advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"New for old" homeowner's insurance & computers - a question
Posted by: reezekeys
Date: August 24, 2014 01:24PM
We had a house fire a while back. My wife's old 15" Powerbook G4 was destroyed. We were told to replace it, which we did - with a brand new Retina MacBook Pro at $2000. As I understood it, we are entitled to replacement cost for a brand new "same" or "similar" item. The insurance company first depreciates what we've lost, then pays us the depreciated value (which ain't much for a Powerbook G4!). Once we replace it and furnish them with the receipt, they reimburse us the difference between the depreciated amount and what we paid. In the case of my wife's PB, we explicitly asked and got the OK to replace it with the Retina MBP. Our reasoning: it is the only 15" Mac laptop made now, and we got the cheapest configuration.

Now we're completing our inventory list and I'm looking at my old PowerMac 9500. Does anyone here even remember this old desktop model? :-) Applying the same logic as we did with the laptops, I could claim that the only desktop model close to a tower style Apple makes right now is the Mac Pro. It seems farfetched that I could replace a PowerMac 9500 with a Mac Pro but I'd be very curious to know if anyone here has been in this situation – some kind of insured loss where they had the "new for old" policy, and how it was handled v.a.v. older computers. Our inventory person put down a replacement value of $900 for the PM 9500 (hey it has a G3 upgrade card!), but I might need to up it to the current list price of a Mac Pro. TIA for any replies!

[ON EDIT] I just spoke to an insurance adjuster who told me that getting a Mac Pro to replace a PowerMac 9500 ain't gonna happen (which I guessed). Unfortunately the forum sw lets me edit but not delete a message (?) so I'm adding this addendum. Sorry for wasting space here!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 01:57PM by reezekeys.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "New for old" homeowner's insurance & computers - a question
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 24, 2014 01:59PM
You don't ask, you don't get.
Date: August 24, 2014 02:40PM
Oh I'll be asking – but insurance companies aren't that stupid – they stay in business by paying the least they can. I was told that they will go through the inventory list and will flag anything that looks a little extreme in terms of replacement costs. They will research prices too. Not on light bulbs or pens & pencils, but computers for sure. I will get something for that 9500 but probably not Mac Pro!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 24, 2014 02:44PM
Well, if you get $900 for a 9500, that'd be impressive and would pay for a mini. One of the appeals of the 9500 was internal expansion via 6 slots and the current MacPro has zero expansion, just like a mini.
Posted by: Black
Date: August 24, 2014 03:22PM
I would guess they have some sort of simple scale regarding older computer equipment with max values based on age, regardless of what it was.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: August 24, 2014 03:34PM
I guess I'll be finding this out soon. The ins. co. did say it was OK to replace the PBG4 with a Retina MBP - so go figure there. Unless they're gonna pull something down the road...
Posted by: mspace
Date: August 25, 2014 08:03AM
Sometimes you can get an equivalent model. Apple replaced a laptop that they messed up in repairs with the current "top of the line", since the one we had was of that category at the time we got it.

You might try that argument, especially since technology changes so fast. Worth a shot.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 25, 2014 09:25AM
reezekeys
[ON EDIT] I just spoke to an insurance adjuster who told me that getting a Mac Pro to replace a PowerMac 9500 ain't gonna happen (which I guessed). Unfortunately the forum sw lets me edit but not delete a message (?) so I'm adding this addendum. Sorry for wasting space here!

No need to delete your message (or apologize for "wasting space." Part of the value of the forum is its utility as a repository for 'previously answered questions.' Someone will want to know about insurance replacement for ancient desktop machines someday, and can find this discussion. smiling smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018