advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Elementary, opinions?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 07, 2014 09:29PM
So far I am not enjoying this season of Elementary. I don't like the new character and I don't like the tension between Watson and Sherlock. How are you enjoying this season?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Elementary, opinions?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 07, 2014 09:35PM
I imagine the episode where Holmes and Watson come out of the closet will have very high ratings.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 07, 2014 09:49PM
Not so much this season
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: November 07, 2014 09:53PM
This could be a lot of fun, and I dip in at times, but Liu just ruins it for me.
"...when you have eliminated the truth, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the impossible." Talk about casting...

Now if you are talking about Lovibond, playing Kitty... Comparisons with "Sherlock" are inevitable. It isn't as if they are completely unaware of each other. ("Sherlock" prefers to ignore those trivialities.)
Kitty Winter is not unknown in the Canon, see "The Adventure of the Illustrious Client", and I must say that I am intrigued as how this will play out; yet it is not an enduring role.

I assume there will be a lot of Huffing on Liu's part, in any event.

¬Eustace
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: November 07, 2014 09:59PM
It started getting bad at the end of last season, I watched the first episode of this season, barely made it through and then promptly deleted the episode and the record schedule for it on the DVR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 10:42PM by saintyohann.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: November 07, 2014 10:01PM
No comparison to last season. Saw the first episode and will not watch any more.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 07, 2014 10:14PM
I watched Elementary only a few times and didn't enjoy it so much either. The main character's nerdiness is kind of fun though.

I really liked the recent Sherlock series on PBS. That show's Doctor Watson is the same actor who played Lester Nygaard on FX's Fargo TV series.

Sherlock

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 07, 2014 10:41PM
At least Sherlock is shaving. They had to eliminate the "sexual tension" TV factor between Holmes and Watson so they could work together as partners. So they put in the sexy (but troubled) Kitty to strut her stuff around. She'll be subplot B for this arc.

However, overall, the plots are CBS Procedural Dumb. For instance, in the latest episode, the bad guy federal agent was going to use the "kids drug beads" to make millions of dollars? Exactly how was he going to do this...look up "wholesale drug gangsters" on Google? When the tidiness of Sherlock's brownstone becomes a major point of interest, you know the series is flopping. I do enjoy seeing the NYC filming locations, however. Last season when they were freezing their asses off on fiendishly cold NYC days in costumes made for warmer weather was kind of a vicariously cruel hoot.

Nice to see they are giving Aidan Quinn more lines...but Captain Gregson's role in the dramatic action continues to degrade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 10:46PM by Steve G..
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 08, 2014 07:38AM
Oh, geeeze.

It's a great show, and I've no doubt the FIRST episode of this season was not meant to give anybody warm fuzzies.

Sherlock made a huge mis-step at the end of last season and there are consequences and repercussions to suffer.

I suspect it will take another few episodes before the writers will let almost all be forgiven.

I love the show, and have no reason to believe it won't get back on track. I like Lucy Liu and am glad they let her stand on her own.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: November 08, 2014 07:59AM
The sound quality on this show is horrible. Johnny Lee Miller mumbles & I only understand about half of what he actually says. Way too often the background music overpowers the dialog.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: November 08, 2014 08:45AM
DaviDC.
The sound quality on this show is horrible. Johnny Lee Miller mumbles & I only understand about half of what he actually says. Way too often the background music overpowers the dialog.

closed captions will help immensely.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 08, 2014 09:07AM
WHiiP
DaviDC.

Mandatory on all shows with Brits. And if you are interested in the scripts.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 08, 2014 09:38AM
Steve G.
WHiiP
DaviDC.

Mandatory on all shows with Brits. And if you are interested in the scripts.

I don't seem to have a problem understanding him at all.

Posted by: Randalls
Date: November 08, 2014 09:46AM
Lucy Liu has 2 expressions I am afraid. I'm sure she is a nice person but as far as acting goes....meh. Sherlock on BBC is great.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 08, 2014 10:19AM
I enjoy it. I was not liking the hostility between Watson and Sherlock, but week two dialed it back to wariness so I'm okay now. I'm grateful if the they have truly decided to eliminate the worn-out "will they or won't they" plot point, I only hope it's permanent.

My only objection is that towards the end of last year the crimes were becoming grosser. I worry that the network is pressuring the producers to add more blood and guts to amp up the ratings. One reason I enjoyed the show is it wasn't a gore/sadism fest like every other crime show seems to be.

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: November 08, 2014 10:51AM
Lucy doesn't bother me at all . . . darn it!

Camera

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 08, 2014 11:04AM
Now, if any of you...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 08, 2014 03:56PM
I enjoy it. I was not liking the hostility between Watson and Sherlock, but week two dialed it back to wariness so I'm okay now. I'm grateful if the they have truly decided to eliminate the worn-out "will they or won't they" plot point, I only hope it's permanent.

My only objection is that towards the end of last year the crimes were becoming grosser. I worry that the network is pressuring the producers to add more blood and guts to amp up the ratings. One reason I enjoyed the show is it wasn't a gore/sadism fest like every other crime show seems to be.

This.

All of this.

I don't like the "will they or won't they" device either, but I do like a certain amount of sexual energy sans activity between the leads. Often, but not always, if the two leads get together, the energy is lost. JAG was one of my favorite examples of maintaining the energy.

As to the level of gore, it's disappointing that it's on the rise. I've seen this in almost all of my favorite shows. It borders inducing the Mandy Patinkin Syndrome. Crimes get more heinous and gory. I have a feeling that it may be to attract a younger demographic, the kind that says "Wow, cool! Did you see what happened to his head??"

Sometimes I wonder how it is that the team on Criminal Minds don't all commit suicide.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 09, 2014 04:46PM
Lucy Liu has no emotions......in the past, she has had great track record playing cold *itches for this reason but she can't emote.......and for a role opposite Sherlock Holmes, you need an actor that can......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015