advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
stainless cookware, part 3
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 11, 2014 06:50PM
I recently posted my frustrations trying to clean a new stainless skillet from all-clad. 3d asked me to post a picture and I finally had a chance to do so today. At this point everyone has made it very clear how they feel regarding non-stick vs stainless so I'm just looking for verification that this is how my pan should look after a thorough cleaning with hot water and soap.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: stainless cookware, part 3
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 11, 2014 06:56PM
uh, no.
barkeepers friend after a good hot water soak.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: DavesOven
Date: November 11, 2014 06:57PM
WiFi Oven looks good!
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 11, 2014 07:13PM
WTF. That looks awful. What were you cooking, maple syrup??
Stupid question, but did you use a sponge or scrubber of some sort?

We use these. Buy in bulk from Costco.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 11, 2014 07:14PM
Yeah, you burned on the oil, and essentially started to season it like a cast iron skillet.

Oven cleaner will take care of that with little effort on your part.
Date: November 11, 2014 07:17PM
also stainless is very heat efficient, all-clad or otherwise. I seldom cook over med hi.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 11, 2014 07:25PM
Too hot maybe? Mine don't look like that after I am done.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: davester
Date: November 11, 2014 07:25PM
Looks like a heck of a mess. What are you using, steel wool pads? The more scratches you put in it the harder it's going to be to clean in the future. Perhaps you need to do some reading: [www.google.com]

Also, what oil did you use? I'm guessing that you used something with a low smoke point and took it past the smoke point (i.e. you burned it).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 07:33PM by davester.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 11, 2014 07:28PM
hah, i completely agree with 3d.

3d
WTF. That looks awful. What were you cooking, maple syrup??
Stupid question, but did you use a sponge or scrubber of some sort?

We use these. Buy in bulk from Costco.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 11, 2014 07:32PM
Try this immediately after you use the pan:

- Squirt a little dish liquid in the pan, and then add some cold water from the faucet.

- Use a utensil such as a spatula to scrape the inside of the pan.

Essentially try and deglaze the pan with soap and water.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 11, 2014 07:39PM
freeradical

- Squirt a little dish liquid in the pan, and then add some cold water from the faucet.

Why cold? Detergent seems to work better with warm water.
Date: November 11, 2014 07:50PM
space-time
freeradical

The abrupt temperature change seems to shock stuff loose.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 11, 2014 07:53PM
freeradical
space-time
freeradical

The abrupt temperature change seems to shock stuff loose.

I do that, use cold water, scrape off as much as I can, then go back with dish soap and warm water. Works ok, and when necessary I use bar keepers friend
Date: November 11, 2014 08:01PM
Ok, thanks everyone. Now I know that what I am experiencing is NOT normal. I have done quite a bit of googling and as a result I used medium-low heat. For oil I used vegetable as I hadn't read anything bad about that.

As for cleaning I normally use soap and a soft scrubby brush. I tried moving up to a sponge with the green scrubber on the back with no luck. In the end I did remove the mess using a very aggressive scrubbing pad and a barkeepers equivalent.

I think it's clear I need to go maximum aggression (beyond what I am used to) in order to clean the skillet but it's not completely clear why it gets so bad since most of you have indicated you don't have this problem.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 11, 2014 08:03PM
Going forward, use less heat, wait longer to bring pan up to temp, THEN add oil. Ditto about low smoke point vs. higher smoke point oils. Never add food to oil that's begun to smoke by the way: free radicals=bad. Toss the oil and put new in if that happens.
Date: November 11, 2014 08:04PM
coconut oil. excellent .

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 11, 2014 08:06PM
You'll always need to scrub SS at least a little because it's not slick like seasoned CI nor non/stick. You burned the oil here, regardless.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 11, 2014 08:33PM
davemchine
For oil I used vegetable as I hadn't read anything bad about that.

"Vegetable oil" is meaningless since the term includes about 90% of the different oils out there. Some vegetable oils are only useful for salads, and will burn if you so much as look at them funny. Others can be used for relatively high temperature frying with impunity. I suggest that you read a general cookbook for guidance on cooking with oil.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 08:35PM by davester.
Date: November 11, 2014 08:49PM
I double checked and I am using canola oil. Is that okay or would you recommend something else?
Posted by: billb
Date: November 11, 2014 09:38PM
Wow. That looks like you put it in the oven overnight and baked it.

I'd put a inch of water in it and get the water boiling. ( might be good time to find how low a setting you need for that pan )
after the water has been boiling a bit turn it down to a simmer and work at it with a plastic spatula.

Then a paste from dry laundry soap and water or maybe toothpaste if you don't want to use oven cleaner. They do make one (oven cleaner) that has less fumes. (no corrosive lye )

scratches from normal use should be meaningless. A restaurant doesn't buy new pans every week, they cook at the right temps.

If you put a tiny bit ( not a lot) of cool water in a warm off the stove pan it should warm the water and clean right up without soap or hard scrubbing. I wipe mine out this way and never use soap.

New idea now that you mention canola oil:
High heat and rapeseed oil makes a polymer. You basically varnished your pan.
Warm some more of the same oil in the pan >>simmer<< and see if you can 'soften' it.
If your burner control is scaled 1 they 10 you probably should never go above 4.
It might take a minute or two longer to warm up that slug/mass of metal on the bottom ( and maybe the sides) of that stainless compared to that thin metal teflon coated thing you were used to that likely came up to temp in ten seconds. :-).
The pan had some instructions for heat recommendations ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 09:53PM by billb.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 11, 2014 11:33PM
BARKEEPER'S FRIEND.

It is what it is.
Date: November 12, 2014 12:45AM
N-OS X-tasy!
BARKEEPER'S FRIEND.

It's an excellent cleaner; just make sure that everything is rinsed extra well after this stuff is used since it's poisonous. It contains Oxalic Acid, which is the toxin in rhubarb leaves.
Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: November 12, 2014 01:09AM
Baking soda.

Add a little water to make a thick paste, and coat the pan. Wait several minutes, then scrub with non-metal scrubber.

You can also add some kosher salt as an abrasive.

Works (almost) every time without harsh chemicals.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: November 12, 2014 01:18AM
key to watch how you're using it as well. use this procedure to get a feel for when the pan is ready. I think your pan was actually too cool.

[www.home-ec101.com]

Short version: pan should be hot enough that water beads and rolls around like mercury.

To clean, non-abrasive sponge and dawn first. then, bar keepers friend (do not use "equivalent"; the stuff is cheap; you can get it at lowe's, even).

I agree to deglaze the pan with cool water after you're done cooking. That'll loosen things up.

If it's really bad, put baking soda and water in it, heat it on the stove for a bit, then clean as normal.

Love cooking with stainless. Makes the best pan sauces and gives the best sear. I use only my 3 stainless pans and a couple of cast iron ones. Great stuff.

----------------------
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 12, 2014 07:43AM
I'm always amazed at the expertise on this 'Mac' forum.

We are replacing a 12" skillet, was non-stick.

We might get a stainless - cleanup was an issue with out stainless pans in the past.
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 12, 2014 10:06AM
Except for a little non-stick egg pan. All of our pots and pans are stainless. Calphalon I think. I've NEVER seen one of our pans look like the one the OP posted. Even burnt on crusty bits from breaded fish and burnt bits from pork chops.

Soak it in the sink overnight. In the morning it comes off with some dish soap and a scrubby sponge. It won't look brand new pristine. But no where near as bad as the pic above. As some one else mentioned, if it's tough spritz with some oven cleaner. Or SOS pads. Stainless steel pans are tough. No need to baby it.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 12, 2014 10:14AM
All this commotion cleaning stainless... when you could have just gone with a cast iron pan... winking smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: michaelb
Date: November 12, 2014 10:32AM
what were you cooking? your pan may be too large for what you have in it. Peanut oil is better than canola for high heat, so I use that for any serious stir frying. if and when I have oil stick to a stainless pan like that, I would just scrub it off with a brillo pad. You can't really hurt stainless.
Date: November 12, 2014 10:38AM
Paul I had considered cast iron but I didn't think the weight would work for everyone in our house.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: November 12, 2014 11:15AM
sekker
I'm always amazed at the expertise on this 'Mac' forum.

We are replacing a 12" skillet, was non-stick.

We might get a stainless - cleanup was an issue with out stainless pans in the past.

stainless is a bit more work, but, used and cleaned properly, they come out looking new every time....and they make the best fond and resulting pan sauces.

if you can handle the weight, however, a cast iron is the absolute easiest. Once it's properly seasoned, all you do is clean it out with hot water and a nylon scrub brush.

----------------------
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 12, 2014 12:16PM
davemchine
Paul I had considered cast iron but I didn't think the weight would work for everyone in our house.

Details, details.... smiling smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 12, 2014 12:29PM
Paul F.
davemchine

Details, details.... smiling smiley

Ja! You need zees guys to pump up zose puny arms!

Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: November 12, 2014 12:32PM
Barkeeper's Friend will take care of that for you. Next time you cook, turn the heat down a notch.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: November 12, 2014 12:34PM
Yeah, I don’t know why the oil baked on like that. But I’d be wary of anybody telling you you need to be gentle with stainless steel. I like stainless because I don’t need to baby it. I can get it hot, unlike nonstick, and I can leave it in the sink and scrub it down, unlike cast iron.

I have nonstick pans, stainless steel, cast iron, enamel, and carbon steel. They’re all great in the right situation, but if I had to pick only one, I’d choose stainless.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: November 12, 2014 03:04PM
Question: did you use spray oil? PAM and other spray oils will leave a residue like that.
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: November 13, 2014 10:34AM
apocketfulofwry
Baking soda.

Seconded. I've rescued pans that look waaay worse than yours. I like to mix up a watery paste and then slow/low cook it to a crust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 10:37AM by MysteryGuest.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 14, 2014 02:28PM
Barkeeper's Friend doesn't work when mine do this. So far, spray-on oven cleaner is all I've found that works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020