advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ebola tracking.. Viral Vectors come Home....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 15, 2014 11:28AM
[www.bbc.com]

"US health officials are seeking 132 people who flew on a plane with a Texas nurse on the day before she came down with symptoms of Ebola."

Spiffy. I think we can all expect to have our temperatures taken before we board when we fly ANYWHERE pretty soon.

Who makes the non contact thermometers they use ? Time to invest in the company... Or.. wait.. someone here works with that company that makes iPhone FLIR cameras.. that would work !

[www.flir.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ebola tracking.. Viral Vectors come Home....
Posted by: Pam
Date: October 15, 2014 11:47AM
This would not bother me. Wish they'd do it at workplaces as well. Not for Ebola of course. But for all of the other crud that people willingly spread because they won't stay home when they're sick!!!
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: October 15, 2014 11:59AM
Pam
won't stay home when they're sick

i'm sure your project is very important, accounting guy. but i'd appreciate it if you kept your TB-sounding cough at home.
Posted by: Don C
Date: October 15, 2014 12:01PM
"because they won't stay home when they're sick!"

Yeah, but the hospitals around here punish nurses for sick days taken. Too many points and you are fired.
Two friends who are nurses at two different hospitals report this practice.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 15, 2014 12:02PM
Why was the nurse even allowed to fly? I suspect that for all the assurances, those who are supposed to have this under control really don't know how to keep us safe. I expect this will get worse before it gets better.

JoeM
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 15, 2014 12:08PM
JoeM
Why was the nurse even allowed to fly? I suspect that for all the assurances, those who are supposed to have this under control really don't know how to keep us safe. I expect this will get worse before it gets better.

Especially in situations where people already know they have been around someone with Ebola, I think it would be most prudent to quarantine them for a week as well, regardless of protective gear. Proactive, not reactive.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 15, 2014 12:08PM
Don C

Yeah, but the hospitals around here punish nurses for sick days taken. Too many points and you are fired.

Yup. My wife can confirm. Plus it's all lumped into PTO with a very restrictive vacation policy, so a sick day means you defacto loose a vacation day that year. And the PTO accumulation has a ceiling so you can't bank many days for an extended illness for, like, EBOLA.
Date: October 15, 2014 12:18PM
Acer
Don C

Yup. My wife can confirm. Plus it's all lumped into PTO with a very restrictive vacation policy, so a sick day means you defacto loose a vacation day that year. And the PTO accumulation has a ceiling so you can't bank many days for an extended illness for, like, EBOLA.

Obviously not everyone can stay home when they should. Forget those exemptions. There are still lots and lots of people who can and don't.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 15, 2014 12:39PM
Pam
Acer
Don C

Obviously not everyone can stay home when they should. Forget those exemptions. There are still lots and lots of people who can and don't.

Good employers and managers make it very clear to employees that if they're sick, they should take care of themselves, stay home and get better, and resume their work when they're able without any negative consequences. A lot of people who come to work when they're sick because they've seen the negative repercussions of others calling in sick. Let's spread the responsibility around a bit, shall we? It's not always jerks who won't stay home because they selfishly want to work through illness.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 12:40PM by rjmacs.
Date: October 15, 2014 12:58PM
rjmacs
Pam
Acer
Don C

Good employers and managers make it very clear to employees that if they're sick, they should take care of themselves, stay home and get better, and resume their work when they're able without any negative consequences. A lot of people who come to work when they're sick because they've seen the negative repercussions of others calling in sick. Let's spread the responsibility around a bit, shall we? It's not always jerks who won't stay home because they selfishly want to work through illness.

Good gracious you people are touchy sensitive. You know exactly what people I am talking about. If you want to get into employer roles, that'll quickly get sent to the other side.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 15, 2014 01:07PM
Pam
rjmacs
Pam
Acer
Don C

Good gracious you people are touchy sensitive. You know exactly what people I am talking about. If you want to get into employer roles, that'll quickly get sent to the other side.

Who are you talking about, Pam? People who love to work when they're sick? Or are they possibly afraid to take leave because then they might not have a day to take care of the sick kid, or they might get hollered at for falling behind on the project?

Maybe you work in a place where you're surrounded by a-holes who just love to work when they're really too sick to come in just to be inconsiderate and infectious to coworkers. I'm glad i don't work with folks like that! I've known plenty of folks who are afraid to take sick leave, though.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 15, 2014 01:26PM
Good Managers may tell people to go home when they are sick.

Crappy Corporate HR policies are written by people who really, really, really want to have slaves but can't. So their policies are written juuust on the other side of requiring that workers call the CEO "Mass-a".

Yes. I DID write that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 01:44PM by cbelt3.
Date: October 15, 2014 01:28PM
rjmacs
Pam
rjmacs
Pam
Acer
Don C

Who are you talking about, Pam? People who love to work when they're sick? Or are they possibly afraid to take leave because then they might not have a day to take care of the sick kid, or they might get hollered at for falling behind on the project?

Maybe you work in a place where you're surrounded by a-holes who just love to work when they're really too sick to come in just to be inconsiderate and infectious to coworkers. I'm glad i don't work with folks like that! I've known plenty of folks who are afraid to take sick leave, though.

Seriously? How can I make this any clearer. People go to work sick when they can stay at home without any form of retribution or consequence. Hell, they go to the gym sick.

Did you really think I was talking about people who could lose their jobs? Don't let that chip on your shoulder put words in my mouth or mind. I've been in that position. I have family and friends in that position. That does not negate the fact that people "push through" and go to public places when they have no business being there and don't have to be there.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 15, 2014 01:47PM
Pam
rjmacs
Pam
rjmacs
Pam
Acer
Don C

Seriously? How can I make this any clearer. People go to work sick when they can stay at home without any form of retribution or consequence. Hell, they go to the gym sick.

Did you really think I was talking about people who could lose their jobs? Don't let that chip on your shoulder put words in my mouth or mind. I've been in that position. I have family and friends in that position. That does not negate the fact that people "push through" and go to public places when they have no business being there and don't have to be there.

Yep, why be sick and miserable and stay home and get nothing done? Would rather be sick and doing nothing while getting paid for it. Save that PTO for a real vacation.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 15, 2014 02:24PM
Judging by the news, 'World War E' coverage continues to ramp up. Not really a threat in the U.S.. Getting bigger elsewhere, however.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 15, 2014 05:02PM
Ah, I remember when I had a job with sick time...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: kd
Date: October 15, 2014 07:20PM
A guy in our group of about 8 people attended a group meeting with a hacking cough and gave it to everybody else. I got it so bad it cost me a week's work (uncompensated because I was a contractor). Not happy.
Posted by: TLB
Date: October 16, 2014 08:14AM
" Nurses from the Cleveland Clinic and MetroHealth Medical Center were among those on the Frontier Airlines flight with Dallas Ebola patient Amber Joy Vinson and are now on paid leave while their health is monitored for possible symptoms."

Sounds like theses were on the flight TO Cleveland, not the return flight to Dallas that occurred the day before the Ms Vinson's symptoms presented themselves.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: October 16, 2014 05:00PM
Why didn't the nurse quarantine herself? She knew she was exposed? Along with the rest of the hospital employees.

Who is paying to fly these people all over for treatment?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018