advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Alpharetta, you okay?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: October 15, 2014 09:05AM
Forgot ye name here, but you okay after tornado?

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Alpharetta, you okay?
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 15, 2014 09:14AM
I live just outside of Alpharetta, and yes, we are OK.
The tornado that touched down here yesterday actually hit about 2-3 miles, approximately, from our house.
As tornados go, it did not do a lot of damage, at least from what I have seen on the news.
We got the take shelter call, our area has an emergency warning phone tree thing, but we didn't go to the basement, as it never really got that bad here, and we were watching it on the TV radar.
After seeing how close it was and how quickly it hit, I think we will go to the basement a little more quickly next time.
Thanks for asking about us. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 09:14AM by rgG.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: October 15, 2014 09:19AM
Good, rg! We've been close to tornadoes to know they are a bit scary.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Kate
Date: October 15, 2014 10:00AM
Glad you and yours are fine.

Kate
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 15, 2014 10:05AM
Good to hear it, keep yer head down!

JoeM
Posted by: Wags
Date: October 15, 2014 10:22AM
Glad you're not off to see the wizard. Next time put a boulder in your sock just in case.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 15, 2014 11:00AM
Woof... glad you're okay. Yep... time to put a few camping chairs and blankets, flashlight, and a cooler of beer in the shelter.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: October 15, 2014 11:31AM
rgG, when the authorities say to take shelter, take shelter. Tornadoes can turn on a dime.

Please.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 15, 2014 11:53AM
I remember a string of tornadoes going through my neighborhood when I was a kid. I remember the sky was a sickly shade of yellow/green. Then suddenly it turned almost black, rain fell sideways as the wind ratcheted up and up and up. It was like the hand of God picking and choosing who to screw with. The twister would form, smote a home or two then disappear and reappear a street or two away. It carved a path through the thick woods that was quite a site to behold. Western Pennsylvania is essentially a temperate rainforest if left unchecked. The twister went down the street into the woods and carved a 'V' shapped channel through the trees and undergrowth until it was bare earth at the bottom. 30 years later an you can still see where it was. It then disappeared into the clouds and reappeared on top of a shopping center about 4 miles away and ripped the roof off. I have quite a bit of respect for tornadoes as a result.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 15, 2014 01:39PM
Gutenberg
rgG, when the authorities say to take shelter, take shelter. Tornadoes can turn on a dime.

Please.

I know, but it was just that I was watching it on the news and they didn't even say it was near us, so I thought the call was just for the general warning area. Also, it was really early and I was half asleep, so I wasn't thinking all that clearly. I did have my raincoat and the big flashlight right by the basement door and I was only a few feet away from that door, so I was prepared to dash down the stairs if it seemed to be getting bad outside, but yeah, next time, downstairs first. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: tenders
Date: October 15, 2014 03:29PM
Albion, 1985?

ztirffritz
I remember a string of tornadoes going through my neighborhood when I was a kid. I remember the sky was a sickly shade of yellow/green. Then suddenly it turned almost black, rain fell sideways as the wind ratcheted up and up and up. It was like the hand of God picking and choosing who to screw with. The twister would form, smote a home or two then disappear and reappear a street or two away. It carved a path through the thick woods that was quite a site to behold. Western Pennsylvania is essentially a temperate rainforest if left unchecked. The twister went down the street into the woods and carved a 'V' shapped channel through the trees and undergrowth until it was bare earth at the bottom. 30 years later an you can still see where it was. It then disappeared into the clouds and reappeared on top of a shopping center about 4 miles away and ripped the roof off. I have quite a bit of respect for tornadoes as a result.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 15, 2014 04:11PM
If she doesn't live in a trailer park, she should be OK. I hear tornadoes are attracted to aluminum siding and cinder blocks.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 15, 2014 05:21PM
They don't allow trailer parks in Alpharetta. Double-ovens, riding lawnmowers, that sort of thing. Frankly I'm surprised they allowed the "tornayda" smiling smiley
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 15, 2014 06:47PM
Well, when Sun City West was built, they tried to put up a huge 10' tall fence around the community that my mom lives in next door, because the new home owners didn't want to look at trailers and motor homes. They went before the Surprise AZ town council to get a variance to make the fence that tall. The Happy Trails community has a very nice 6' tall wall already.

The lawyers and developers for Sun City West were very rude and supercillious about the mobile home/RV community that was there LONG before the developers purchased the land to create Sun City West. However, they didn't do their homework. They insulted the head of the city council, who lives in Happy Trails, and has a 3/4 million dollar motor home, worth 3 times what the POS houses being built next door at Sun City West were. Needless to say, the fence/wall was never allowed to be built.

I don't have a problem with pre-manufactured homes, if they are good ones, and taken care of. FWIW. (but most aren't)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 06:48PM by Racer X.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020