Posted by: space-time
Date: December 04, 2014 07:13PM
He gives up

[forums.macresource.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RYF, Dave is selling the skillet
Posted by: billb
Date: December 04, 2014 07:31PM
Field tested and fully broken in bahgin.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 04, 2014 07:34PM
I just recently picked up an 8" Cuisinart model 722-20 stainless steel skillet for $2 at a thrift store.

It works great!
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 04, 2014 09:24PM
Space summed it up quite well. I give. Stainless isn't for me. From the comments in other threads stainless is quite popular so I'm sure someone will pick it up. I tried to price it attractively. :-)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 04, 2014 09:56PM
well, we can help you pick out - as a group, of course - another skillet! new thread!
Date: December 04, 2014 09:56PM
well, we can help you pick out - as a group, of course - another skillet! new thread!
Date: December 04, 2014 10:02PM
My mother is going to loan me a cast iron skillet that she is not using to see if I like that.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 04, 2014 11:03PM
davemchine
My mother is going to loan me a cast iron skillet that she is not using to see if I like that.

Make sure it's properly seasoned before you make a judgement on it...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: December 04, 2014 11:41PM
My mother-in-law (not my mother who is giving me the skillet to try) is a huge cast iron fan. So I'm hoping it goes well.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 05, 2014 10:23AM
Well good luck Dave, though at the price you're asking I think you're awfully optimistic. My feeling is that a standard craigslist price for an item that is perfect is about 50% of retail. Adjust downwards for condition. For example, I just bought a bike that retailed a few years ago for about $1,000 and is just a little scraped up and weathered but otherwise perfect for $145. You're asking 67% of new price for something that looks beat to he11 and will require some serious work to polish up. I'd suggest somewhere south of $50 as a start.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 05, 2014 10:50AM
Davester,

Agreed. At $50 or less, I can definitely see someone buying the pan and putting a bunch of elbow grease in to cleaning it. Same goes for buying the pan and then returning it to All-Clad for replacement, assuming they will cover that under warranty. At $80 or even $70 or so, I'd be inclined to pass on it.

The isn't so much for elbow grease cleanup. It's in the event I had to return the pan to All-Clad for replacement in the event I couldn't get the job done myself. The inconvenience and agita of dealing with the warranty replacement and possible cost of shipping to return it to All-Clad offsets any savings I'd get buy purchasing it as a used pan.

But, Dave did say OBO - So, I'm betting he'd take any reasonable offer. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: December 05, 2014 11:22AM
OK, let's bid!
Posted by: davester
Date: December 05, 2014 11:45AM
I'm in for a nickel!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: December 05, 2014 12:03PM
Hey Dave, I didn't post this before because it seemed you were getting good tips, but here I go:
While the skillet is still hot from regular use, put a stainless steel scrubber and a wet kitchen cloth above it, and go to town.
The steam and abrasion will get rid of everything.

- - -> Please be warned: It will get to hot for the bare hand.

I used to push the combo with a spatula, and it worked good enough.
Now I use a silicon glove and it's quick and effective... I'd think an oven mitten or similar could be used with the same results.

Your skillet seems very nice, it'd be a shame to downgrade because of this small, fixable detail.

At any rate, good luck.

• back to confinement

Date: December 05, 2014 12:03PM
$11
Date: December 05, 2014 02:41PM
$12
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 05, 2014 02:52PM
popcorn smiley

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 05, 2014 02:55PM
You may be correct about the pricing. I plan to list the skillet on eBay this weekend. I'll lower the price but as Robert noted I said OBO in my listing here.

This skillet is the d5 version from All-Clad which has five layers where the normal version only has three. I would hope an interested buyer would see that as an advantage. We will see.

rich in distress, I really appreciate the continued advice. I've found that I spend more time cleaning this skillet than I do cooking or eating combined so it's time for it to go. Hopefully someone with more skills in the kitchen than I have will buy it and be happy. I think if a person didn't care what the pan looked like then it would be perfect for them. It heats quickly and the food cooks very evenly on it. I was impressed with that part of the pan. I didn't have much trouble with food sticking to it. Eggs required a little more oil but overall it wasn't a problem. Cleanup is my only complaint.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 05, 2014 03:00PM
You need a glass bead sandblaster. Shine it right up!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 05, 2014 03:30PM
are you only selling it because it looks ugly? fwiw, restaurant skillets are the ugliest you will ever see, yet people gladly spend $$$$ for entrees cooked in those skillets. . .
Posted by: billb
Date: December 05, 2014 03:51PM
a local restaurant serves some dishes in the skillet

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: December 05, 2014 04:07PM
I've been known to eat out of the pan, too.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 05, 2014 04:24PM
mrbigstuff
I've been known to eat out of the pan, too.

and over the sink? big grin smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: December 05, 2014 04:27PM
I really now what you are talking about; sometimes you just have to let things go because, as good as they may be, they just don't work for you.

Yet, since cleanup is your only complaint...

nah... I won't urge you to try it.

I'll just tell you that I just made a mess in a perfectly clean stainless steel skillet.
Three deboned breasts, oil, s+p, onion and garlic.
Twenty seconds later it was as clean as before I started.

Good luck!

• back to confinement

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 04:28PM by rich in distress.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: December 05, 2014 07:18PM
$13

Mine never get that dirty. I bought a an all clad covered 4 quart at an estate sale last week for $6.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 05, 2014 11:03PM
why do people keep insisting on elbow grease, scrubbing pads and steam, etc, etc, etc.

OVEN CLEANER!!!!!!!!!! If it will strip a century of crud off of an abused cast iron skillet from a garage sale, with several applications, then why not give it a try on stainless?

Sweet Jeebus people!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018