Date: November 06, 2014 06:10PM
Per Dave Grohl...
[wxrt.cbslocal.com]

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bands that perform whole albums: "Presumptous and Lazy."
Posted by: kj
Date: November 06, 2014 07:04PM
Man, I must be getting old, because I can't even figure out what he's talking about. Plus, the foo fighters have been around for 20yrs? Holy Cow. kj.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 06, 2014 07:13PM
I would agree that bands that depend on their old material are certainly lazy. It's WAY harder to make new music that the fans want to hear, but you can always depend on the old standards to make them happy.

I've seen bands perform whole albums when they are fresh and new (Pete Townshend & Neil Young) and they were magnificent.
Date: November 06, 2014 07:20PM
On the other hand, the first Metallica concert I went to (I have to go because my step-brother makes me) alternated old, new, old... Everyone sat down during the new, then went nuts for the old. I know what I would do if I were them. kj.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 06, 2014 08:27PM
better to say: bands that perform their songs exactly as on the albums are lazy.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: November 06, 2014 08:43PM
Nope I love it when a band brings IT and plays their best stuff, top notch. Whether it's old or new..it's an art and a skill to be a pro who can bring that stuff night after night. saw Fleetwood Mac recently and it was great to see them hit it on those "old numbers"

Freshening upa song can be done in that context.

Lazy????? Seriously? It's really @#$%& hard to do that..play studio versions of records..pretty damn hard. to be disciplined and spot on like that..especially with the 'spirit' and 'energy' that brought the old good stuff..

Im talking pop music..rock, funk, junk..not jazz.

The best pop stuff generally happens when these folks are younger..they should understand why folks PAY to see that stuff done well. It's natural and when done well, folks love it.

ALbums? If they play it well and it's a good album..bring it on.

I would kill to see Elton John do Yellow Brick Road in a show..studio versions done faithfully..

Hell I saw him on that tour in hmm '74?? and that's pretty much what they did and it was outrageous.

Dave Grohl is a nice guy. I know him..but he talks to much from the mouthpiece of a guy who thinks he knows how everything should be in music, proper....Foo Fighters are good example of that..they shouldn't be like they are.

hahahahahaha

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2014 10:15PM by Kraniac.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 06, 2014 09:33PM
The best bands don't like replaying old stuff all the time. I saw Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young a few years ago, and David Crosby got up and said that they he knew that we were there to hear the old songs. but that they were also going to play some of their new stuff because that is the stuff that keeps them alive.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: November 06, 2014 10:14PM
I saw CSN with Young a few years ago too.hmm, 4? 5? dunno..probably same tour..They did a few new songs..that's cool..but they also did the hits and they did them really well. It was amazing to watch and hear those important songs being played properly..I feel like those old hits we love are triggers and documents of our moments in life and when I hear a band zone em in and respect them i think it's more awesome than anything.

The Stones usually whip out a few new ones from their token "new record"..They know..all you have to do is look out there and you know what the fans are thinking..but if it keeps em alive, more power..
Posted by: Black
Date: November 06, 2014 11:57PM
Kraniac
I saw CSN with Young a few years ago too.hmm, 4? 5? dunno..probably same tour..They did a few new songs..that's cool..but they also did the hits and they did them really well. It was amazing to watch and hear those important songs being played properly..I feel like those old hits we love are triggers and documents of our moments in life and when I hear a band zone em in and respect them i think it's more awesome than anything.

The Stones usually whip out a few new ones from their token "new record"..They know..all you have to do is look out there and you know what the fans are thinking..but if it keeps em alive, more power..
I saw CSN too late... no regrets though.

Date: November 06, 2014 11:58PM
Kraniac
Foo Fighters are good example of that..they shouldn't be like they are.
I'd be interested to hear more about what this means if you're willing. They're a bit enigmatic to me but I can't quite explain why...

Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 07, 2014 02:16AM
I don't get the "presumptious" part. If people want to see a concert like that, then fine, why not do it.

Maybe he's not old enough to remember when an album was a complete package, deliberately organized in a certain manner. Maybe he thinks of albums as a random collection of iTunes and can't see why someone may enjoy hearing a live rendition of a total album song by song. There's a few albums by a few artists which I'd love to hear performed in order in total.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 07, 2014 07:35AM
It all depends on the band and what they're playing. I watched Queensryche perform Operation Mindcrime in its entirety and it was incredible. Like being at a Broadway show, except the music didn't suck.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 07, 2014 08:04AM
Yeah, that whole Pink Floyd "The Wall" thing was sooooo lazy.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 07, 2014 11:03AM
Quadrophenia
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: November 07, 2014 12:32PM
Attention-desperate rock stars who call other musicians "presumptuous and lazy" for playing what they want, or what their audience wants, are presumptuous. Grohl needs to @#$%&.

Date: November 07, 2014 12:42PM
Uncle Wig
Attention-desperate rock stars who call other musicians "presumptuous and lazy" for playing what they want, or what their audience wants, are presumptuous. Grohl needs to @#$%&.
I never got the impression Dave Grohl particularly cares about or needs attention.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 07, 2014 01:39PM
I wouldn't want every show like that, but getting to see Steely Dan play all of "Aja" and "The Royal Scam"--in the same night, the only time they've ever done that--was an experience I wouldn't trade away. Seeing Rush play "Moving Pictures" and Living Colour play "Vivid" were pretty bad-ass as well.

I kind of get Dave's point in that playing full albums has become a fad and a marketing gimmick lately, but when it works, it's great.
Date: November 07, 2014 04:29PM
Mostly thought to post this because it's been pretty clear a vocal majority (myself included) enjoy when bands play whole albums. I think calling that "Lazy" is a bit ironic, since there are probably going to be tracks on any such album that the musicians haven't played in years and have to learn almost from scratch. Contrast with Foos who pull from the same pool of relatively simple songs continually, plus a newer one from time to time.
Whole albums I've seen performed include Peter Gabriel "So" and Phoenix "1901..." Feel like there are one or two more but blanking.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 07, 2014 05:01PM
I would have loved to see "So"!

Date: November 07, 2014 05:56PM
$tevie
I would have loved to see "So"!

Oh my gosh, me too. kj.
Date: November 07, 2014 06:13PM
Not to rub your noses in it, but I am very very glad I went to that show.

Date: November 07, 2014 06:14PM
Oh duh-- The Wall!

Date: November 07, 2014 06:14PM
And more duh: Tommy and Quadraphenia!!

Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: November 07, 2014 08:05PM
Here's a short list of Concept Albums, musical pieces connected by theme or narrative, or both.
Some are more successful than others, but the argument can be made that they should be performed live in their entirety, or not at all:

[en.wikipedia.org]

┬ČEustace
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: November 07, 2014 10:41PM
I don't get it, want to listen to the album, listen to the album.

I'd rather hear a bands catalog, only the good stuff than to hear the padded out LP. But that's just me, I'm old...

Also, Grohl and the Foo Fighters are @#$%&...over-rated tripe.

There are lots of bands in the last 20 year, playing good music, Foo Fighters are not in that group.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 08, 2014 10:59AM
I saw Dweezil play Apostrophe in toto. It was great.

And made me really regret never seeing FZ live.
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: November 08, 2014 01:16PM
eustacetilley
Here's a short list of Concept Albums, musical pieces connected by theme or narrative, or both.
Some are more successful than others, but the argument can be made that they should be performed live in their entirety, or not at all:

[en.wikipedia.org]

┬ČEustace

That list uses a definition of the term "concept album" to a looser degree than I've ever considered.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: November 08, 2014 05:53PM
Dave G should learn from Prince.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: November 08, 2014 09:21PM
The first big concert I went to was Jethro Tull on the Thick As A Brick tour--the album wasn't even out yet, but that's the first thing they did. Then they played all of Aqualung. Then things from Benefit and Stand Up, even a couple from This Was even though Martin Barre couldn't really play Mick Abrahams' parts at that time. And they killed. For almost three hours.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015