advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have suggestions where to buy men's shirts that fit those who don't have "boy body"?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 07, 2014 09:47AM
When I was in my 20's I was 150 lbs with a 31" waist and was able to fit into shirts that fit the guys you see in most dept store clothing photos:

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have suggestions where to buy men's shirts that fit those who don't have "boy body"?
Date: December 07, 2014 09:48AM
Wow, posted from my iPad and most of my message didn't post

JoeM
Re: Anyone have suggestions where to buy men's shirts that fit those who don't have "boy body"?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 07, 2014 09:50AM
Shop in the men's section. Don't look at 'fitted' shirts.

I have an unusually large neck (size 18 1/2), and as a lifelong asthmatic, I cannot stand to have anything tight on my neck. So I wear a size 19 1/2. And there's room in my work shirts for a whole lot more of me. But since I like loose clothing, it's all good. I'm in my mid 50's, busted up, married over 32 years now, and my personal style is 'rumpled and comfortable'. So I don't care.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 07, 2014 09:58AM
I have lots of luck with Target, Kohls and to a lesser extent, JCPenney.
This 54 yr old with a 38 in waist has not fit into boy style shirts since,
well, never.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 07, 2014 10:02AM
JoeM

Maybe Larry will release an App for posting to the forum... devil smiley

Kingsizedirect . com isn't just for tall winking smiley (tho they can be a little tedious with sending catalogs every few weeks).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 07, 2014 10:06AM
Got on my MP now. I think my iPad is running out of space thanks to the extra bloatware in iOS 8. Here's the original post - thanks guys! (Hmmm, just posted the same way again. I'm trying to edit to paste in now)

When I was in my 20's I was 150 lbs with a 31" waist and was able to fit into shirts that fit the guys you see in most dept store clothing photos.

Now in my 60's, and after years of working out, I'm 200 lbs with a 38" waist and 42" chest. A "large" shirt used to fit fine but lately any shirt I buy in Macy's or similar store seems to be cut snug even though they are not tapered and I feel like the Hulk in them.

Conversely I've bought "large" shirts that look to be cut for giants or overweight middle age guys. I had to send back a number of shirts bought online from Woolrich, a manufacturer I used to buy in stores in the 70's.

Can anyone suggest where I might find shirts, either in store or online that fit the average guy my age?
TIA

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 10:08AM by JoeM.
Date: December 07, 2014 10:12AM
cbelt3
Shop in the men's section. Don't look at 'fitted' shirts.

I have an unusually large neck (size 18 1/2), and as a lifelong asthmatic, I cannot stand to have anything tight on my neck. So I wear a size 19 1/2. And there's room in my work shirts for a whole lot more of me. But since I like loose clothing, it's all good. I'm in my mid 50's, busted up, married over 32 years now, and my personal style is 'rumpled and comfortable'. So I don't care.

Yeah, I do shop in the men's section and these aren't fitted shirts. I think the trend is to cut for college age kids. I had a really good conversation from an older mens clothing salesman and he pretty much said that was going on. He said certain brands cut for certain body types so you need to find out who they are making clothing for.

JoeM
Date: December 07, 2014 10:14AM
DinerDave
I have lots of luck with Target, Kohls and to a lesser extent, JCPenney.
This 54 yr old with a 38 in waist has not fit into boy style shirts since,
well, never.

Dave

I used to do well in Target and JC Penny but over the last couple of years have seen a decline in the quality and fit, for myself and was doing OK in Macy's but they are buying differently now too.

JoeM
Date: December 07, 2014 10:14AM
Filliam H. Muffman
JoeM

Maybe Larry will release an App for posting to the forum... devil smiley

Kingsizedirect . com isn't just for tall winking smiley (tho they can be a little tedious with sending catalogs every few weeks).

Thanks I will check them out.

JoeM
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 07, 2014 10:31AM
Joe,

Woolrich isn't the same as it used to be. Suffered tremendously after the 70s. You didn't say exactly what type of shirts you had in mind. Dress shirts? Casual button down shirts? Flannel shirts?

These days, I buy heavyweight flannel shirts from Duluth Trading. The quality is very good and, in the event of an issue, they are amazing for warranty replacement and customer service. Some of the best in my experience.

[www.duluthtrading.com]

You may also check out a store geared towards work clothing. Work'nGear comes to mind.

Robert
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: December 07, 2014 10:54AM
There's always online options; sorry - out of luck if you have an 81 inch waist, though : (
"If you are 6'2" or taller and/or weigh at least 225 pounds, then you... make a perfect fit with KINGSIZE...Tall sizes are L-7XL. Big sizes are XL-10XL. We feature neck sizes to 26 1/2", sleeve lengths to 40", waists to 80", and shoe sizes to 18."
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 07, 2014 11:09AM
I buy my dress shirts through the Nordstrom website and they fit my larger size just fine. My last shirt was a Classic Fit, 19 neck, 35 arm, and it is very comfortable and attractive. Price was $49 but they do go on sale.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 07, 2014 11:27AM
One more sort of old school is Haband.blair.com, but I have not gotten anything in several years. Their mailers/catalogs could be very annoying. Fifty loose 8" x 5.5" sheets and the last one is the ordering form. My Mom used to order stuff for me from there but it would end up getting returned about a third of the time. Some items fit me back when I was 265.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 07, 2014 11:40AM
I have the same issue with my shoulders. They are kind wide.

Used to be able to wear XL tees to compensate. But now that won't even work. =(

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 07, 2014 11:54AM
JC Penney for my around-town shirts for the last two decades. I buy the button-down Stafford Oxford shirts (16.5 neck). They come in extra long which I don't need thanks to my forum dwarf status at 5' 9", 38" waist (or in my case, 'waste') so regular cut fits me to a tee. I really like how they come with an extra button/buttonhole further down than most shirts. They are also permanent press and made of fairly heavy but flexible fitting fabric. Now if they only had more than two versions of the short sleeve shirts that I wear. [t.jcpenney.com] I have to buy during the three weeks in the spring when they stock short-sleeve shirts. Although my local JCP, about a month ago, was blowing out the last remaining odd sizes for about $7 a shirt (XXL or XLL for pencil-necks.)

My work-outside shirts are mostly flannel and I buy Carhartt, or at least shop at a store that carries Carhartt. Those places sell shirts that will fit a 6' 8" 400 pounder. My go-to place for those shirts is FleetFarm but it is mainly located in Minnesota. As Robert M. advises, Duluth Trading will have what you need.

I would not buy on-line. You really need to see shirts in the store.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 12:17PM by Speedy.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 07, 2014 11:56AM
I buy all my flannel shirts and some of the rest from LL Bean. They all seem to be cut to the full dimensions of a size as compared to shirts I get at J C Penney or Target.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 07, 2014 12:29PM
It costs more, but one option that will completely take care of your need would to use an online tailor to make several shirts to your measurement.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: SteveO
Date: December 07, 2014 12:54PM
Kohl's clothing seems to be generously cut.
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 07, 2014 01:34PM
Try [www.destinationxl.com] big and tall.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: December 07, 2014 01:59PM
Carm
Try [www.destinationxl.com] big and tall.

Seen TV commercials for this place lately, anyone have reports?

My biggest issue is sleeve length, 37" is about right.

=wr=
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 07, 2014 02:17PM
Ive been to one of their Casual Male XL stores and they have a specific XXLT designation with long sleeves. JCPenny is another place that has a similar selection (online selection is better than instore).
Posted by: michaelb
Date: December 07, 2014 02:39PM
For nice shirts, Landsend may have a custom option for not a ridiculous price (it is possible they have stopped offering this option). But they also have lots of sizes and nice oxford dress shirts, including in Trim, which I do like a lot.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: December 07, 2014 03:03PM
Not sure if you want dress shirts, work shirts, casual shirts or where you are located. Sounds like you need the big and tall section of stores--just ask for it--most stores have clerks that take your money and not really helpful otherwise. Most stores have cutoffs for their "regular" mens wear. (44 pants; 17.5 neck in shirts for many stores). Look for the stores that still have tailors or at least salesmen that can measure you. Try Jos Banks, mens warehouse, mens suit/warehouse like Symm's to get measured--key measurement is the neck for lots of shirts- and then find the cheapest place that has the shirts you are looking for--and then find their sales days. You may end of returning some--but I have found the places that are essentially fungible goods for me.
Duluth--has good selection of shirts with the extra 3 inches.
Jos Banks-- for many years big sale the Tuesday before Christmas
DXL--upscale big and tall place; look for the sales; have private label harbor bay;
Casual Male XL--way to find "brands" for big and tall; owned by dxl people
Pennys, macys (department stores) have better catalog choices once you know what you want.
Dillards- in large metro areas, there is almost always a clearance Dillards that stuff get's shipped to)
Good luck and report back please!
Date: December 07, 2014 07:41PM
Thanks everyone. There's a lot of good suggestions here that I'll be trying. Like JoeH, I also really like LLBean.

JoeM
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 07, 2014 09:31PM
At a 38" waist and a 42" chest, you should probably be looking at shirts in an XL instead of an L.

It is what it is.
Date: December 08, 2014 06:13AM
N-OS X-tasy!
At a 38" waist and a 42" chest, you should probably be looking at shirts in an XL instead of an L.

Unfortunately, I can't get XL because when they do fit, the sleeves are always way too long for me.

JoeM
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 08, 2014 08:04AM
I hate long sleeves - I always roll mine up.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018