advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Viking Adrian Peterson may be in more trouble than Ray Rice
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 12, 2014 05:35PM
You would think he would know better after his son was murdered by an abuser.

[www.cbsnews.com]

"Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has been indicted in Texas for "reckless or negligent injury to a child," CBS Minneapolis reported. The indictment was made in Montgomery County, Texas.

Peterson is expected to turn himself in, according to FoxSports.com. Peterson missed practice on Thursday, an absence that Vikings coach Mike Zimmer described as a normal day off for the 29-year-old, Zimmer said.

Ian Rapoport, a reporter with the NFL Network, tweeted that the charge stems from an incident in which Peterson disciplined his son with a branch."

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2014 05:50PM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Viking Adrian Peterson may be in more trouble than Ray Rice
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 12, 2014 05:51PM
Peterson hadn't even met his 2 year old son in North Dakota before he was murdered. I believe he has 2 others, but isn't married to the mothers of any of his kids.

I don't think he is repentant, though. This from Minneapolis StarTribune:

""This was posted on Adrian Peterson’s verified Twitter account at 12:32 p.m. as a ‘TwitPic InstaQuote’ in all caps:

“People understand that if you are on God’s course and suppose to have that position and man decides to remove you know that God will remove everyone to place you rightfully! You matter! Its your season! Weapons may form but won’t prosper! God has you covered don’t stress or worry!” @voicesofthkingd @votkingdom""

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 12, 2014 06:08PM
I have politically confused mixed feelings on this. when I grew up I knew I was in big trouble when my mama told me to go out and cut her a switch. I was about to be whooped. those are the marks the switch made. many tears were shed and I learned my lessons. I am none the worse for wear for it.

nowadays my mom's method of disciplining is considered child abuse. I don't consider it such though I recognize that's how the modern view sees it and for mostly that reason, perception, it's not how I chose to ever punish my son.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 12, 2014 06:17PM
graylocks
I am none the worse for wear for it.

And you know this how? It is quite likely you would have turned out exactly the same without the whipping. Different era, though.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 12, 2014 07:44PM
Speedy
graylocks

And you know this how? It is quite likely you would have turned out exactly the same without the whipping. Different era, though.

I was raised the same way and I feel the same. It was rare though because I was a very good boy. Now my sister...
Posted by: bik
Date: September 12, 2014 09:00PM
Like Greylocks, Peterson has said he was raised by parents who used a switch. I was raised in a house with a razor strop.

It's a different time, but a parent choosing to discipline his child the same way he was raised is somewhat different than the animal we saw in the elevator (Ray Rice).

Interestingly, Texas is a state the still allows corporal punishment in public schools.
Any Texans with perspective on how often it actually happens?
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 12, 2014 09:10PM
I too was reared by a "whipping" mom. She would make me go get the belt, her preferred device, that I was to be whipped with, but a switch would do in a pinch. After I figured out that a wide belt hurt less, I would be sent back to get a thinner one. sad smiley

I decided a long time ago that I would never whip my child, and I never did. I think there are better ways to discipline a child than hitting them. How to you teach a child not to fight or hit someone else, if you, their role model, hit the child.

I don't feel like I was overly scarred by the discipline, it was a different time, but I remember, even as a child, thinking that it wasn't the right thing to do, and I do remember, and not fondly, those discipline sessions. While she always said, "this hurts me, more than it does you," I always thought she could have come up with a better idea, just sayin'.

Edit: paddling was also still allowed when I was in school. I think it was more humiliating than painful, except for those teachers who bored holes in the paddles, to make them hurt more. :O

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2014 09:13PM by rgG.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 12, 2014 10:10PM
Roger Goodell is probably asking to be sedated at this point.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 12, 2014 10:31PM
Goodell is part of the problem, it's owners like Bob Kraft who are reaching for the hemlock.
Date: September 12, 2014 11:50PM
Parental rights arguments will be inevitable but it looks like the Vikings have deemed this a serious issue. Vikings have deactivated him for this week's game.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: September 12, 2014 11:59PM
Prosecutors have released photos of the damage. This is a temper unleashed not behavior correction, this is criminal abuse.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 12:04AM by RgrF.
Date: September 13, 2014 12:59AM
RgrF
Prosecutors have released photos of the damage. This is a temper unleashed not behavior correction, this is criminal abuse.

Thanks judge and jury.
Have you seen executioner?
Date: September 13, 2014 02:55AM
That Texas Grand Jury thought so. You really have to work at it for a Texas prosecutor/jury to give a rats ass about family abuse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 02:58AM by RgrF.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: September 13, 2014 04:40AM
bik
It's a different time, but a parent choosing to discipline his child the same way he was raised is somewhat different than the animal we saw in the elevator (Ray Rice).

I'm going to whole heartedly disagree, at least an adult has a chance to fight back. That's a young child that was being allegedly abused. An adult has a change to change the circumstance that leads them to live with an abuser, no matter how hard that might be. A child is helpless.
Date: September 13, 2014 04:44AM
Even back in the "old days", routine spanking wasn't really appropriate. Not everyone did it. My paternal grandmother never spanked, but my grandfather did. My maternal side was the same way, my mom's dad was an abusive jerk, but her mom did the best she could without being a gigantic bully. I was rarely hit by my parents. Two spankings is all I can remember. I'm sure I had hands lightly wrapped and such, but there are better ways to teach/scold.

I've lightly "spanked" my daughter, but rarely. Mostly to have her stop hitting/throwing/scratching herself/others. Kind of a if you think it is okay hit, what if I were to take the same tact type of thing. There's always degrees, but you don't leave marks like that on your child. That clearly crossed the line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 07:23AM by silvarios.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: September 13, 2014 07:16AM
A six foot, one inch, 217-pound professional athlete beat a four-year-old boy bloody. I can't think of a justification for this.
Date: September 13, 2014 07:21AM
One of Peterson's biological sons was beaten to death by the boyfriend of the mother. Doesn't appear that it made Peterson averse to physical discipline for his other kids.
Here is a link to the story about the death of the other son. [www.cnn.com]

Seeing as Goodell fumbled the Rice situation and then came back with the discipline sledge hammer, I don't see Peterson getting out of this with less than a 6 game suspension at minimum.

Date: September 13, 2014 07:23AM
pRICE cUBE
Seeing as Goodell fumbled the Rice situation and then came back with the discipline sledge hammer, I don't see Peterson getting out of this with less than a 6 game suspension at minimum.

It would depend on a successful conviction, no? Peterson hasn't been convicted yet.
Date: September 13, 2014 08:06AM
silvarios
pRICE cUBE

It would depend on a successful conviction, no? Peterson hasn't been convicted yet.

Ray Rice wasn't convicted of anything.
Date: September 13, 2014 08:22AM
bik
silvarios
pRICE cUBE

Ray Rice entered pre-trial intervention in order to avoid a felony.

The NFL commissioner has the power to increase punishments if he deems it in the leagues best interest. That is why he has suspended Rice indefinitely. There would have been massive protests and advertiser issues if he had let Rice back on the field after 2 games after the video of him punching out his wife went public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 08:35AM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: September 13, 2014 08:33AM
silvarios
pRICE cUBE

NFL policy is domestic incidents may not solely determined by court convictions. A players admissions or other indisputable evidence must also be determining factors since Rice was able to avoid 3rd degree felony assault by entering that domestic abuse abatement program. Once the video inside got out, Goodell decided to be tough sheriff and exact a tougher penalty. I haven't seen the NFLPA tell Goodell he is off base on the Rice case yet.

Looks like in this case, Peterson is pretty open in discussing with a grand jury that he did this to his son. That was enough for the Vikings to act and deactivate him for this week. This all gets more complicated as 2 players who are alleged domestic abuse will play this week. It is a fine mess.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 13, 2014 10:36AM
This may sound sanctimoneous, but I think there's a chance of being distracted from the most important issue (child abuse) by the lesser issue of whether either of these guys will play football this week. I include myself in this group.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 10:37AM by Ammo.
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 13, 2014 11:00AM
No one gives better parental advice than the child-less.
Date: September 13, 2014 11:02AM
Ammo
This may sound sanctimoneous, but I think there's a chance of being distracted from the most important issue (child abuse) by the lesser issue of whether either of these guys will play football this week. I include myself in this group.

If these guys weren't players in the most popular sports in the US then it would be less likely we would be having the broader discussion. Maybe this will be a step in the right direction against domestic and child abuse.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 13, 2014 12:09PM
pRICE cUBE
Ammo

If these guys weren't players in the most popular sports in the US then it would be less likely we would be having the broader discussion. Maybe this will be a step in the right direction against domestic and child abuse.

I agree it's another opening to discuss a serious topic, not that we should need one. It sends a terrible message when high profile people who are worshiped by many get away with this kind of stuff.
It's their removal from football that will get people's attention.
The NFL has a good opportunity here to do the right thing, I hope they take it. That means the other men playing now who have domestic violence convictions need to be removed from the game, tape or no tape.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 13, 2014 12:13PM
My parents never beat us with belts or switches, but they did spank us. I question whether anyone who feels that being manhandled by an adult didn't harm them at all is correct about that assumption.

In my case, it damaged my relationship wirh my father pretty much for life. And his punishments were nowhere near as extreme as what Peterson did to that small boy.

How is it OK for a bulked up jock to whip a four-year-old child hard enough to leave bleeding welts? What could that kid possibly have done to deserve being flogged?

This sickens me, and I don't even like kids.
Date: September 13, 2014 01:02PM
I agree with ka jowct above. (well except I do like kids... )

And this Peterson story only gets worse:

Nick Wright, host of CBS sports radio station 610 in Houston and one of the first reporters to break the Peterson story, said that he's read an account of what Peterson's 4-year-old son told police and described his story as "a heartbreaking story" on "CBS This Morning: Saturday."

"He mentions his reluctance to want to talk to police because 'Daddy Peterson might hit me,'" said Wright. "He references being hit in the face."

Wright also said that, according to the mother's statement to police, the boy told her that "Daddy has a whooping room."

"The child's story is truly, truly troubling, disturbing and sad is the best way I can put it," Wright said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 01:02PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 13, 2014 03:13PM

nowadays my mom's method of disciplining is considered child abuse. I don't consider it such though I recognize that's how the modern view sees it and for mostly that reason, perception, it's not how I chose to ever punish my son.

When I growing up, it was a razor 'strap'.

Corporal punishment, even in the least severe form, spanking, has fallen from favor in a politically correct society. I see a value in it though it can easily be abused. More often than not it's administered out of frustration rather than a structured progression of discipline.

I see value in it, but abuse must be avoided.

The line needs to be drawn between discipline and child abuse. A large problem as I see it is that many see any and all forms of discipline as child abuse. I haven't looked at the pics and so have not judged.

But I will say that I find it troubling that many people seem to think the size and profession of an alleged abuser should have any impact whatsoever on whether or not he's guilty of a crime. Child abuse and other heinous crimes have been committed upon others by people of far less physical prowess and size.

Judging his actions based on his profession is ridiculous and biased. This is a half-step away from convicting him as a child abuser because he's black.

What we need to focus on is evidence of criminal acts, and act accordingly.

Whether it's spousal abuse or child abuse, it will continue long after these high profile incidents are forgotten. I have no indication that this is the NFL's fault or problem. But they are in a position to keep awareness of the problem alive.

It's in there own best interests not to, but I hope that they're bigger than that.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 13, 2014 05:36PM
chopper

Well, I have a child, am I qualified to offer advice?
Posted by: Bill in NC
once he completes the diversionary program Rice has nothing more to fear in that way of criminal charges.

then either the team or the NFL will have to settle with him over the remainder of the $40 million contract they chose to unilaterally void.

pRICE cUBE
silvarios
pRICE cUBE

NFL policy is domestic incidents may not solely determined by court convictions. A players admissions or other indisputable evidence must also be determining factors since Rice was able to avoid 3rd degree felony assault by entering that domestic abuse abatement program. Once the video inside got out, Goodell decided to be tough sheriff and exact a tougher penalty. I haven't seen the NFLPA tell Goodell he is off base on the Rice case yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 05:41PM by Bill in NC.
bik

Didn't he plead down. A plea doesn't count now?
Date: September 13, 2014 05:38PM
RAMd®d
Judging his actions based on his profession is ridiculous and biased. This is a half-step away from convicting him as a child abuser because he's black.

Yes, it is probably silly to judge/convict based on profession, but that is not anywhere close to being the same as convicting on race.
Date: September 13, 2014 05:45PM
silvarios
bik

he was offered and accepted a 12-month pretrial intervention, which is common for first offenders. So as long as he completes the requirements, which are like probation, his record will be clean by May 2015. So no, no felony conviction for aggravated assault will be on his record.
Date: September 13, 2014 05:48PM

the team or the NFL will have to settle with him over the remainder of the $40 million contract they chose to unilaterally void.

from what I understand NFL contracts are very much one-sided to the League, they can stop paying you pretty much anytime and that's it. Not like MLB contracts.
Date: September 13, 2014 07:00PM
Lemon Drop
silvarios
bik

he was offered and accepted a 12-month pretrial intervention, which is common for first offenders. So as long as he completes the requirements, which are like probation, his record will be clean by May 2015. So no, no felony conviction for aggravated assault will be on his record.

Yes, but already went through the legal process. Peterson just started. Note, I never mentioned a felony conviction of anything.
Date: September 13, 2014 07:06PM
Lemon Drop

the team or the NFL will have to settle with him over the remainder of the $40 million contract they chose to unilaterally void.

from what I understand NFL contracts are very much one-sided to the League, they can stop paying you pretty much anytime and that's it. Not like MLB contracts.

Sort of. There's signing bonuses and things that are likely guaranteed, but maybe not if the contract was voided with cause. I think even in MLB, the Yankees were looking to void A-Rod's contract after he was popped for PEDs, again. Also, there's generally a cap hit associated with releasing players.
Date: September 13, 2014 07:41PM
NFL signing bonuses can be ripped from players under certain conditions. The New England Patriots are in the process of suing Aaron Hernandez to retrieve the signing bonus.

Rice plead down to avoid felony charges, New Jersey law allows certain conditions to enter a pre trial intervention program. He will not se further prosecution for punching out his now wife, no double jeopardy. The NFL with Roger Goodell at the helm has the power to punish him further beyond current policies with the "in the best interest of the league". Before the Rice case, Goodell was seen as a unforgiving disciplinarian. After the backlash of the Rice case, he increased domestic abuse penalties. I don't believe he will ever be lenient on any discipline from now on. Fair or not, he has a business to protect and will probably not let a few players stand in his way.

I have never brought up race in these discussions. I am of the firm belief that people are capable of doing good and bad no matter what the color of skin is. What makes these cases high profile is the NFL being the most watched and profitable sports business in the US.

Date: September 13, 2014 07:57PM
pRICE cUBE
I have never brought up race in these discussions. I am of the firm belief that people are capable of doing good and bad no matter what the color of skin is. What makes these cases high profile is the NFL being the most watched and profitable sports business in the US.

Yeah, not sure where RAM was going with the comment.
Date: September 13, 2014 08:04PM
I admit I have an anti-Texas bias when it comes to law enforcement and societal attitudes so it came as a surprise to me that a Texas prosecutor would get involved in what I think many Texans consider "family matters".

Seems it was not a Texas doctor but a Minnesota physician who reported the abuse, so I guess my biases remain intact.

Twin Cities Star/Trib

The article goes on to hope that, as awful as this seems, the high profile nature of this case leads to sorting out what they call "inter generational confusion"; that it leads to a consensus of what is and is not permissible parental behavior in society today.

I agree and hope it does lead to that sort of general understanding and agreement of what is acceptable and what is not. The only parenting guide many people have and the one these folks rely on is what they recall from their own childhood. This could be the beginning of change for them and their children, that would be a wonderful outcome for everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2014 02:54AM by RgrF.
Date: September 13, 2014 08:18PM
This is from Roger's link:
Darnell Dockett, a defensive end for the Arizona Cardinals, recalled a “whippn at 5 with a switch that’s lasted about 40mins and couldn’t sit for 2days. It’s was all love though.” He added: “Times have changed!”

People need to stop saying crap like this. I'm sure it's hyperbole because a 40 minute "whipping" would seriously injure or even kill a five year old. But some jerk will read this and think - OKay, what I'm doing must be fine because some NFL player says it's what his family did and "it was all love."

People that is nothing resembling love. It's ignorance at best, out of control violence against small children at worst.
Date: September 13, 2014 08:23PM
If anyone wants to delve further into the NFL's policies and the teams' policies about cutting players due to personal conduct issues, and the Ray Rice case, this is a very good rundown of the key issues:
[www.si.com]
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 13, 2014 09:35PM
Lemon Drop
People that is nothing resembling love. It's ignorance at best, out of control violence against small children at worst.

you have strong feelings about this. many of us do. you will probably choose to believe i am in denial but it was love from my mom; she was not ignorant and neither am i. yes, some parents did/do take it too far and cross a line into abuse. i do think we need to err on the side of caution and move away from whipping discipline but i understand where parents raised in that tradition are coming from and do not condemn them wholesale.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2014 12:40AM by graylocks.
Date: September 14, 2014 01:34AM
graylocks,
Whatever your past history, clearly this specific case seems a bit extreme, no?
Date: September 14, 2014 03:00AM
chopper

What sort of non sequitur is this?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 14, 2014 09:07AM
"NFL extending Rice’s suspension to 'indefinite' is likely lawful under the personal conduct policy so long as the league was not aware of the elevator video."

But there are an increasing number of rumors that the NFL did know about the 'inside the elevator' video, but chose to soften the penalty because at that time only the 'aftermath' video was publicly available (& probably a lot of pressure from the team's owner)

With $10 million remaining on his contract Rice will not have any trouble finding an attorney willing to work on contingency.

The NFL absolutely does not want to have anyone on their staff asked "exactly when did you become aware of the inside the elevator video" under oath, in open court.

It's less damaging to the team & the NFL to pay a few million in a confidential settlement to have Rice go away, permanently.

Lemon Drop
If anyone wants to delve further into the NFL's policies and the teams' policies about cutting players due to personal conduct issues, and the Ray Rice case, this is a very good rundown of the key issues:
[www.si.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2014 09:07AM by Bill in NC.
Date: September 14, 2014 09:28AM
Bill in NC
"NFL extending Rice’s suspension to 'indefinite' is likely lawful under the personal conduct policy so long as the league was not aware of the elevator video."

But there are an increasing number of rumors that the NFL did know about the 'inside the elevator' video, but chose to soften the penalty because at that time only the 'aftermath' video was publicly available (& probably a lot of pressure from the team's owner)

With $10 million remaining on his contract Rice will not have any trouble finding an attorney willing to work on contingency.

The NFL absolutely does not want to have anyone on their staff asked "exactly when did you become aware of the inside the elevator video" under oath, in open court.

It's less damaging to the team & the NFL to pay a few million in a confidential settlement to have Rice go away, permanently.

Lemon Drop
[www.si.com]

I could see that happening if in fact it's proven that the NFL had the other tape earlier. But if that's true, more people than just Rice need to get fired.
Date: September 14, 2014 09:33AM
graylocks
Lemon Drop

you have strong feelings about this. many of us do. you will probably choose to believe i am in denial but it was love from my mom; she was not ignorant and neither am i. yes, some parents did/do take it too far and cross a line into abuse. i do think we need to err on the side of caution and move away from whipping discipline but i understand where parents raised in that tradition are coming from and do not condemn them wholesale.

No I definitely don't think you're in denial about anything and I know you're a great parent...that's not at issue here. People of your (our) Mom's generation did not in fact know what we know about the harm done by corporal punishment. I think that referring to the practice as "tradition" is harmful and should be avoided. Plenty of terrible things have been labeled "tradition" as an excuse to continue, even after everyone knew (or should have known) better.

Yes it's possible (and highly preferable) to raise emotionally healthy, respectful, well-mannered children without ever striking them. I've done it myself. Parents who don't understand this should take some classes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020