advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My observations of a Keurig 1.0/1st Gen. brewer so far
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 30, 2014 12:43PM
We recently purchased the K75 Platinum model from Big Lots recently for $120, there's no free K-Cups but
you do get a water filter. It has a larger 72oz. water reservoir, 5 cup settings and is a bit more programmable.

As I've mentioned before I still haven't found a coffee that I like as much as what my 4 cup Mr. Coffee makes.
I've came close with Green Mountain Donut Shop by running it on the 8oz setting and then running the same
K-Cup again on the 4oz. setting, I have large mug. I don't like really strong or bitter coffee. I've tried the
My K-Cup thing and it makes good coffee but wow is it ever a mess the clean up.

Another bad thing is my wife's favorite is the Gevalia Cappuccino stuff at about $1.10/cup. Luckily she only
drinks about 2-3/week.

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My observations of a Keurig 1.0/1st Gen. brewer so far
Posted by: billb
Date: November 30, 2014 01:08PM
Grateful11
I don't like really strong or bitter coffee..

Dunkin Donuts ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 30, 2014 01:45PM
You can get little K Cup filter gizmos and make your own coffee. I use the Melitta system for mine. The DRM system can apparently be bypassed, which is a good thing.
Date: November 30, 2014 02:45PM
So you're using the JavaJig with their paper filters? That's not too bad at $0.12/filter. I didn't realize they
had little paper filters for these reusable K-Cup things.

[www.amazon.com]

Grateful11
Date: November 30, 2014 02:48PM
Anyone using the Ekobrew system with their paper filters? The filters are down around $0.05/filter.

Grateful11
Posted by: Black
Date: November 30, 2014 02:54PM
Can anyone recommend a Keurig machine in the under $100 range? How do I know if it uses the proprietary system or not?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: November 30, 2014 02:56PM
Anyone have the K45 or the K10? Thoughts?

Date: November 30, 2014 03:00PM
The proprietary ones will say 2.0 on the box.

This is probably the best deal out there right now.
[forums.macresource.com]

The week after we bought our K75 1.0 brewer at Big Lots they had 20% off everything in the store which
would have brought it down to $96. They usually run that deal once a month or so.

Grateful11
Date: November 30, 2014 03:04PM
Grateful11
The proprietary ones will say 2.0 on the box.

This is probably the best deal out there right now.
[forums.macresource.com]

The week after we bought our K75 1.0 brewer at Big Lots they had 20% off everything in the store which
would have brought it down to $96. They usually run that deal once a month or so.

Looks like $120 was a very good deal already.

Date: November 30, 2014 03:08PM
Any idea whether the water filter mentioned for the K45 in the Newegg deal is a standard part of the machine, or something else? About how long would a filter last before needing to be changed?
Looks like the K45 is not hard to find for $75 on eBay.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 30, 2014 03:17PM
The K-cup 1.0 machine carried by Costco comes with the same filter, as did my Cuisinart. I'm sure replacement filters are available for purchase.

It is what it is.
Date: November 30, 2014 03:28PM
All the filter appears to be is a tiny bag of activated charcoal. It's suppose to be changed every two months.
We usually fill the Keurig tank from the refrigerator which also filtered, we probably don't need the Keurig filter.

Filters
[www.amazon.com]

Grateful11

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 03:29PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 30, 2014 03:51PM
Black
Anyone have the K45 or the K10? Thoughts?

We have the K45 at work and it has been operating flawlessly for over a year. It gets a daily workout, it is used by 30 or so people throughout the day.

I'm also tempted to get one for $75, even though I already own a Philips Senseo and a Krupps, both which use pods, not K-Cups. Ever since the pod makers and pods got removed from store shelves, the pods can only be ordered online, while Target and Meijer regularly have k-cups on sale. I still think the pod method brews a better cup of coffee, however lately convenience trumps quality.
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 30, 2014 05:07PM
About a month ago I bought a K45 Elite from Kohls for $89.24 after one of their coupons (It was on sale for $119.99). We like it. Might be nice if it had a bigger reservoir, but it's not a big deal. Found equally good deal on the 2.0 version but was turned off by the proprietary K-Cup requirement. And yes, I ordered one of those adapter thingies yesterday, just in case we decide to upgrade in the near future. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 05:09PM by wurm.
Posted by: Kate
Date: November 30, 2014 09:38PM
Am I the only one that still boils water on the stove and uses a Melitta pour over?

Kate
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 30, 2014 10:20PM
Black
Can anyone recommend a Keurig machine in the under $100 range? How do I know if it uses the proprietary system or not?

it's not a Keurig but it uses regular k cups and i've really been enjoying the flexibility:
Hamilton Beach FlexBrew

i do believe i got it at walmart for $89.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: November 30, 2014 11:05PM
Kate
Am I the only one that still boils water on the stove and uses a Melitta pour over?
You are definitely not alone!! coffee smiley Although I do use an electric teakettle for boiling the water...
Date: November 30, 2014 11:45PM
graylocks
Black

it's not a Keurig but it uses regular k cups and i've really been enjoying the flexibility:
Hamilton Beach FlexBrew

Thanks for the tip. Got a bid ready to go on an eBay auction.

Posted by: willmill
Date: December 01, 2014 08:00AM
I was made aware of the David and Goliath coffee war going on between Keurig and the Rogers Family a year or so ago. I had used a number of Keurigs for the past 6 or 7 years and could not find a Kcup brand that I really liked on a daily basis. I happened upon the “San Francisco Bay Organic Coffee” brand on Amazon, that was half the price of other Kcups, and tasted great. I was hooked. Then I heard that Keurig was suing them and that the Rogers Family, who own the company, won the lawsuit. Not to be outdone, Keurig now releases the “Keurig 2.0”, which limits the type of Kcups to only their certified brands. In turn, the Rogers Family supplies a work around for free: [www.rogersfamilyco.com]. I recommend their French Roast which costs less than $25 for 80 kcups using Amazon’s “subscribe and save” option.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 01, 2014 10:00AM
graylocks
Black

Hamilton Beach FlexBrew

possible hazard....

consumer warning....hazard....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: December 01, 2014 05:23PM
Kate

Kate

No, but my ancient old I've had it so long I don't remember where or how I inherited it kettle started leaking so I microwave a cup of water for tea and coffee now.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 01, 2014 09:36PM
Kate

Kate

I recently purchased a really nice French press lately that I'm dying to use -- I just need a teapot for boiling water.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018