advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Brooklyn Mail Carrier fired for hoarding mail
Posted by: Black
Date: September 27, 2014 12:39PM
Mail found in apartment and vehicle dating back to 2005.
[www.nydailynews.com]

Sad and bizarre that nobody in a supervisory role will be held accountable (at least as far as available information shows.)

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Brooklyn Mail Carrier fired for hoarding mail
Posted by: August West
Date: September 27, 2014 12:44PM

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: fauch
Date: September 27, 2014 03:02PM
[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 27, 2014 04:09PM
Interesting concept that any time an employee does something wrong, his or her supervisor should pay a price.

What's actually sad an bizarre is that family members knew about it and apparently did nothing, and that it took a supervisor seeing mail in the guy's personal vehicle to become suspicious.

And based again, on the article, there's a lot we don't know.

But I guess it's ok to assume whatever you want.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 27, 2014 04:59PM
RAMd®d

What's actually sad an bizarre is that family members knew about it and apparently did nothing, and that it took a supervisor seeing mail in the guy's personal vehicle to become suspicious.

Yes. It's not like the guy lived alone. He has apparently needed help for a long time.

Aside from the psychological issues, I can't imagine walking a delivery route at the age of 67.
Date: September 27, 2014 05:01PM
RAMd®d
Interesting concept that any time an employee does something wrong, his or her supervisor should pay a price.

And based again, on the article, there's a lot we don't know.

But I guess it's ok to assume whatever you want.
Did you actually read the story? We're talking about such massive amounts that there had to have been mondo complaints over the years. But feel free to respond as if we're talking about the occasional postcard.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 27, 2014 05:31PM
I'd guess that about 95% of my mail is junk mail that I would just as soon not receive. I sure wouldn't complain to the post office if it wasn't delivered. The remaining 5% I likely wouldn't miss either.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: September 27, 2014 06:50PM
Black, I don't know that very many people here would complain to their local post office branch about a missing letter or package. More likely people assumed something was lost in shipment and dealt with the senders. The guy was delivering mail some of the time, so probably there was no one on his route who just stopped getting mail completely.

This guy's supervisors may have had a clue, but it is by no means probable that they knew about this and didn't investigate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2014 06:54PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: September 27, 2014 09:01PM
Great, some of my mail is probably in his apartment.

Date: September 27, 2014 09:17PM
Did you actually read the story?

Did you actually read my post- the part about making assumptions based on facts we don't know- i.e. facts not in evidence?

He took a long time to accumulate that cache, and depending on how many deliveries he had and whether it was First Class, Priority, or Standard mail, it could take a long time before customers actually cared or even missed any mail.

If SSA or welfare or retirement checks in any number were among the missing, there would very likely be a lot of complaints.

IF an investigation turns up culpability of any degree on the part of management, I'd bet money that they'd be held responsible.

It's early days, yet. Unfortunately anybody getting fired or otherwise disciplined for this probably won't qualify as news so we may never know what happens, one way or the other.

But feel free to respond as though you have actual knowledge about the case beyond what's been offered in the article.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 27, 2014 10:11PM
when I lived at a certain address years ago and the carrier decided to just quit delivering mail to our building, it turned out there was not a lot I could do about it. the people answering the phones at the other end just didn't seem that concerned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2014 10:12PM by mrbigstuff.
Date: September 28, 2014 01:38AM
ka jowct
Black, I don't know that very many people here would complain to their local post office branch about a missing letter or package.

Do you mean because most forum regulars live in gated communities where everything is perfect, and their hired help deals with day to day stuff like missing mail?
Does nobody here understand that this person would have been the only carrier on a given route for weeks/months/years at a time?
I am baffled that anyone could read this story and frame the problem as "a missing letter or package."

Date: September 28, 2014 01:40AM
RAMd®d
Did you actually read the story?

Did you actually read my post- the part about making assumptions based on facts we don't know- i.e. facts not in evidence?

He took a long time to accumulate that cache, and depending on how many deliveries he had and whether it was First Class, Priority, or Standard mail, it could take a long time before customers actually cared or even missed any mail.

If SSA or welfare or retirement checks in any number were among the missing, there would very likely be a lot of complaints.

IF an investigation turns up culpability of any degree on the part of management, I'd bet money that they'd be held responsible.

It's early days, yet. Unfortunately anybody getting fired or otherwise disciplined for this probably won't qualify as news so we may never know what happens, one way or the other.

But feel free to respond as though you have actual knowledge about the case beyond what's been offered in the article.

Blah blah blah.... throw in a stoopid straw man like any time an employee does something wrong, his or her supervisor should pay a price and don't be suprised if I'm not hanging on your next gem of a thought.

Date: September 28, 2014 08:00AM
Black
ka jowct
Black, I don't know that very many people here would complain to their local post office branch about a missing letter or package.

Do you mean because most forum regulars live in gated communities where everything is perfect, and their hired help deals with day to day stuff like missing mail?
Does nobody here understand that this person would have been the only carrier on a given route for weeks/months/years at a time?
I am baffled that anyone could read this story and frame the problem as "a missing letter or package."

Not even close. "Here" is New York City, where I live. I do understand that he would have been the main carrier on his route for a long time, just as is the case in my neighborhood. What I said above is accurate for the city in which this occurred.
Date: September 28, 2014 01:51PM
and don't be suprised if I'm not hanging on your next gem of a thought.

I'll do my best to contain my disappointment.

Even if you weren't the type to jump to conclusions as you do, my post still stands.

It wasn't done in a week. Or a month.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: billb
Date: September 28, 2014 08:29PM
Black
Mail found in apartment and vehicle dating back to 2005.
[www.nydailynews.com]

Sad and bizarre that nobody in a supervisory role will be held accountable (at least as far as available information shows.)

accountable for what exactly ?
The USPS isn't exactly a NSA cousin.

I can't really see a relative wanting to be responsible for potential unemployment especially if he has kids and <if> they believed it was only junk mail it might be considered doing the mail recipients a favor.

15 years ago [or so] my mailman was fired for not delivering junk mail.
I didn't get any junk mail for years.
He got busted throwing bags of it in Dunkin Donuts garbage dumpsters when they set up cameras to record activity at the rear of stores.
It takes me about 8 weeks to fill a 65 gallon recycle barrel with junk mail so a ton probably isn't all that impressive.

a ton of mail

one ton bag of sugar
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: September 28, 2014 09:09PM
There used to be a substitute carrier on my route we called "Wolfman Jack" because he had this outrageous pompadour haircut and looked quite a bit like the Wolfman. Anyhow, when Jack was on the route we got fewer pieces of regular mail. Parcels weren't a problem because someone else delivered them. I know he was throwing mail away.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 29, 2014 09:47AM
I wish our carrier would toss out all the Comcast junk mail. About 4 pieces a week.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020