advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
In wall oven problem
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 11, 2014 09:02AM
My house has an in wall double oven by Thermador. Unfortunately the digital display does not light up and I cannot control it in any way. I looked on the back of the control panel and there is a wire that isn't attached and there is a spot with broken and bent pins which is where I assume it used to go. So I am wondering Is the thermador brand any good? There is very little on google about it. Where can I find the model number? I have a repairman coming on the 22nd but I want to educate myself as I think the repair might be very expensive.

I need to determine at what price point do I say forget it and just buy a new one. This particular one is black so it has a low wife acceptance factor and might need replacing in the future (please be distant) anyway.

Thanks for any advice.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: In wall oven problem
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 11, 2014 09:13AM
Dave,

How old is the wall oven? My parents have a Thermador double wall oven and it cannot be replaced with a current model. The standard size of wall ovens from all of the manufacturers has changed and nothing fits in the space. They've have to make significant modifications to the cabinetry for anything to fit in the area designated for the oven. I'm hoping you can either fix the one you have or, if not, a replacement will fit without a problem.

Robert
Posted by: Spiff
Date: September 11, 2014 09:15AM
All I know is that Thermador has been around for at least 30yrs, if not longer. That's all my mom has ever used or wanted in her kitchen. The ovens we had lasted 20 years. And there was nothing wrong with the one she took out, but she was updating her entire kitchen, so in went a new one. That's all I know - personal experience type thing...
Date: September 11, 2014 09:56AM
The ovens I have are black which makes me think they are somewhat older as stainless seems the style now. The control panel is digital though so it isn't ancient. Not sure where that places it age wise. Any idea where I could find a model number? I'm not seeing anything obvious. Thanks for the help.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 11, 2014 10:00AM
davemchine
The ovens I have are black which makes me think they are somewhat older as stainless seems the style now. The control panel is digital though so it isn't ancient. Not sure where that places it age wise. Any idea where I could find a model number? I'm not seeing anything obvious. Thanks for the help.

Can't you browse the manuals at the Thermador website? Pretty sure those'll tell you where the model number is.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: September 11, 2014 10:05AM
The model number is typically stamped on a little plate you can see only when the door is open. If it’s not there, does it look like it used to be there?

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 11, 2014 11:14AM
[www.thermador.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: vicrock
Date: September 11, 2014 12:13PM
More than likely it is a computer board. We had a double Thermador that was reapaired 3 times - twice under warranty and the third time on our dime to the tune of $800. We just replaced it. This is a known problem - when you use the self clean, the oven gets hot enough to fry the board.
Date: September 11, 2014 02:43PM
Well hot dignity. I forgot that part of the house purchase agreement was an insurance policy that covers appliances! I called them today and a repairman is coming saturday. My cost will be $75.

I also need to repair the ice maker in the refrigerator so I'm calling them back to schedule that as well.

I am super happy that I can avoid a big bill right now.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: September 14, 2014 05:37PM
A suggestion for people who don't have handy home repair policies: most cities have nonprofit salvage yards that sell building materials, windows, doors, plumbing fixtures, appliances, etc. that have been removed from rehabs. The salvaged materials are in good condition and sell for much less than retail. Baltimore has three: Second Chance (pricey), the Loading Dock (cheap) and ReStore (even cheaper). Check in these places for architectural detail too. A few years ago ReStore had at least 20 Kitchenaid wall ovens that had been removed from a senior housing development. They all looked like new and were 50 bucks apiece.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020