advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPad for A Senior?
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 25, 2014 12:52PM
My 80s mom's computer was struck by lightning (Dell something) and I am wondering if what she doesn't need now is just a used iPad.

She has not great vision and not great memory or trust of technology but I am thinking that with dark, bold, Sharpie arrows pointing to the home button it might work for her to do occasional web surfing or exchange virus and trojan laden e-mails with her class of 1947 e-mail pals.

I'd get her a case/stand and a keyboard, of course.

Suggestions? It's a hell of a nut to buy a new one on the chance she might use it. A used one ... might be the better plan.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPad for A Senior?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 25, 2014 01:10PM
Make sure you mark often visited site in Safari by Share>Add to home screen--The look like apps, but are simple bookmarks.

Also in Safari type in help.apple.com/ipad then Go--Go to the Share and Add to home screen---this is an interactive guide for the iPad that detects the version of the iOS and will display accordingly.

The same is good for the iPhone at help.apple.com/iphone
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 25, 2014 01:36PM
You could go with the last gen iPad, they have them at Costco for $380. Not cheap, but cheaper than new.

Watch deal sites and sales for the stand/case -- Ive seen them cheap lots of places -- especially if you go with an older model.

teamviewer would be smart, then you could take over an diagnose from afar.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 25, 2014 01:37PM
my mom stopped using her PC in deference to the iPad

Initially she didn't want to learn something new

She now has a ipad2 and a iPad mini
vision impaired a ipAd mini probably would not be a good choice

I bought her an AirPrint laser printer so she would stop emailing me stuff to print

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 25, 2014 01:40PM
Regarding the AirPrint Printer---If you want to drop Home BroadBand for iPad Cellular, HP printers now offer Wireless direct printing where you surf and email via Cellular but the printer is connected via Wifi Direct with no other network needed.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 25, 2014 01:44PM
According to Mrs. cbelt3, the number of folks in assisted living with iPads is astonishing. Go for lighter weight and a bouncy case. A keyboard may not be necessary. There will be any number of friends who already have them.. ask her if her friends use them. She may be itching to switch !
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 25, 2014 01:45PM
Shouldn't an iPad for Seniors be called an iDepends?
Posted by: MarkD
Date: August 25, 2014 01:46PM
I would urge you to try it out with you Mom. See how she reacts. Show her key places that she may use or find helpful--Maybe help her with an email to a friend. If you see the interest or spark, go from there.
Pluses are things like small local papers, larger type, games, pictures, camera email

I have had differing results. One relative, 80+ did pretty good with the ipad. Showed him the bigger type on Kindle, quick references, etc. Seems to enjoy and use the desktop we got him--but he had used desktop computers for a while. Another 75 + year old carries the ipad around everywhere, lots of pictures, email constantly. Another 80+ relative, never used computers, gets on but always needs the rescue. He'll read it and enjoy looking at items that are on screen, but just can't seem to get there himself.

I am looking for "cheat sheets" to help family members, but I think I will have to make 'em myself. Thanks for the ideas about the markers--you might even label or use paint pens to color code the ipad.

Please let us know how this turns out.
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 25, 2014 02:21PM
Looks like there is a black refurb on the Apple site ..

[store.apple.com]
Date: August 25, 2014 02:51PM
chopper

[store.apple.com]

Although the 3rd gen is OK, there was a HUGE speed bump -- and of course the retina screen -- when you move to the 4th gen model.

----

Posted by: LyleH
Date: August 25, 2014 03:49PM
I believe the iPad3 also has the retina screen - 2048 x 1536. LyleH
Posted by: DRR
Date: August 25, 2014 04:05PM
jdc
chopper

[store.apple.com]

Although the 3rd gen is OK, there was a HUGE speed bump -- and of course the retina screen -- when you move to the 4th gen model.

"iPad 3" had the retina as well.

For chopper's mom - I would be concerned with the visual design direction of iOS 7 and 8, for an 80 year old with aging eyes. Retina or not, all those thin, light fonts will not make reading any easier. That, plus, the retina displays encourages designers to make type smaller - because the type will hold better at smaller sizes due to the increased pixel density.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 25, 2014 04:10PM
No. As stated by others, small text. Also, clutzy fingers means cursor placement is very difficult as well as inadvertent finger touches. Get a large display and a mouse attached to a Mac.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 25, 2014 04:11PM
LyleH
I believe the iPad3 also has the retina screen - 2048 x 1536. LyleH

thanks for catching that. duh.

----

Date: August 25, 2014 04:25PM
pinch to zoom is pretty darn easy to do
it is also pretty darn easy to change text size especially if app makers use the dynamic type function

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: August 25, 2014 05:22PM
There are lots of good deals on the iPad Airs as they clear out inventory for the new model.

Keep an eye on the deal sites.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: August 25, 2014 07:10PM
I gave an iPad2 to my mom when she was 90 and an iPad mini to my MIL who is 88 and both did reasonably well with them as long as I limited them to email, the web, and maybe FaceTime [if others did the calling]. There is a big problem w/ holding the unit w/o touching the screen. My mom would often tell me that touching the screen icons did not work only to discover that she had her thumb down on the screen somewhere.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: August 25, 2014 07:51PM
If you are going to be there to help her day in and day out, and don't mind her being frustrated frequently, then go for an iPad, but I think the combination of a completely new interface, combined with typing on the virtual keyboard, and the possibility of tapping in the wrong spot, etc. will be more trouble than it's worth.

There are certainly some folks in their 80s who would have no trouble (my dad is 80, and can run circles around most people 20 years younger than him, technology-wise), but given her non-tech proficiency and her vision issues, and her presumably being into her 80s, I'm hedging my bets that she will get frustrated, and not be as happy with it.

I would *definitely* let her use an iPad for as much time as you possibly can to see if she "takes to it," and then decide which way to go.

(Perhaps some of this is colored by my other parent--my decidedly non-tech savvy mom. what she *does* understand, she is quite comfortable with, but anything new/outside of her comfort zone will befuddle her to no end.)

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: LyleH
Date: August 25, 2014 10:25PM
2.5 years ago, when we bought our first iPad, I realized that holding an iPad for any length of time was a real pain. So I made a triangular box out of cardboard/glue that our iPads sit on. The box has a lip at the bottom to keep the iPad in place. Most of the time we sit on a couch to use our iPads, and place a pillow in our lap. And the iPad/box sit on top of the pillow.

If I could figure out how to post a picture, I would. Three of us use my creations, and in addition to keeping the iPad at the correct angle for viewing the screen it keeps our hands from having to support the iPad, which greatly helps us from touching the screen by accident, as well as eliminating the fatigue factor from holding up the iPad.

Looking at a side view of the box, the bottom is 7.5”, the back is 6.5”, and the side the iPad rests on is 9.5”. These dimensions are important to keep the iPad surface at right angles to your vision. The width is a nominal 10.5” They are just constructed out of cardboard, and yet they have stood the test of time very well.

We always use our iPads in the landscape position, but they can be placed in the portrait position if desired.

I also put a hole in the upper back so we can stick our fingers in the hole, place our thumb on the iPad (with the cover closed) and safely pick up the iPad/stand to place it elsewhere.

Oh, I’m one of those 80-year-old guys - but some of us still have a few “smarts”. LyleH
Date: August 26, 2014 12:20PM

there's also one with that holds a keyboard in the bottom ahead of the slots
Posted by: Black
Date: August 26, 2014 12:51PM
I think it's a simple as selecting Spanish as the main language at setup.
You may want to find out if your Senor prefers American or Castillan Spanish.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018