advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Must have 5.8GB of free space on iPad to update to iOS 8
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 19, 2014 10:10AM
Wow, that is a lot of free space to ask for, if you only have a 16GB iPad 4, like I do.
Apparently the OS doesn't hog that much all the time, but you have to have that much free space to actually DO the install.
I cleared out some, a lot, of free apps that I can DL again, emptied all the trash in Mail, but still, that is a lot of free space to ask for.
I did my iTunes backup and am DLing the update now. Hopefully I will install soon, well over an hour from now, according to the progress bar.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Must have 5.8GB of free space on iPad to update to iOS 8
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 19, 2014 10:13AM
My iPad said the same thing so I hooked it up to my Mac mini. No need to delete anything.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: September 19, 2014 10:18AM
pRICE cUBE
My iPad said the same thing so I hooked it up to my Mac mini. No need to delete anything.

Well damn. If I had known that it would have saved a lot of trouble. I was trying to clean up the iPad BEFORE I connected it to the MBA. I had no idea that it would be different if it was going through iTunes for the install. I guess it makes sense, but it did not occur to me. facepalm

Posted by: testcase
Date: September 19, 2014 10:40AM
Another good reason to NOT buy the basic 16GB model. boink smiley
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: September 19, 2014 11:01AM
I deleted iBooks, which freed up a lot of space, and then restored it after I was done installing iOS 8. Worked a treat.
Date: September 19, 2014 11:40AM
testcase

This was a freebie, so 16GB of free is better than paying for more. grinning smiley

Date: September 19, 2014 11:43AM
Gutenberg
I deleted iBooks, which freed up a lot of space, and then restored it after I was done installing iOS 8. Worked a treat.

Yeah, I thought about doing that, but wasn't sure about the restore, so I just dropped other apps instead.
Now that I know about hooking up to iTunes gets rid of the problem, I will hopefully remember to just do that next time.
All updated now on both pad and phonegrinning smiley

Posted by: goodmanx
Date: September 19, 2014 11:58AM
gutenberg--dropped ibooks, eh? kinda funny, that . . . .
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 19, 2014 12:55PM
testcase

More like a good reason for them to not even sell a 16 GB model.

Seriously, why is there still a 16 GB model?

They shold be phasing out the 32 by now and offering a line of 64/128/256 models by now.

old fogey smiley
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 19, 2014 02:29PM
Well...I know there are a bunch of folks on this forum who would disagree. When I was seeking advice on an iPad purchase for my parents earlier this year, a consensus assured me that 16GB would be plenty of them. I ended up following that advice, and it has been fine for them so far, but I don't have them loaded up with a deep selection of apps.

The minimum I can see myself getting by with is 32GB, and that's what I have. I'd prefer 64, but I just couldn't stomach adding another $100 when it doesn't functionally make it a better device. I figure it might be easier to pass down to the kids if I want to upgrade in a couple years.

I agree that Apple shouldn't offer a 16GB. They should start at 32. But it helps them hit a price point while squeezing and extra $100 out of those it's important to.
Date: September 19, 2014 02:44PM
The 16GB is fine for me, as far as storage. I had 4+GB of storage, when I went to upgrade, but it needed the 5.8. If Apple is going to routinely use over a third of the available storage for updates, then they do need to make the base model at least a third bigger. It is not fair that you would only have about 10GB of storage, without having to remove stuff, just to leave room to update the OS, when it needs it.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 19, 2014 02:52PM
I think a 16 GB iPad Air at $500 is more about increasing AAPL's margins than maintaining a price point.

The 16 GB should be a cheap-o model if it's offered at all.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 19, 2014 05:08PM
But those 32 GB chips are massive. Ever see how big a 32 GB microSD card is compared to a 16 GB? And the cost difference...

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 19, 2014 07:50PM
16GB is small...

I paid a lot of $$ for the high-end original iPhone. It came with....

(drumroll please)

8 GB.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 20, 2014 08:59AM
rgG
pRICE cUBE

Well damn. If I had known that it would have saved a lot of trouble. I was trying to clean up the iPad BEFORE I connected it to the MBA. I had no idea that it would be different if it was going through iTunes for the install. I guess it makes sense, but it did not occur to me. facepalm

Glad to be of late help

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020