advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Think your cable bill is high: NBA signs new TV deal at triple the previous amount
Posted by: numbered
Date: October 06, 2014 01:26PM
The NBA has announced a 9 year $24 billion contract with ESPN and Turner for broadcast rights to the games. This is triple the amount of the previous contract, and will shake up the NBA and all sports programming.

Let's see: salary caps need modifying? New contracts with players? The NFL wanting to update its contract? The MLB?

How about cable channels charges for ESPN? I have read that every cable subscriber in the LA basin kicks in $5/month just for the Dodgers local coverage.

Live sports is holding the cable monopoly together, but for how long?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Think your cable bill is high: NBA signs new TV deal at triple the previous amount
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 06, 2014 01:29PM
Darn, Comcast is going to use that as a reason to raise rates again. And not being a sports fan I don't even watch ESPN, and only watch Turner for non-sports shows. But they are bundled into the second lowest tier of service, so I get them whether I want or not.
Re: Think your cable bill is high: NBA signs new TV deal at triple the previous amount
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 06, 2014 01:34PM
Glad I don't have cable!

Posted by: fmgtech
Date: October 06, 2014 01:45PM
If you don't watch sports, I would think that you could do without cable.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: October 06, 2014 02:15PM
fmgtech
If you don't watch sports, I would think that you could do without cable.

Yes, I am dropping Directv as soon as the World Series is over.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 06, 2014 02:44PM
Cable doesn't hold me hostage over sports. It does so over other channels like Turner Classic Movies. They are literally the only outlet for many classic films. Especially many pre-code movies.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 06, 2014 02:58PM
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020