.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 15, 2014 05:13PM
dmag,

I had that happen to a display. It was the power supply. Not worth repairing since it was an old display and long out of warranty. That brings to mind... How old is the display and is it still under warranty?

I recently swapped my iMac for a Macbook Pro. I took a 10+ year old Dell 20" LCD display out of retirement to use in a dual monitor configuration. I used a Newer Technology dongle to allow me to connect its DVI connector to the mini-displayport input on the Macbook. End result? The display worked but proved pretty horrible in comparison to the display on the '08 imac. The resolution and brightness were near unbearable. It was a great display in its day but its good days are long gone.

I guess you could say that depending on the age, size and resolution of the display, it may not pay to try and repair it. I know if that old Dell display went down, it'd go to the recycling center. Once I repurposed the imac for another member of my team, I took his Dell 20" display and am now using it with the Macbook. It isn't quite as nice as the iMac display but it's a vast improvement over the other display.

Robert
Date: August 15, 2014 06:26PM
Hi Robert,

It's about 6-7 years old, but not a lot of mileage on it. I have been leaving the thing turned on because of losing it occasionally, and all was fine until my wife switched off the power strip last night. Now I can't get it back.

It's got a great picture and very bright...well, up until this morning smiling smiley

I slapped another old one on and it's okay...not as good...but working.

Thanks.

Robert M
dmag,

I had that happen to a display. It was the power supply. Not worth repairing since it was an old display and long out of warranty. That brings to mind... How old is the display and is it still under warranty?

I recently swapped my iMac for a Macbook Pro. I took a 10+ year old Dell 20" LCD display out of retirement to use in a dual monitor configuration. I used a Newer Technology dongle to allow me to connect its DVI connector to the mini-displayport input on the Macbook. End result? The display worked but proved pretty horrible in comparison to the display on the '08 imac. The resolution and brightness were near unbearable. It was a great display in its day but its good days are long gone.

I guess you could say that depending on the age, size and resolution of the display, it may not pay to try and repair it. I know if that old Dell display went down, it'd go to the recycling center. Once I repurposed the imac for another member of my team, I took his Dell 20" display and am now using it with the Macbook. It isn't quite as nice as the iMac display but it's a vast improvement over the other display.

Robert
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: August 15, 2014 06:45PM
Does the display have multiple inputs? Both VGA and DVI?

Did you try bringing up the on-screen controls to confirm that it was set to use the VGA port?
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: August 15, 2014 07:21PM
Capacitors.

The monitor was working while warmed up. It was allowed to cool down which let the capacitors finally give out.

Google the brand, model, and "capacitors" and see what you find.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: August 15, 2014 07:22PM
I had issue with my Samsung TV - it was turned on and unresponsive to the remote. I had to unplug it for it to respond. It was odd.
Date: August 15, 2014 07:34PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input. I just found another of the same model Samsung in a box I hadn't looked in for a long time. Bought the same day. It plugs in and works fine. Same cords, etc.

Looks like something just gave out on the other one. I'll contact Samsung support for anything they can do, but I'm guessing it goes the recycling route.

Much appreciated for the ideas.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 15, 2014 07:46PM
dmag

I have been leaving the thing turned on because of losing it occasionally, and all was fine until my wife switched off the power strip last night. Now I can't get it back.

]

That does sound like dried out/gassed caps symptoms.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018