advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
IOS 8 on an iPhone 4s... I should not have done that. I should NOT have done that...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 22, 2014 07:44AM
Lesson learned.. NEVER update iOS on a device that juuuust barely supports it. At least not until the next fractional update shows up. I HAD thought.. well, all the apps are updating, guess I had better do it.

Sluggish and buggy.
The update process was agonizingly painful, Had to restore da phone from a backup.
Some apps totally crash. Even the ones that updated .
Worst offender... FarceBook... completely crashed the phone, and I had to reset it (Power/Home). WTHeck ?

Lesson learned. Don't repeat my mistake !

FWIW.. I DO like the predictive text thing. Very android, but useful. Autocorrect always drove me bonkers. This.. less so.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: IOS 8 on an iPhone 4s... I should not have done that. I should NOT have done that...
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 22, 2014 08:02AM
I did it intentionally because I need a phone with more capacity. My phone is virtually useless now so I should be able to replace it.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Re: IOS 8 on an iPhone 4s... I should not have done that. I should NOT have done that...
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 22, 2014 08:02AM
Hey wow! I was just about to ask about updating my 4S. Thanks for taking one for the team.

Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: September 22, 2014 08:26AM
I take it you guys don't read ArsTechnica?

iOS 8 on the iPhone 4S: Performance isn’t the (only) problem
[arstechnica.com]

Jeff
Date: September 22, 2014 08:31AM
The latest issue ?

ALL MY FARGING MUSIC IS GONE except what I bought from iTunes. Despite the darn thing being on Synch with my mini all day Sunday to get all the tunes I ripped over the years. Sigh... at least my mini still has all my music (and it's backed up).

Guess I have to rebuild the damn thing again tomorrow. For today.. I listen to "War".... Slow... ride..r...
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 22, 2014 08:36AM
Time to let that phone go my friend. She served you well and now she wants to rest. Raquel Welch is waiting for you. All 4.7 inches of her. 5.5 if you're a real man. Go run your moist fingers down her slippery spine.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 22, 2014 08:42AM
Works fine on my iPad but the phone is almost useless.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 22, 2014 08:51AM
iPhone 4s with OS 6 is a fully functional phone. The icons and etc are actually easier to read ...
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 22, 2014 08:55AM
Have you tried a complete "Factory" Reset? Without ANY "extra" installed Apps, see if an absolute "Base" system will be reasonably functional. Maybe you'll get lucky. If so, then be really careful and only add one App at a time. Yes, it's a pain and, will take a lot of time. Otherwise, you're roped into a forced hardware upgrade.

This is basically what happened to me last years when iOS7 hosed my iPhone4. That's why, even with a 5s, I'm holding off on iOS8. sad smiley angry villagers smiley
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 22, 2014 09:06AM
There "has" to be some kind way to wind back to an earlier OS.
Date: September 22, 2014 09:51AM
Gonna try to downgrade tonight. iOS 7.1.2 is still 'digitally signed'....
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 22, 2014 09:54AM
Instead of upgrading the OS on my 4s, I'm going to pass the time watching the 5s prices fall on swappa and ebay.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: September 22, 2014 10:12AM
vision63

Here ya go
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 22, 2014 10:13AM
vision63

I wish Apple would allow this all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 10:15AM by space-time.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: September 22, 2014 11:23AM
I wish I could easily go back to iOS 6 on my 4s.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 22, 2014 11:27AM
we should start a petition
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 22, 2014 11:51AM
space-time
we should start a petition

LOL. Yeah, since Apple always responds really well to public pressure. smiley-laughing001

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: decay
Date: September 22, 2014 01:20PM
I did my 5S, and while some features are nice, I'm pissed that Apple, FOR NO GOOD REASON, removed the "all photos" roll from my Photos app.

---
Posted by: thermarest
Date: September 22, 2014 02:04PM
kj4btkljv
I take it you guys don't read ArsTechnica?

iOS 8 on the iPhone 4S: Performance isn’t the (only) problem
[arstechnica.com]

Jeff

that's what I was thinking (but wasn't going to say)

Last year my mom unwittingly updated to iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 I had given her. When I saw it my though was "Noooooooooooo....!" According to the Ars article linked above v.8 on a 4S is worse than v.7 on a 4.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 22, 2014 03:12PM
thermarest
According to the Ars article linked above v.8 on a 4S is worse than v.7 on a 4.

Actually it says

We want to open this section by saying that iOS 8 on the iPhone 4S is nowhere near as bad as iOS 7 on the iPhone 4.

Posted by: decay
Date: September 22, 2014 03:29PM
downgrade WHILE YOU CAN.

[lifehacker.com]

---
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: September 22, 2014 04:04PM
I posted earlier that iOS 8 and Safari on my 4S are horrible. Many sites either take forever to load or don't load at all and produce an error code.

Bryan
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: September 22, 2014 10:29PM
Grumpyguy, try my fix above. I was having the same problem and it's fine now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020