advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Watch, I think I get it
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 10, 2014 12:45PM
I realized a critical feature of the Apple Watch that I heard but did not understand until this morning.

The Apple Watch works with Apple Pay.

So what, you say?

It means that older iPhone owners who have iPhone 5, 5c and 5S models get to buy their way into the easy world of post-credit card payment by getting an Apple Watch.

Here's how I think the Apple Watch will land as a must-have:
1) It's a watch. As the smart phones have gotten bigger, getting them in and out of pockets or purses gets to be more of a pain. I was in the 'never look back and own a watch camp' before I got my Pebble. Now I use it all the time and every day.
2) It's an easy notification screen for texts and VIP emails.
3) It's easy payment. I just saved at least 5 minutes today by using the credit cad-only line for lunch. In a year, this will be the NFC-only line and checkout will be simply holding the smartphone - or Apple Watch! - in front of the reader.

All of the rest of the Apple Watch uses are extras, and good for niche markets. Fitness, Siri, etc - they will be used by some, but not everyone.

But the top three are all convenience factors for everyone, everyday.

Having a central place with my frequent sandwich club cards, gift cards, and credit cards all in one place - and literally accessible by the flick of a wrist - this is a big deal.

Convenience trumps everything in our modern world. Will everyone jump on the Apple Watch bandwagon right away? No - not every merchant will have the NFC system, etc.

But I can see a future where the Apple Watch - or its Android paralog - is soimething most current smart phone users own.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Watch, I think I get it
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 10, 2014 12:54PM
I've already stated over at AS that I am much more excited about Apple Pay than I am about the AppleWatch.

It's not clear to me that the AW will enable the use of Apple Pay with older variants of the iPhone.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2014 12:55PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 10, 2014 01:01PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I've already stated over at AS that I am much more excited about Apple Pay than I am about the AppleWatch.

It's not clear to me that the AW will enable the use of Apple Pay with older variants of the iPhone.

[9to5mac.com]

As you can see in the photo above from Apple’s website, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are listed as the two devices that are capable of doing Apple Pay payments by themselves. But the Apple Watch, which was also announced today, will apparently do the job even if you have the iPhone 5 or 5c. How? Apple says you “just double-click the button below the Digital Crown and hold the face of your Apple Watch near the contactless reader.”

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: tenders
Date: September 10, 2014 01:02PM
So who needs the Apple Watch?

1 - as a clock: already have; don't understand why people don't appreciate regular watches for just telling the time and looking good on a wrist

2 - agreed, some utility to this, but how much hassle is this convenience worth dealing with?

3 - an issue. I am not sure just swiping an Apple Watch across a payment device is going to cut it: somebody coaxes your Watch from your wrist, do they have your credit cards? So you're going to need the phone around anyway for security.

Then there is the problem of keeping it charged. My current electric watches go 18 months between battery changes, and my mechanical watches can go 36 hours between windings, which is more time than I go between showers. They are, for all intents and purposes, maintenance-free.

And I personally find the Apple Watch clunky-looking. I understand the appeal for some, but consider tenders a skeptic on the Watch's mass appeal.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 10, 2014 01:02PM
What I saw during the presentation, an on Apple's website was that the Apple Watch requires iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. Scant details on why, or what happens if you buy an Apple Watch without an iPhone 6.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: September 10, 2014 01:07PM
ztirffritz
What I saw during the presentation, an on Apple's website was that the Apple Watch requires iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. Scant details on why, or what happens if you buy an Apple Watch without an iPhone 6.

I also works with the 5, 5S, and 5C

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 10, 2014 01:09PM
ztirffritz

So it's not REALLY a $349, it's a $349+$299 device if you don't already have an iPhone 6...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: September 10, 2014 01:36PM
Paul F.
ztirffritz

So it's not REALLY a $349, it's a $349+$299 device if you don't already have an iPhone 6...

Or you already have a 5, 5S or 5C

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 10, 2014 01:41PM
rgG
Paul F.
ztirffritz

Not if I want to use ALL of the features of my new $349 accessory, apparently... Unless I'm misreading, of course.

It's out of my price range in any case....
Still want one, but think that the "planned obsolescence" railroading is getting a little heavy handed.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: decay
Date: September 10, 2014 01:44PM
You can't really think of it as just a watch, even though Apple has simply named it that.

It's like calling the iPhone a phone.
Or the Macbook Pro a typewriter.

It's a wrist-mounted mini-computer with wireless capability and contact-based communication.

It's not for everyone.
It's not priced for everyone.
It's not marketed for everyone.

Neither was the first iPod.
Neither is Google Glass.
In fact, very few high-end niche products are aimed at the masses.

Range Rover. Jaguar. Ferrari.
Just vehicles, right?
Overpriced, with features most of us don't need.

---
Date: September 10, 2014 01:46PM
Paul F.
rgG
Paul F.
ztirffritz

Not if I want to use ALL of the features of my new $349 accessory, apparently... Unless I'm misreading, of course.

It's out of my price range in any case....
Still want one, but think that the "planned obsolescence" railroading is getting a little heavy handed.

I think everything will work with the 5,S, C iPhones. ApplePay won't work on the 5 phones without the watch, like it will on the 6, but other than that, I think everything else should work. The watch is what enables the 5 phones to be able to use ApplePay, not the other way around.

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 10, 2014 02:03PM
sekker, you nailed it for me! I was exactly like you, not thinking I would ever get an Apple Watch, blah, blah, blah. Until --- Apple Pay!!! I'm the one in our family without an iPhone - Apple Pay - and Apple Pay alone will make me pay full price, $650 for an iPhone! I am in!! If, like me, you've had your credit card number (only the number!) stolen, especially while overseas, security and ease of payment trumps everything.

Credit unions, banks, stores - get on board with Apple Pay. This - this - will finally make me need an iPhone! Oh, and Apple Watch too.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2014 05:04PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: September 10, 2014 02:45PM
Only the iPhone 6 and Watch have the NFC chips to communicate with the pay terminals.

An iPhone 5.x will work with Apple Pay, but obviously requires the watch, and will use a different method of authentication than Touch ID for the models that lack it.

I think of all the announcements yesterday, Apple Pay is the dark horse that will have the best long term payoff, like the iTMS.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 10, 2014 02:59PM
"3 - an issue. I am not sure just swiping an Apple Watch across a payment device is going to cut it: somebody coaxes your Watch from your wrist, do they have your credit cards? So you're going to need the phone around anyway for security."

I believe the watch locks up as soon as it leaves your wrist.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: rz
Date: September 10, 2014 03:18PM
Ammo
"3 - an issue. I am not sure just swiping an Apple Watch across a payment device is going to cut it: somebody coaxes your Watch from your wrist, do they have your credit cards? So you're going to need the phone around anyway for security."

Uh, then the other person would put it on their wrist. Unless you're saying that it will only work on the "owner's" wrist.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 10, 2014 03:46PM
rz
Ammo

Uh, then the other person would put it on their wrist. Unless you're saying that it will only work on the "owner's" wrist.

It'll probably also work on the thief's wrist if they additionally steal your iPhone or drag your dead carcass close enough to enable the Watch.

But a Watch without corresponding iPhone (not the thief's iPhone ...) not so much.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 10, 2014 03:56PM
tenders
So who needs the Apple Watch?

1 - as a clock: already have; don't understand why people don't appreciate regular watches for just telling the time and looking good on a wrist

2 - agreed, some utility to this, but how much hassle is this convenience worth dealing with?

3 - an issue. I am not sure just swiping an Apple Watch across a payment device is going to cut it: somebody coaxes your Watch from your wrist, do they have your credit cards? So you're going to need the phone around anyway for security.

1 - I've now read "But I don't WEAR a watch" and "But I already HAVE a watch" as reasons for not understanding why another company now offers a watch.

2- My phone is constantly leaving and entering my pocket or often getting moved around, sitting on the restaurant table or whatever. It gets old. You already know your watch stays put, right?

3- As stated already, the Watch without matching iPhone isn't a security risk.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: September 10, 2014 08:51PM
deckeda
rz
Ammo

It'll probably also work on the thief's wrist if they additionally steal your iPhone or drag your dead carcass close enough to enable the Watch.

But a Watch without corresponding iPhone (not the thief's iPhone ...) not so much.

I read somewhere yesterday that you have to enter a code every time you first put it on. Sorry, I can't remember where. There was so much coverage yesterday.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 11, 2014 01:03AM

Uh, no.

Each time you put it on your wrist, you authorize it.

Oh, the pain and tedium!! No big deal, I say.

When it comes off your wrist it's reauthorized.

And you still have a wallet that someone might consider trying to steal.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: decay
Date: September 11, 2014 01:45PM

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 202
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020