advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
LAX car rental suggestions
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: August 25, 2014 11:13AM
Renting an entry level car for a week out of LAX. We did this trip 10 years ago and Fox Rent-A-Car was fine and inexpensive. Now I read the reviews from as recently as this week and they are dismal-hours waiting to pick up and drop off the car. We can't afford that... so I'm thinking of canceling(if I can)and going with someone else.

I'm looking for lowest price for halfway decent service-just not a huge wait to pick up/drop off the car(booked/paid for in advance of course), especially since we'll be getting there after 9pm on a Sunday(midnight to us!) and reliable service to/from the actual airport. We can use a government and an AAA discount if that helps. Who do you like?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: LAX car rental suggestions
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 25, 2014 11:24AM
Try travel.yahoo.com. Usually has good prices. If you have a Costco card, rent through them, you often get amazing deals.
Date: August 25, 2014 11:33AM
Thanks. I don't have a Costco card... there are some good deals out there but I don't want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. I'll look at the Yahoo site at home later. I've read similarly awful reviews on other companies in the same area, so I'd love to find a place with happy customers. So far Alamo(big price difference but sounds worth it) or maybe Firefly or Payless are the ones with not-outrageous prices and fewer horrendous reviews.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: August 25, 2014 11:36AM
I always do a search for off site, too. Sometimes a twenty dollar cab ride can save you a ton.
Posted by: troywellbuilt
Date: August 25, 2014 12:06PM
I don't have experience with LAX, but I save a FORTUNE taking a cab or bus out of the San Francisco airport and renting at an in town location. None of those airport added fees.
Posted by: troywellbuilt
Date: August 25, 2014 12:06PM
and you can usually drop the car off at the airport for no add'l cost.
Posted by: polychrome
Date: August 25, 2014 12:29PM
I rented from Alamo a few times there in 2012 and 2013 and had no issues. The shuttles came around frequently enough. They have self-serve kiosks for quick check-ins and there wasn't a line every time I did it. Then you walk around the lot and choose the car you want. Drive to the exit and an agent there will process the rest of your paperwork while you're sitting in the car. That Alamo is opened 24 hrs. Think I used Costco to book those rentals.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 25, 2014 01:12PM
Try:

Kayak.com

Enterprise car rental

Search on local craigslist/ebay for Hertz coupons.
Posted by: ADent
Date: August 25, 2014 01:41PM
troywellbuilt
I don't have experience with LAX, but I save a FORTUNE taking a cab or bus out of the San Francisco airport and renting at an in town location. None of those airport added fees.

How many of those are open at 10pm on a Sunday?
Date: August 25, 2014 01:55PM
Yes, few places seem to be open at that hour unless they are associated with the airport, and then we would need to drop the car off pretty early on a Saturday morning... we are going to be pretty wiped and short on time(with an hour's drive ahead of us before we sleep). That's why I'm looking into paying more for a smoother experience...

So far I'm not seeing a ton of variation in price between Yahoo/Kayak. I actually have a few Hertz coupons but they are so expensive that it doesn't work out well.

Alamo is one of the few without horrible reviews-scary and maybe not all true, but I'm really afraid of a 2 hour wait at either end.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: August 25, 2014 02:09PM
I've rented a car a couple times recently in the LA area (Burbank to be exact) and checked pricing via numerous apps on my phone. In both cases the Hotwire app produced the best prices using a "reputable" company. Both times it came back with Alamo. Once it was for a tiny economy car and the other was for a mid sized SUV.

Short answer: Try the Hotwire site/app for LAX.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 25, 2014 02:27PM
When I saw the thread title, I was going to respond to STAY AWAY FROM FOX! But I see you already are.
Date: August 25, 2014 02:30PM
Thanks-they were fine 10 years ago but I see that they aren't now. I hope they answer the phone when I try to cancel-my first warning was trying to call them for 3 days and never getting an answer. A bit nervous about this part!

Hotwire has a bit of a better deal for Alamo, so I appreciate that.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 25, 2014 02:55PM
When I saw the headline I was going to say dont fly into LAX... but I guess its too late for that...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 25, 2014 02:57PM
Recipe,

Maybe create an account with Allied Business Network and see if they come up with solidprices for you:

[www.abnsave.com]

Or, if you are eligible, Studentrate.com may do the trick:

[studentrate.com]

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020