advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
politics and Facebook
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 22, 2014 02:31PM
I have a few relatives that insist on using Facebook to express their extreme political opinions. Extreme ideas that have all been proven wrong. Today I finally blocked further posts from one person. That makes me really sad as I will now miss the "good" family related postings. I wish people would leave politics for discussions with like minded friends.

It does make me appreciate the system we have here. We can all enjoy each others company in the Tips and Deals forum and leave the Political forum for those who want to discuss those things.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: politics and Facebook
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 22, 2014 02:39PM
Duck.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 22, 2014 02:39PM
or religion. Wife gets that on hers. Tons of it. Blah.

And just to stay On Topic: Obama should have stopped Ebola by now. Glen Beck said so.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Pam
Date: October 22, 2014 02:43PM
I hide Facebook posts all of the time for that reason. And block shares from sites I know I'll never want to see.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 22, 2014 02:50PM
Pam
I hide Facebook posts all of the time for that reason. And block shares from sites I know I'll never want to see.

me too. some people have no filter.

personally, i post mostly silly stuff 'cause anything else isn't worth the potential trouble.

Posted by: decay
Date: October 22, 2014 03:00PM
I posted this hot political item today

[www.theisraelidaily.com]

grinning smiley

---
Date: October 22, 2014 03:03PM
I love to see pictures from my relatives posted to Facebook. And I love to hear about the adventures they are on. I just don't think a repost of a political news article is appropriate. you nailed it when you said some people don't have a personal filter.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: October 22, 2014 03:48PM
Like most of you have said, I avoid the controversial and political on Facebook. My only concern is that those of us who have filters use them, so FB, and the internet as a whole, seems to reflect extreme views, and this becomes a mirror of who we think we are. Or we get beat down so loudly when we do participate in a conversation, to the point where we give up expressing our view. Grumble, grumble. Facebook needs an "other side" like we have here.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 22, 2014 03:56PM
I usually just scroll past. Unless it's SO egregious that I have to apply a Snopes or other disclaimer. The commentary usually then turns funny. Fortunately most of my family and friends are reasonably well informed and thoughtful people.

I save my political spewings for here. I don't have to have Thanksgiving dinner with you guys ! smiley-music039
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 22, 2014 04:18PM
I don't mind the occasional political post on Facebook... but I had (note the tense) one friend who posted upwards of 40 posts a DAY on politics, religion, and other irritations... I finally de-friended them, and changed my email address, because they ALSO sent the same amount of garbage in incessant email forwards, despite pleas to knock it off from a LOT of this persons friends (not just me).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: October 22, 2014 04:42PM
Paul, I had a friend that went down that path. I stopped responding to any of his emails for a few months and he stopped sending to me. Now we are able to exchange emails on occasion. Sorry to hear yours wasn't able to be resolved.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 22, 2014 05:41PM
davemchine
Paul, I had a friend that went down that path. I stopped responding to any of his emails for a few months and he stopped sending to me. Now we are able to exchange emails on occasion. Sorry to hear yours wasn't able to be resolved.

Yes, it was unfortunate... she wouldn't listen to her friends when they ASKED her to stop. Quite a few times we (her group of friends) asked her to please cut it down... she didn't listen.
The occasional email about something that my friends are passionate about, that's fine... even if I don't share their interest most of the time, but past a certain point, and it's just TOO much.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 22, 2014 05:56PM
I love FB for being able to keep up with people. Politics/religion are topics I actually don't mind so much IF it is the poster's own thoughts based on real information and credible resources. Parroting or reposting a talking head's thoughts and spamming my wall will runs down my patience. I will filter out those who are not thinking for themselves but relying on others to do it for them.

That all beng said, being informed and participating in democracy is a good thing. Arguing on social media is not my purpose for using social media. I have never seen an argument online end in someone saying, "Well, now that you point those well researched and credible pieces of information, my stand on the topic has changed. Thank you for opening my eyes to the issue. Let's have more constructive dialogue about other topics and build bridges of understanding."

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Pam
Date: October 22, 2014 06:04PM
pRICE cUBE
I love FB for being able to keep up with people. Politics/religion are topics I actually don't mind so much IF it is the poster's own thoughts based on real information and credible resources. Parroting or reposting a talking head's thoughts and spamming my wall will runs down my patience. I will filter out those who are not thinking for themselves but relying on others to do it for them.

This is not what usually happens. It's almost always parroting an agenda driven piece. The ebola crap alone was astounding. But even those pieces were politically motivated.
Posted by: Black
Date: October 22, 2014 06:11PM
I have recently started using facebook for a very specific interest.... I get a zillion friend requests every day from others with that interest, and I have no idea why most of the time but decided I'm approving all of them just to find out what the consequence of doing so is. Some of their political crap ends up on my 'wall' or whatever you call it, but it's received as more of a curiosity than an imposition as I don't really care what's on there.

On the topic of losing contact with family though-- anyone else here suspect that Facebook has resulted in less face-to-face family/extended family contact?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: October 22, 2014 06:15PM
Pam
pRICE cUBE

This is not what usually happens. It's almost always parroting an agenda driven piece. The ebola crap alone was astounding. But even those pieces were politically motivated.

For whatever reason a coworker texted the department the news about two possible ebola victims in Chicago hospitals couched in a screen grab from his facebook..... coworker is an addict of a certain talking head with the name of a Canadian power trio, and a current events/entertainment network that rhymes with "box foos."
Can you guess what every single comment said should happen to the victims?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: October 22, 2014 06:17PM
Pam
pRICE cUBE

I would guess the percentage of people posting their own thoughts on that topic is pretty low. It is easier to just parrot information and not test the validity of it.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: decay
Date: October 22, 2014 06:21PM
i have a crazy cross-section of FB friends. ministers, Christians, Jews, atheists, drug-free to drug-enhanced, Mac users, PC users, Android users, iPhone users... i actually like seeing different things from different people's viewpoints.

---
Date: October 22, 2014 06:34PM
decay
i have a crazy cross-section of FB friends. ministers, Christians, Jews, atheists, drug-free to drug-enhanced, Mac users, PC users, Android users, iPhone users... i actually like seeing different things from different people's viewpoints.

I have a mixed group of friends also. Seeing different points of view is one thing, being inundated with parroted thoughts is another. Having discussions based on facts and actual numbers is worth reading but most of what I see is utter absurdity and lacks civility.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 22, 2014 07:44PM
What's Facebook?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 23, 2014 07:00AM
Per my sig, I feel the need to correct obvious hate and wrongness. The most enjoyable debates are with my cousin. She's a retired military officer, married to an active combat vet, has worked with PSTD soldiers. She's better educated than me, more experienced, and almost certainly smarter.... yet she still ... OTOH, debating with her sharpens my research skills, so it is intellectually stimulating, unlike most of the politicrap I see on the booFace!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 23, 2014 08:09AM
Oy.

I have a parent who insists on using Fb for political postings, all day, every day. I've tried to tell them that this isn't what Fb is for, that maybe a blog might be a better medium for this purpose. The answer I got was, "well, I can use it [Fb] for what I want." (This parent is at that age where I think they feel entitled to pretty much do whatever they want.) This behavior results in them occasionally getting into online arguments with family members who don't agree with their views-- which then results in some offline acrimony. I've even bought them a book on Fb etiquette, which they've apparently decided to disregard.

What can you do? And it does kinda make the point, maybe they're right-- who's to say for what you should and shouldn't be using it?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 08:14AM by PeterB.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 23, 2014 12:18PM
One solution nobody has discussed is to change a person's status from "friend" to "acquaintance". That way you see far fewer posts from them and you don't have to "unfriend" them.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020