advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Using an iPhone upside down
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 15, 2014 06:37PM
Strange as it seems, I sometimes wish I could use the iPhone upside down. Maybe I want to record something and I want the microphone to face the speaker. Sure, it will work, but the screen will not turn back into normal orientation like it does on my iPad. Or perhaps I need to take a picture from a low angle and I want to have the camera all he way down.

My iPad will show the screen in correct orientation, no matter how I hold It. Landscape, or portrait, normal or upside down. But my iPhone refused to turn the screen 180 degree when hold it upside down. I will only do 90 deg left or right in landscape mode.

Why does Apple not rotate the screen upside down on iPhone?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Using an iPhone upside down
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 15, 2014 08:31PM
"You're holding it wrong."
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: October 15, 2014 09:14PM
Does your iPhone not have rotation lock? Doesn't that do what you want?

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 15, 2014 09:34PM
The UnDoug
Does your iPhone not have rotation lock? Doesn't that do what you want?

No, I want the image to flip back straight up when I hold the phone upside down. This happens on iPad, but does not happened on iPhone.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 15, 2014 11:02PM
Interesting. I never noticed that, but I'm kind of glad it works the way it does. While I like that feature on the iPad (I sometimes find it easier to hold mine upside-down with it's folded back cover), I think it would be a little disconcerting on the phone which would be easy to pick up the wrong way.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 16, 2014 12:31AM
deckeda
"You're holding it wrong."
ftw smileysmiley-score010

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 16, 2014 08:43AM
If it did, then people would pick up their phones upside down and try to answer/place calls that way.

And they would complain that it was a major design flaw. Apple is doomed, etc.

The iPad doesn't have that issue.
Posted by: MEG
Date: October 16, 2014 10:04AM
space-time
Why does Apple not rotate the screen upside down on iPhone?

It depends on the app. Lux is probably on to the reason why Apple doesn't do it with their apps.

But apps like ProCam (recently free via Starbucks I think) and a few others do rotate with orientation of the phone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020