advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Travel Insurance - Europe
Posted by: Buck
Date: August 21, 2014 02:20PM
A young adult (not me) wants advice on travel insurance, as in health insurance. He's going to travel Europe for up to a year. It's a just in case policy - accident or sickness. Anybody have experience?

Other items:
No VISA required, but I told him about the 6 month Schengen maximum, but he knows other Americans who had no trouble with that. Reminds me of my younger years...
He'll leave his iPhone behind, but will bring a Wifi iPad2. He's got plug adapters already.
For money, he'll use his ATM card.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2014 02:24PM by Buck.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Travel Insurance - Europe
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: August 21, 2014 03:15PM
I've used insuremytrip.com before--they offer hundreds of different plans with lots of reviews. I've never had to use the insurance, though. Make sure he reads the fine print and gets the coverage he wants. For example, when I got it, I had to make sure running with the bulls was explicitly covered. As for ATM card, make sure he has a backup. Consider opening a credit union account, one without large foreign access fees, and putting half his money in there. It's not uncommon to find yourself in a place where you local ATM card won't work for god only knows why. Finally, take pictures of everything, like his passport, and store them in the cloud (and keep a photocopy of his passport with him).
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 21, 2014 05:25PM
I'd do some research first.

When I traveled to iceland my girlfriend had to see the doctor. It was confusingly easy and cheap.

If he's interested in it because he might end up in intensive care, then it still might make sense. But for relatively minor problems I really wouldn't worry about it.

Posted by: space-time
Date: August 21, 2014 06:07PM
mattkime
I'd do some research first.

When I traveled to iceland my girlfriend had to see the doctor. It was confusingly easy and cheap.

that's how it is supposed to be. Europeans have much better health care than US. When I retire I move back to Europe.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 21, 2014 06:38PM
Buck
A young adult (not me) wants advice on travel insurance, as in health insurance. He's going to travel Europe for up to a year. It's a just in case policy - accident or sickness. Anybody have experience?

Have him check with his regular health insurance company first. They will generally cover the costs of overseas treatment. After doing that and establishing what coverage he's already got he should check out [www.insuremytrip.com] for the different kinds of coverage available.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 202
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020