Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sam's Club - worth it?
Posted by: stephen
Date: October 31, 2014 06:13AM
I've always been a Costco fan.

And I like and appreciate the differences in the way they treat their employees.

However, there's a deal for a Sam's Club membership that is quite cheap right now on Living Social and comes with free stuff.

Are there compelling reasons to also have a Sam's membership?

[www.livingsocial.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sam's Club - worth it?
Posted by: vicrock
Date: October 31, 2014 07:15AM
When we lived in VA we were members of both, as they were both conveniently located. Each had slightly different merchandise. I'd suggest evaluating Sam's to see if they have different items that you prefer over Costco.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 31, 2014 07:18AM
I like going to Sams about as much as I like going to Walmart. Which is why I go to Costco.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 07:19AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 31, 2014 07:19AM
vicrock
When we lived in VA we were members of both, as they were both conveniently located. Each had slightly different merchandise. I'd suggest evaluating Sam's to see if they have different items that you prefer over Costco.

Exactly.

We are members of both, but that's because Sams was here first and is still easier to reach than our Costco.

But we DO use both.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 31, 2014 07:27AM
I'd prefer to use Costco, but they are across town. Sam's is perhaps 1/4 mile off my route home, and is actually the closest store to my house with groceries. So I'm 'that guy' who comes in and just buys milk and bread. The staff all know me.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 31, 2014 07:36AM
cbelt3
I'd prefer to use Costco, but they are across town. Sam's is perhaps 1/4 mile off my route home, and is actually the closest store to my house with groceries. So I'm 'that guy' who comes in and just buys milk and bread. The staff all know me.

I'd never do that around here. Every time I've been to our Costco, the lines are about 20 deep with people who look like they are stocking up for the apocalypse. While I'm sure there are slower times, I've never experienced them.

Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: October 31, 2014 07:57AM
Worth it for the gas price if it's near you. I have both memberships and Costco is the nicer store by far. But the Sam's Club is much more convenient for gas - and the last 2 months it's consistently been 15¢-20¢ cheaper than elsewhere. In that 2 months I have saved approximately $25 in gas so figure that in if your Sam's Club has gas in your area.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: rz
Date: October 31, 2014 08:23AM
Yup, again it depends on whether they carry stuff you'll actually buy and how convenient they are. At one point, years ago, we had memberships to the three big ones (Sams, Costco and BJ's). Sams has two warehouses closer than either of the other two. They also carried more of the stuff we use. Costco had some unique things, but they're too far away, and the lines there are insane. They did seem to have more free samples though. BJ's was ok. Their biggest selling point is that they accept manufacturer coupons, which stack with their own coupons. But for the past several years, they've been offering free 60 day memberships on an almost-continuous basis. My wife and I switch back and forth on who gets the membership. They don't seem to care that we do it over and over. So we're "members" about 6 months out of every year.

Sam's is the only one we keep paying for. For Costco, we have friends and family who are members, so maybe once or twice a year, we'll go with one of them and look around. They do carry a chocolate and caramel covered macadamia nut treat that I like. But usually, we don't end up buying anything else there.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: October 31, 2014 08:44AM
I always use Sam's self checkout. When the other lines are long there's normally a self checkout open. I think a lot of people are afraid to use it.

Fred
Posted by: billb
Date: October 31, 2014 09:28AM
Sams and Costco are both a half hour, or more, drive for me so I've never been in either one.

Costco is next door to Ikea here and we went up on a Saturday looking for a small couch (and just to see what Ikea was all about) and I got some kind of anxiety attack or something from the overwhelming size of the store, number of people , whatever and had to leave and never got to Costco either.

We have a BJ's here . They have the cheapest gas in town.

If at the end of the year you come out ahead (you've actually saved money) after the membership fee then it is worth it, no ?

I take a permanent marker and put the price paid on everything.
Otherwise without being anal about recording prices in excel/cost per pound.etc I'd have no idea what a good/bad price is for a jar of mayo, or whatever, especially given all the various sizes stores employ to make comparison more difficult.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: October 31, 2014 11:24AM
I'm gonna give Sam's Club a try, thanks stephen!

Posted by: MarkD
Date: October 31, 2014 12:50PM
Its a six of one half dozen of another. Both are close to me. Have both memberships, wife has favorite items from each. Use the costco membership for the "free" amex card. The returns are better at costco. Sam's membership can be upgraded to get in early if that is important. Gas seems to be about the same price for both.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 31, 2014 12:57PM
I consider the Costco AmEx card to pay for the membership if I'm planning to make an electronic purchase that year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018