advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Poser du jour... "Stone Wall Showers" are a thing. How do you clean them ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 30, 2014 12:19PM
Somehow I see a lot of mold and fungus in the HLN show houses in the future. Or am I wrong ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Poser du jour... "Stone Wall Showers" are a thing. How do you clean them ?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 30, 2014 12:34PM
Bleach and some scrubbing? No worse than a tile shower or anything else really.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Re: OT: Poser du jour... "Stone Wall Showers" are a thing. How do you clean them ?
Posted by: billb
Date: October 30, 2014 12:40PM
objet de l'affection

a well trained eye, like a rolling stone ......

I've never had trouble with mildew on stone, ceramic, plastic or grout.
Just on a bead of silicone at the joint between a wall and tub.
Picked it all out, replaced it and the problem went away.
I have no idea what the goop was that grew black whatever-it-was.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: October 30, 2014 12:56PM
I know, right? We’ve seen a handful in the last couple years as we’ve looked for a bigger house. It’s not at all like tile & grout; the rocks themselves often have all sorts of nooks and crannies. If we bought a house with a rock wall shower, yanking it out would be one of the first things we’d do.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 30, 2014 01:07PM
I was wondering that myself while watching Bath Crashers the other night.
The stone they used for the shower had a rough, very rough face to it and there were a lot of them.
I was thinking, how the heck do you clean those.
Our shower has solid surface walls, just four big slabs that form the walls and floor. It is the easiest surface to clean, and it still takes a lot of effort to get all the soap scum and stuff off. Those rough faced stones would never get clean.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 01:08PM by rgG.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 30, 2014 01:08PM
get it clean/mold free, then hit it w/ a few coats of sealant before resuming "active" duty...

really? a bathing suit in the shower?
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 30, 2014 01:35PM
Buzz
really? a bathing suit in the shower?
==

Well, let's be honest here... for a PHOTO SHOOT to put on ADVERTISING for a shower... sure!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 30, 2014 01:43PM
I like the look, but wouldn't want the extra effort to clean.

I guess that's something for folks with paid help to maintain their homes. I don't NEED any more time wasters. I have enough as it is.

I'm still holding out for a robot to handle all my boring chores. C'mon genius inventors! Get busy! Roomba is cool, but you need to step up your game!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 30, 2014 01:53PM
You think people with showers like that clean 'em themselves? smiley-laughing001

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 30, 2014 02:09PM
This does raise a question;
If you use natural stone for your shower, and moss, etc, grows in it... is it necessarily a bad thing? If you were going for the "natural" look - what looks more natural than actual moss growing on the rocks?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: October 30, 2014 02:17PM

~$50 a Quart.
It goes on easily, and it does a pretty good job of filling in all those hospitable nooks and crannies.
(Note that it just as toxic to you as it is to the Slimes.)

There needs to be four conditions met in order to have a problem: Air, Heat/Light, Moisture, and Food.
You are providing the Food. Heat is part of the problem, but very cold showers have fallen out of favor. Moisture is just unavoidable. So that leaves Air.
One needs a lot of it, as in forced ventilation, to dry the little buggers out. UV lighting with a steady flow of Oxygen does a pretty good job of turning remaining Hydrocarbons and Carbohydrates into CO2, and the technique is known as "UV Scrubbing". A standard Clean Room Technique.
(Again, note that it just as toxic to you as it is to the Slimes.)

An extremely simple and cheap solution is Shower Curtains. When they get too grody, either wash them, or toss them out.
I buy the $8 ones.

¬Eustace
Posted by: billb
Date: October 30, 2014 02:53PM
Paul F.
If you use natural stone for your shower, and moss, etc, grows in it... is it necessarily a bad thing? If you were going for the "natural" look - what looks more natural than actual moss growing on the rocks?

I feel the same way about dust.
Likely a wonderful ant repellant too.
I'll never know.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: October 30, 2014 03:33PM
Natural stone isn't any more difficult to keep clean than tile grout. Most stone used for showers, countertops, etc is less permeable and can be sealed more completely than grout. If you use soapstone which is completely impermeable then it's completely simple to clean.

Also, mold or fungus is easily killed with many cleaning agents. Typical mold or fungus problems in houses happen when there is a problem with moisture behind permeable walls, not in showers, which are built with impermeable membranes.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 30, 2014 03:39PM
Paul F.

Exactly. Same for the soap scum - just let it build, you will be the only one who knows it's there. Sheesh. Moss is unlikely to grow anyway. Nothing unusual will. Don't sweat it. She should not be wearing a bikini in the shower.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: October 30, 2014 04:33PM
I figure when it's time to redo the tile shower, I'll switch over to epoxy grout...
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 30, 2014 04:51PM
Paul F.

Yeah, how many people wash the rocks in their streams or waterfalls outside?
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: October 30, 2014 08:46PM
I'd use some bleach water in a spray bottle. Let it sit for a while and then rinse it off.

Let it dry for a couple of days and then seal it several times.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 31, 2014 07:18AM
that looks so.......dirty....!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020