Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone Own a Ford Flex
Posted by: steveroberts
Date: September 07, 2014 04:51PM
Friends,

After years of driving a Honda Odyssey, we're considering other options for the next family hauler.

We've seen some good deals on used Ford Flexs, but I don't know anyone personally who has ever owned one.

If you have owned or driven a Flex, I'd love to know your thoughts on driver satisfaction and particularly reliability.

Thanks.

SR
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone Own a Ford Flex
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: September 07, 2014 04:56PM
I rented one and drove it from Ohio to Illinois, down to St. Louis from Illinois, and then back to Ohio two summers ago. I thought it was very good looking, very comfortable, and had cool features. :-)

But that's about the limit of what I can tell you about it.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 07, 2014 05:04PM
Quite familiar, BFF and others have 'em. Decent cluck for the buck; you should be able to score a killer deal on a slightly used one... when new, the higher trim levels can take OTD price pretty high, a loaded SEL is probably your best bet if new. If lightly used, you can probably grab Limited/Platinum upgrades w/o the "new" penalty. Don't know how important Synch is for you, but older version had some issues w/ certain phones/carriers, and not sure what current status is, but probably worth checking out if it is a concern. Also, they're a bit wider than you think, so measure if you have a narrow garage. Good luck.
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 07, 2014 05:12PM
I rented one for work once (this was many years ago when I think they were new-ish). Traded with a co-worker for a proper minivan. Guess it's a good option if you don't want the stigma of a minivan, but when I want a minivan, I want a real minivan. The Flex I rented had "SUV" style three row seating (2+3+2) which I find annoying compared to a minivan's 2+2+3 since you have to flip up one of the 2nd row seats to get to the third. Whereas in a minivan, you can climb around if you don't want to move the seat.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 07, 2014 05:25PM
I have been eyeing the Flex for a while now, but it seems to have a low SAF for some reason. (Spousal Acceptance Factor).
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 07, 2014 05:37PM
I rented one in 2010. It was ok. Felt like I was driving a little special bus with the rows of seats up. It was black with black leather interior. Decent driver. Other than that, thats my only experience with them. None of my coworkers or friends have one. Most of my friends have a lambda series vehicle (GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse, Buick Enclave).
Posted by: JPK
Date: September 07, 2014 05:39PM
Looked at and drove a Flex. Had a tough time overcoming the outside styling (or lack thereof). Ford seems to be the go to these days and I think they are building better cars than Honda & Toyota.

We are on the verge of trading in our 06 Odyssey for a new Ford Explorer. Not apples to apples but it looks like the Explorer should meet all of our needs. Was thinking about AWD, but we got along without for so long with our Honda that we should be ok w/o it.

The Flex is the same platform as the Lincoln MKT.

Let us know how you end up.

JPK
Posted by: parsaplenty
Date: September 07, 2014 07:46PM
I agree with mikebw about the SAF. Wife didn't like it, although I do see a number of women behind the wheel. We wound up with an Explorer Limited. Very comfortable.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 07, 2014 10:10PM
Funny, I like the way they look, but very low SAF here too. She said she would divorce me?

Heard they have very comfy seats, might be important for a lot of long hauls.

I would miss the sliding doors myself -- I have a Mazda 5 and its great having the kids get out without having to worry about them slamming their doors into the car next to us...

If I were looking to move to a SUV type, I would look at an Exploder or even a Hyudai Sante Fe (the bigger one).

Although every SUV iI have seen seems to have paltry back seat leg room?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: September 08, 2014 01:52AM
I'm quite sure I recently read that Ford was going to discontinue the FLEX.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: September 08, 2014 10:07AM
Yes I own one and we like it a lot. We downsized from an Expedition but still needing some towing capability. We looked at and drove the Explorer but wife did not like it, especially the large forward blind spots created by the oversized A pillars.

I compared the specs of the Flex to the Explorer and they were close enough for my needs and asked the wife to look at one. She immediately said she did not like them as others have said here. I twisted her arm to at least test drive one.

That was all it took, she loved it from the inside, the 2nd row seat has gobs of legroom, the ride is very nice and the kids loved it too. We got a 2013 SEL with heated cloth seats as the wife hates leather.

The place to go to learn about the Flex is linked below.

[www.fordflex.net]

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 08, 2014 02:22PM
After driving Odysseys for years (we were in a 3 year trade-in cycle via a company lease), about five years or so back we tried out a few alternatives, all SUV types. I remember that the Flex was kind of cool but lacked the space/roominess we had grown accustomed to with the Odyssey.

LSS; we're driving a 2013 Odyssey these days, along with a 2009 Subaru Forester.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 365
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018